What do you do with hotel bibles?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2012, 07:21 PM
What do you do with hotel bibles?
You know about all of those Gideon bibles in just about every hotel room in the world right? Well, Marriott hotels do have a book of Mormon in each of theirs instead Confused Anyway, I was thinking of just putting them in the trash but I was hoping you guys could help me be a little more creative than that. Should I simply dog ear and highlight ridiculous verses or maybe insert an atheist organization flyer inside each one I run across? What would you do?

WWSD? (what would Seth do?)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2012, 07:31 PM
RE: What do you do with hotel bibles?
(10-10-2012 07:21 PM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  You know about all of those Gideon bibles in just about every hotel room in the world right? Well, Marriott hotels do have a book of Mormon in each of theirs instead Confused Anyway, I was thinking of just putting them in the trash but I was hoping you guys could help me be a little more creative than that. Should I simply dog ear and highlight ridiculous verses or maybe insert an atheist organization flyer inside each one I run across? What would you do?

WWSD? (what would Seth do?)

I wouldn't destroy them, deface them, or throw them away. If you really feel strongly about it you can always leave information of your own on the subject. Just leave a well reasoned paper or do nothing. That's my 2 cents.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
10-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Does it matter?

I have to wonder, just how many non-Christian people are traveling and get a hotel room, then they're sitting around bored, start rummaging in the drawers and find a bible, decide to read it, and suddenly get an epiphany that causes them to run out and become Christian?

Zero? Nearly zero?

I don't think those bibles are recruiting tools.

It's often been said that the best way to get a Christian to de-convert is to get him to read the bible. If that's even remotely true, then anyone who is actually a non-Christian finding a Gideon bible in a hotel room would probably de-convert to be less Christian than he already is.

On the other hand, maybe a few Christians need some reading material in their hotel rooms and decide to read the bible since they don't have anything better to do. Maybe if you drop them a flier that guides them to an atheist website they would, um, throw it away.

Dog ear and highlight the stupid passages? Well, that might be the best way to get that person asking a hard question or two about their silly mythology.

Of course, it's also often been said that very few Christians actually read their bible, so why would they read a Gideon bible in a hotel room? Just how many Christians are you likely to de-convert?

Zero? Nearly zero?

While I like the idea in principle, I just don't think it would matter much.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
10-10-2012, 07:59 PM
The Gideons have lots of stories about travellers reading these and actually having the epiphany becoming Christians and overcoming whatever crises they were facing. Seems somewhat farfetched but it does get them financial contributions.
10-10-2012, 09:54 PM
I've come across a Hotel or two in my day that didn't restock the bathroom. And let me tell you, those Bibles are a life saver. PRAISE JEBUS!
[+] 8 users Like PoolBoyG's post
10-10-2012, 10:01 PM
I like to make tiny Christmas trees out of them...

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 2 users Like Question's post
10-10-2012, 11:00 PM
I bin 'em and Qurans too.

I've been tempted to leave a copy of The Portable Atheist in each room but that would get too expensive (sometimes 2 per week)

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
11-10-2012, 12:35 AM
(10-10-2012 07:39 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Does it matter?

I have to wonder, just how many non-Christian people are traveling and get a hotel room, then they're sitting around bored, start rummaging in the drawers and find a bible, decide to read it, and suddenly get an epiphany that causes them to run out and become Christian?

Zero? Nearly zero?

It's not the atheists they get. It's the teetering agnostics who are trying to figure it all out but are in a hotel alone and lonely and decide to open to a random page and land on Psalm 25 and make meaning out of a poetry mess and then are SAVED. Smile
And for a Gideon, even ONE matters.

(10-10-2012 11:00 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I bin 'em and Qurans too.

What does that mean?
11-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Honestly?

I open the drawer, see the book, close the drawer and put my things somewhere else.
11-10-2012, 02:02 AM
I thought Bibles in hotel/motel rooms had something to do with AA, not at all.

The Internation Bible Society was founded in 1809. They were the first to began placing Bibles in hotel rooms by 1823.

The Gidions formed in 1899 and have surpassed TIBS in placing Bibles in hotel/motel rooms and expanded to include prisons, hospitals, and military bases, placing 45,000,000 Bibles annually.