What do you even say to that?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2012, 11:21 AM
RE: What do you even say to that?
(13-07-2012 09:19 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Now Algebra...

Shocking

That's some kick-ass cool stuff right there. But like LSD, it ain't for everybody.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
13-07-2012, 11:33 AM
LSD might actually help me understand Algebra.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

Woofs hasn't changed my signature because of his banning.
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
13-07-2012, 11:35 AM
(13-07-2012 11:33 AM)Anjele Wrote:  LSD might actually help me understand Algebra.
Experience tells me otherwise. Coffee would be better.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
13-07-2012, 01:49 PM
(13-07-2012 08:09 AM)StatiK Wrote:  So I'm taking a Philosophy class online to fulfil the Humanities requirement for my degree plan.

We're in Week 3 of the class and the topic of discussion is the existence of God, so I'm expecting some interesting conversation.

One fellow says, and I quote, "I'm a Christian because I don't believe in evolution or science."

I'm like, "Da fuq?!"

My response to him was, "I think it's great that we live in a free country where we are free to believe whatever we want, but could you elaborate on saying you don't believe in science? That's like saying I don't believe in math."

I'm waiting for a response from this guy, but what do you even say to ignorance on that kind of level? I was kind of floored.
This is an online class? So, the guy is using a computer and an internet connection? And, he doesn't believe in science? That's like a guy in a car saying he doesn't believe in transportation or a guy eating chicken wings saying he doesn't believe in chickens.

Actually, that would be a good response: tell him you understand his viewpoint and that you don't believe in chickens. Deny the very existence of the chicken. See if you can get him to try to prove to you that chickens exist and just laugh at his naivete.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
13-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Ask him to define "science". He probably has a colloquial definition.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
13-07-2012, 02:26 PM
(13-07-2012 02:12 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ask him to define "science". He probably has a colloquial definition.

Guaranteed he doesn't know what colloquial means.
[+] 5 users Like StatiK's post
13-07-2012, 02:32 PM
(13-07-2012 02:12 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ask him to define "science". He probably has a colloquial definition.
Anyone who would say "I don't believe in evolution or science" has only the dimmest notion of either.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
13-07-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm annoyed at his use of the word because.... I'm a Christian because I don't believe in evolution or science. The way he put it, it just sounds as if these are the only reasons that he's a Christian and not for any other viable reason. Maybe he doesn't have one.

Seems sort of backward to me... wouldn't it be, Because I'm a Christian, I don't believe...? Even that is still kind of defensive.
If one were actually secure, one would just state "I'm a Christian", and then shut the hell up.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
13-07-2012, 02:57 PM
I'd like to think that is what he meant. That's why I want some kind of clarification on the matter before I Hitch-slap him.
13-07-2012, 05:59 PM
(13-07-2012 02:26 PM)StatiK Wrote:  

Guaranteed he doesn't know what colloquial means.

Doesn’t believe in English.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Karl's post