What do you even say to that?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2012, 08:09 AM
What do you even say to that?
So I'm taking a Philosophy class online to fulfil the Humanities requirement for my degree plan.

We're in Week 3 of the class and the topic of discussion is the existence of God, so I'm expecting some interesting conversation.

One fellow says, and I quote, "I'm a Christian because I don't believe in evolution or science."

I'm like, "Da fuq?!"

My response to him was, "I think it's great that we live in a free country where we are free to believe whatever we want, but could you elaborate on saying you don't believe in science? That's like saying I don't believe in math."

I'm waiting for a response from this guy, but what do you even say to ignorance on that kind of level? I was kind of floored.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like StatiK's post
13-07-2012, 08:18 AM
RE: What do you even say to that?
(13-07-2012 08:09 AM)StatiK Wrote:  So I'm taking a Philosophy class online to fulfil the Humanities requirement for my degree plan.

We're in Week 3 of the class and the topic of discussion is the existence of God, so I'm expecting some interesting conversation.

One fellow says, and I quote, "I'm a Christian because I don't believe in evolution or science."

I'm like, "Da fuq?!"

My response to him was, "I think it's great that we live in a free country where we are free to believe whatever we want, but could you elaborate on saying you don't believe in science? That's like saying I don't believe in math."

I'm waiting for a response from this guy, but what do you even say to ignorance on that kind of level? I was kind of floored.
Ask him if he has a cell phone or a computer. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
13-07-2012, 08:22 AM
(13-07-2012 08:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-07-2012 08:09 AM)StatiK Wrote:  So I'm taking a Philosophy class online to fulfil the Humanities requirement for my degree plan.

I'm like, "Da fuq?!"

Ask him if he has a cell phone or a computer. Thumbsup

Come on Chas, next you'll be saying advances in medicine came from science and investigation! We all know nothing works better than animal sacrifice and burnt offerings. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 3 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
13-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Your next response is, so you're amish? If they deny being amish then they obviously do not deny science. Even the amish don't deny science though. They just picked a stopping point.

Another good response is, then how did you get to class? Even if they walk I bet they used a paved road. Science is just not something you can ignore.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 3 users Like Lilith Pride's post
13-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Sounds like that's one person who won't learn a thing in school...kind of waste...some kid that wants to learn could be in that spot.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
13-07-2012, 09:02 AM
That deserves some kinda epic fail award for maximum stupidity with minimum verbiage. Evolution and science do not require belief and lack of said unnecessary belief does not require Christianity. How do you respond? Walk away slowly. No sudden movements. Conversation with such a tool will only decrease your intelligence.

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
[+] 12 users Like houseofcantor's post
13-07-2012, 09:03 AM
One can't simply choose to "believe" in evolution or science. However. One can choose to be a complete idiot.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
13-07-2012, 09:19 AM
I am not sure I could even say the words 'I don't believe in science'. It's all around us; all the time.

Now Algebra, I am convinced was made up to keep me from ever graduating. I can find no logic, no reason, and I didn't get the magic decoder ring. The only thing I believe about Algebra is that it is an evil force placed on my path and I can't get around it, over it, destroy it, or even weaken it.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
13-07-2012, 10:09 AM
(13-07-2012 09:19 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I am not sure I could even say the words 'I don't believe in science'. It's all around us; all the time.

Now Algebra, I am convinced was made up to keep me from ever graduating. I can find no logic, no reason, and I didn't get the magic decoder ring. The only thing I believe about Algebra is that it is an evil force placed on my path and I can't get around it, over it, destroy it, or even weaken it.
I am willing to share my magic decoder ring secrets with you.

I am rather highly placed in the Mystic Order of Al Jabber. Bowing

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
13-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Probably couldn't respond in such a way as this, but I would have just said: And I refuse to believe 2+2=4. The real answer is 5!

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan