What do you guys think of this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2011, 01:14 PM

What do you guys think of this?
Interesting videos to watch. Sometimes thoughts like these have crossed my mind, but not sure what to make of them. I'm open minded to the ideas myself, curious what you all think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrcWntw9juM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSxluvq5HI0
Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2011, 02:40 PM
RE: What do you guys think of this?
What the *insert a curseword*?
Before I start making jokes about using drugs, can somebody explain me in simple English how that's scientific? I'm having a hard time understanding that guy.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2011, 02:58 PM
My thoughts on this? NOT scientific ideas from someone who's NOT a scientist.
He uses phrases like, "we now understand" and " now we know", but what he's talking about are ideas, not knowledge. I don't like that he is trying to convey what he's talking about as facts instead of ideas.
As for his ideas, I'm not seeing a whole lot of evidence to back them up. If I'm missing that evidence, I'd love for someone to explain it to me.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
13-02-2011, 03:06 PM
He is a scientist . Sadly from Harvard Sad
I don't know what happened to the guy but apparently he followed in a cult like fervor behind Maharishi Mahesh Yogi - a spiritual leader.
I'm only quoting the guy's wiki but it's enough.Look the Natural Law Party and it's platform and you'll understand how this guy's brain got twisted.
He was and still is a particle physicist , but as for affirmations on life I'd recommend he talk to a biologist before starting a verbal diarrhea of pseudo-science crap.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
13-02-2011, 03:18 PM

(13-02-2011 02:58 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  My thoughts on this? NOT scientific ideas from someone who's NOT a scientist.
He uses phrases like, "we now understand" and " now we know", but what he's talking about are ideas, not knowledge. I don't like that he is trying to convey what he's talking about as facts instead of ideas.
As for his ideas, I'm not seeing a whole lot of evidence to back them up. If I'm missing that evidence, I'd love for someone to explain it to me.

That's one thing that rubs me wrong about it, how absolute he is talking. I've pondered things similar to these concepts though. He's making a huge leap in his assessment of a single intelligence, but sometimes I think the "energy" stuff is interesting to think and talk about. You guys ever feel like someone is putting of positive or negative vibes? Energy? Any of you play music? I think sometimes after a few beers it feels like the music flows as you don't think about it too much. I don't know, I have no idea, but I like to give different perspectives some consideration. Or maybe he just has a source on some really good drugs, lol.
13-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Quote:but sometimes I think the "energy" stuff is interesting to think and talk about
Well , in a way we all are "energy" that manifests as matter.These ideas are nice but in my own humble opinion , mental masturbation should be done privately. Yes , I know I'm being a jerk but I've had aforementioned beers so - yeah.
As for positive and negative vibes , depends on life form , and how they interpret. Some gestures may be seen as positive by a human or primate but negative by a wolf.
As for music, it depends what you associate said music with - some may find a song very enjoyable while others may hate it. It's all too relative to make objective rules, absolutes.

BTW - Dbutz , what instrument do you play , let's start an internet band , you know , like Dethklok Tongue

14-02-2011, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2011 08:17 AM by Kikko.)
Quote:You guys ever feel like someone is putting of positive or negative vibes? Energy? Any of you play music? I think sometimes after a few beers it feels like the music flows as you don't think about it too much.
You know why people get incredibly drunk on metal festivals? 'Cause most bands' live sound sucks, but when you're drunk you don't care/notice/remember it.
The music flows because you don't think about it too much, because ethanol reduces your brains' attention. You can play an instrument well when drunk if you've 'mastered' it (or if you're playing a mouth harp), but you also won't notice all the mistakes you make. It may also sound good just because you're drunk. Many people become masters in singing after a few vodka swigs.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
14-02-2011, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2011 10:03 AM by gamutman.)
The stuff he's talking about in video 1 (haven't watched part 2) is what Einstein would have called "Spinoza's God." It's the basis of pantheism and pantheistic thought.

I still say why call it god?

EDIT

Aha! In part two he actually called it the creator, and talked a bunch of Vedic mumbo jumbo. I knew that was where he was going with this.
14-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Quote:I still say why call it god?

The guy was in a political party that advocated a meditation council to "improve" society through meditation - so he added an unnecessary baggage of "spirituality" to his prior understanding of physics , is my best guess.

14-02-2011, 12:01 PM

(13-02-2011 03:41 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  BTW - Dbutz , what instrument do you play , let's start an internet band , you know , like Dethklok Tongue

I play bass, drums and guitar, but in the bands I played in I was on bass. I do a lot of slappin' and poppin' style like Les Claypool and Flea. Metalocalypse is great, love watching it after my ATHF.
Regarding the topic at hand, yes, this guys is certainly stretching with his imagination, but I still try not to let his BS get in the way of some of these concepts. When we look at everything at very small scales, beyond the molecule, the atom, to the level of vibrating strings, it seems that everything is basically made up of the same stuff. There is still a lot to learn about string theory, so I don't agree with the jumping to conclusions just yet, especially that they indicate a collective intelligence.

Still, if you think about the strings within the atoms of the tip of your finger that are next to the strings of the air molecules around you, is there really a way to tell the difference? On that scale, is it really possible to tell where my finger stops and the air begins? In this sense, it would seem that everything is connected and composed of a common material.

Anyways, I find quantum mechanics to be very interesting and I think that we can find more logical hypotheses when we look at the ties between quantum mechanics and how it may have applied to a singularity and our universe before the big bang occurred. I suppose one can consider thinking about these things to be "mental masturbation," but I don't want to silence my mind, that's what religions do. I try to pursue truth and be intellectually honest with myself, which sometimes requires me to give silly concepts enough consideration to discount it on merit instead of my bias that it is just a silly idea.