• 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2015, 10:07 AM
RE: What do you do on the Sabbath?
Watching a Tom Baker Dr. Who. Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2015, 06:35 PM
(27-02-2013 11:59 PM)The Talking Goat Wrote:  Does anyone do anything fun on the days when religious people are congregating? I'm curious to see, since Sunday (the majority of people in this town are Christians) is the slowest day of the week for me.

Lately, I've just been working. Last Sunday though, I came close to dying while mountain biking. That wasn't very fun.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
07-10-2015, 06:48 PM
(07-10-2015 06:35 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 11:59 PM)The Talking Goat Wrote:  Does anyone do anything fun on the days when religious people are congregating? I'm curious to see, since Sunday (the majority of people in this town are Christians) is the slowest day of the week for me.

Lately, I've just been working. Last Sunday though, I came close to dying while mountain biking. That wasn't very fun.

Not a good plan. No

Hope you are okay.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
07-10-2015, 07:47 PM
(07-10-2015 06:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 06:35 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Lately, I've just been working. Last Sunday though, I came close to dying while mountain biking. That wasn't very fun.

Not a good plan. No

Hope you are okay.

I am but it was one of the the most frightening things that I've ever experienced. What happened was I didn't take enough water with me. I ended up getting a flat tire and spent an hour in the hot sun fixing it. Then I got really hot pumping both my tires higher so I could ride the rocky sections of the trail (I was riding a fat bike and had taken the pressure down low to ride the lower, sandy part of the trail) I drank the last of my water and headed back down, which I figured would only take about an hour. But the deep sand really sapped my energy since I was tired from the ride up the pass and I got dehydrated really fast. Within an hour I could not make enough spit to even swallow. I stopped sweating all together and it was in the mid 80's. The trail was mostly downhill on the way out but there were some areas that I had to push the bike through really deep soft sand. I felt like I was going to pass out and I knew I was in big trouble. Finally the trail was all downhill and I cruised the last mile in a few minutes to the car where I guzzled down a gallon of water and then went to some outdoor showers at the national park and wet myself down. I think I was very close to heat stroke. Bad head ache, and nausea. Then I was still really thirsty so I got one of those half gallon gatoraids and downed it. Finally I started feeling better.

Worst of all I felt really stupid. That's how people die in the wilderness. Doing stupid stuff like I did. All because I didn't want to be encumbered with a back pack. I thought three big bottles of water was enough. It wasn't. The worst part was on the upper part of the trail I crossed a deep stream 14 times. The lower part is all sand dunes and there is no water at all. I'm never going out again without a water filter or at least some iodine pills.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
07-10-2015, 07:49 PM
(07-10-2015 07:47 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 06:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Not a good plan. No

Hope you are okay.

I am but it was one of the the most frightening things that I've ever experienced. What happened was I didn't take enough water with me. I ended up getting a flat tire and spent an hour in the hot sun fixing it. Then I got really hot pumping both my tires higher so I could ride the rocky sections of the trail (I was riding a fat bike and had taken the pressure down low to ride the lower, sandy part of the trail) I drank the last of my water and headed back down, which I figured would only take about an hour. But the deep sand really sapped my energy since I was tired from the ride up the pass and I got dehydrated really fast. Within an hour I could not make enough spit to even swallow. I stopped sweating all together and it was in the mid 80's. The trail was mostly downhill on the way out but there were some areas that I had to push the bike through really deep soft sand. I felt like I was going to pass out and I knew I was in big trouble. Finally the trail was all downhill and I cruised the last mile in a few minutes to the car where I guzzled down a gallon of water and then went to some outdoor showers at the national park and wet myself down. I think I was very close to heat stroke. Bad head ache, and nausea. Then I was still really thirsty so I got one of those half gallon gatoraids and downed it. Finally I started feeling better.

Worst of all I felt really stupid. That's how people die in the wilderness. Doing stupid stuff like I did. All because I didn't want to be encumbered with a back pack. I thought three big bottles of water was enough. It wasn't. The worst part was on the upper part of the trail I crossed a deep stream 14 times. The lower part is all sand dunes and there is no water at all. I'm never going out again without a water filter or at least some iodine pills.

I am glad you are okay and glad that the lesson was learned.

Don't do that again - you know we worry. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
07-10-2015, 08:15 PM
(07-10-2015 07:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 07:47 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I am but it was one of the the most frightening things that I've ever experienced. What happened was I didn't take enough water with me. I ended up getting a flat tire and spent an hour in the hot sun fixing it. Then I got really hot pumping both my tires higher so I could ride the rocky sections of the trail (I was riding a fat bike and had taken the pressure down low to ride the lower, sandy part of the trail) I drank the last of my water and headed back down, which I figured would only take about an hour. But the deep sand really sapped my energy since I was tired from the ride up the pass and I got dehydrated really fast. Within an hour I could not make enough spit to even swallow. I stopped sweating all together and it was in the mid 80's. The trail was mostly downhill on the way out but there were some areas that I had to push the bike through really deep soft sand. I felt like I was going to pass out and I knew I was in big trouble. Finally the trail was all downhill and I cruised the last mile in a few minutes to the car where I guzzled down a gallon of water and then went to some outdoor showers at the national park and wet myself down. I think I was very close to heat stroke. Bad head ache, and nausea. Then I was still really thirsty so I got one of those half gallon gatoraids and downed it. Finally I started feeling better.

I am glad you are okay and glad that the lesson was learned.

Don't do that again - you know we worry. Smile

Thanks. It was really fun swooping through those turns in the sand though. In hind sight I should have just filled my bottles in the stream and taken my chances instead of risking heat stroke. Never dreamed things could get so bad so fast.

I am proud that I didn't fallback on old habits and start praying. I knew I was on my own and had to get myself out. No invisible magic being in the sky to help me.

08-10-2015, 09:08 PM
I do a little biking myself, and if you go on a ride that long, even Gatorade isn't necessarily going to cut it. Plus, I'm allergic to citrus, so Gatorade is off the menu for me. Also, drinking stream water will not give you the necessary electrolytes you will need to replace. More of my physical exertion is based in things like pouring cement and building block wall fences in the California sun, not so much biking. Bottom line is, I carry salt tablets (Heat-Tabs is one common name) that provide potassium and sodium chlorides that will help you. With a good filter, you will avoid Giardia if you drink stream water.
08-10-2015, 09:58 PM
(08-10-2015 09:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I do a little biking myself, and if you go on a ride that long, even Gatorade isn't necessarily going to cut it. Plus, I'm allergic to citrus, so Gatorade is off the menu for me. Also, drinking stream water will not give you the necessary electrolytes you will need to replace. More of my physical exertion is based in things like pouring cement and building block wall fences in the California sun, not so much biking. Bottom line is, I carry salt tablets (Heat-Tabs is one common name) that provide potassium and sodium chlorides that will help you. With a good filter, you will avoid Giardia if you drink stream water.

Thanks for the advice. I'm just getting back into mountain biking and I guess I'm not as young and indestructible as I used to be. Have you tried those new energy gels. I usually carry some almond butter for quick energy.

09-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Sunday is still sacred in my house....meant for sleeping in, cooking lots and eating way too well, and spending time with family.
10-10-2015, 01:11 AM
Nothing unusual. It's day no different than others.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.