What do you guys think of this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2011, 12:53 PM
RE: What do you guys think of this?
Quote:ATHF
What's that ?

Quote:of vibrating strings
String theory isn't a mature and predictable model as far as I know.

ALWAYS keep your mind open , never let go of any idea you think can be proven.I respect ideas when they are presented by intellectually honest individuals.I just have been flooded by new age energy solutions that make no sense - sorry if I lashed out at you Sad
Here's a great video on the topic from Randi :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLaZUkFKX6Q

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Quote:Still, if you think about the strings within the atoms of the tip of your finger that are next to the strings of the air molecules around you, is there really a way to tell the difference? On that scale, is it really possible to tell where my finger stops and the air begins? In this sense, it would seem that everything is connected and composed of a common material.
On that scale? Probably not. But the important thing is that on bigger scales we can. It doesn't matter (of course it matters, but not in this case) if everything is made of the same stuff in the smallest scale, because on higher scales there are differences and we can make the distinction where your finger ends and air begins. But even in the atom scale the world is just a bunch of particles behaving naturally.

If everything is indeed made of the same stuff, that doesn't mean that there would be something like a universal conciousness or intelligence. Conciousness and intelligence, as we know them, are biological features.

I accept sharing one's mental masturbation sessions, as long as nobody's told to swallow anything unscientific (which obviously hasn't happened, I just wanted to write that sentence).

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
14-02-2011, 01:22 PM

(14-02-2011 12:53 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  
Quote:ATHF
What's that ?

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Wink Probably one of the strangest cartoons you'd ever see.

Quote:
Quote:of vibrating strings
String theory isn't a mature and predictable model as far as I know.

ALWAYS keep your mind open , never let go of any idea you think can be proven.I respect ideas when they are presented by intellectually honest individuals.I just have been flooded by new age energy solutions that make no sense - sorry if I lashed out at you Sad
Here's a great video on the topic from Randi :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLaZUkFKX6Q

Yes, string theory is still in development and has a long way to go. I think there is something to it though, and a lot to learn as we look deeper and deeper.

No worries, you didn't lash, and in any case, I can take whatever anyone can dish. I don't know it all and will never claim that I do. I understand your frustration with the new age energy solutions, I can't even listen to Chopra any more. Of course, this is the first time I recall hearing this stuff from a particle physicist. I really wish I knew more particle physicists that I could talk to about these ideas though.

Any of you guys watch the show Fringe? It's interesting and they take a lot of mystical ideas and explain them with science (it's fictional of course, but interesting nonetheless).
(14-02-2011 12:53 PM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:Still, if you think about the strings within the atoms of the tip of your finger that are next to the strings of the air molecules around you, is there really a way to tell the difference? On that scale, is it really possible to tell where my finger stops and the air begins? In this sense, it would seem that everything is connected and composed of a common material.
On that scale? Probably not. But the important thing is that on bigger scales we can. It doesn't matter (of course it matters, but not in this case) if everything is made of the same stuff in the smallest scale, because on higher scales there are differences and we can make the distinction where your finger ends and air begins. But even in the atom scale the world is just a bunch of particles behaving naturally.

If everything is indeed made of the same stuff, that doesn't mean that there would be something like a universal conciousness or intelligence. Conciousness and intelligence, as we know them, are biological features.

I accept sharing one's mental masturbation sessions, as long as nobody's told to swallow anything unscientific (which obviously hasn't happened, I just wanted to write that sentence).

ROFL at that last sentence. No, I think we're all better off just swishing it around for a bit to see how it tastes, then spitting it out. Tongue

What I'm getting at about the idea that we're all made of the same stuff, empty space, energy, whatever...is that we're all connected in a way. Just like we're all connected through our origins through evolution. I don't think it points to a universal intelligence necessarily either, but I don't want toss the idea until there is. I suppose that's what makes me an Atheist leaning Agnostic rather than a hard Atheist?
Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Quote:ROFL at that last sentence. No, I think we're all better off just swishing it around for a bit to see how it tastes, then spitting it out. Tongue
Umm...Confused
It will leave a bad taste, but at least you'll know better next time.
Quote:What I'm getting at about the idea that we're all made of the same stuff, empty space, energy, whatever...is that we're all connected in a way. Just like we're all connected through our origins through evolution. I don't think it points to a universal intelligence necessarily either, but I don't want toss the idea until there is. I suppose that's what makes me an Atheist leaning Agnostic rather than a hard Atheist?
We are all sort of connected in a way that we're in the same lump of matter. But that's about it, or at least I can't come up with any other connection, other than the origin connection.
We're all agnostic to a certain level. There's always the possibility, but sometimes the probability is so low that the possibility can be almost ignored.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
15-02-2011, 07:06 AM
I have to remember not to use the "mental masturbation" metaphor from now on - it's consequences are unfortunate.

Also , in regards to connection , I think Neil de Grasse Tyson put it best :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtWB90bVUO8

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
15-02-2011, 08:28 PM

I admit to not being a scientist, but to me this guy sounds like Deepak Chopra (insert confused Michael Shermer face here)

I love thinking about/watching videos/discussing ideas such as a universal energy or whatever, but this guy is so absolutely certain and it's really just a hypothesis...
Quote this message in a reply