What do you hope Mars Curiosity finds ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2012, 03:29 AM
RE: What do you hope Mars Curiosity finds ?
(15-08-2012 11:43 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  You're all wrong. We should be hoping that it finds some type of material that is so valuable on Earth that it makes sense for commercial companies to send average people to mars to collect the material. Without a possible huge profit margin, we will never see a mars colony. Something like the HE3 molecule that is all over the moon, but automated rovers would be too slow to collect.

He3 isn't all over the moon... It's concentration is in the parts per billion range.

Even then Fusion using helium 3 is more difficult than deuterium-tritium fusion and we are still only experimenting with the easiest forms of fusion. He3 has no value to us right now.

Mars is really a quite boring planet (for mining purposes)... and the idea of mining it is ridiculous. Mining asteroids is the way to go.

Dealing with gravity wells like Mars is a major buzz kill.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2012, 03:37 AM
I was not aware of the amount of he3. I was using it as an example. I just hope the first important find up there is not something that disproves religion, because that would disappear real quick. That might even cause our governments to never go back. It needs to be something profitable to get enough humans up there to make sure that a truly important find cannot easily be hidden.
16-08-2012, 06:08 AM
(16-08-2012 03:29 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Mars is really a quite boring planet (for mining purposes)... and the idea of mining it is ridiculous. Mining asteroids is the way to go.

On what do you base that assertion? We don't know enough about Mars to even guess at that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-08-2012, 02:00 PM
[Image: martian.gif]

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 3 users Like k37713's post
16-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Evidence of an ancient civilization would be really cool.
[+] 2 users Like Jeff's post
17-08-2012, 12:16 AM
(16-08-2012 03:15 PM)Jeff Wrote:  Evidence of an ancient civilization would be really cool.

Sadly that would undermine religion and ultimately the governments using religion as a tool. We need something worth money first to get people there. Then finding what was an advanced civilization would be hard to hide.
17-08-2012, 05:09 AM
Proof of life.
Just for the fact that I could rub it in my flatmates face (literally, I would print that out and rub it in his face).

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
17-08-2012, 05:11 AM
- Any kind of life
- Any kind of foreign material not previously discovered (we found different materials in space a while back.. no reason we may not find more on mars)
- Any kind of scientific discovery to aid us here on earth
- Any reason to get humans off this rock and spread elsewhere and give some hope for humanity to survive the next extinction event, whatever and whenever that may be.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
19-08-2012, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2012 10:22 AM by DeepThought.)
(16-08-2012 06:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-08-2012 03:29 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Mars is really a quite boring planet (for mining purposes)... and the idea of mining it is ridiculous. Mining asteroids is the way to go.

On what do you base that assertion? We don't know enough about Mars to even guess at that.

I don't need to make any assertions. Based on the mineral composition of the surface and our experience with this planet we can make some reasonable estimates to what we expect on Mars. We know it's density - gravitational pull + it's exact size + Surface composition + atmosphere = tells us quite a bit.

And yes even if it was made of solid gold it would be pointless to mine. Gravity well is a buzz kill. Mining asteroids FTW! That will be practical long before mining planets.

The other benefit of asteroids is the abundant water. It would be possible to not only use the asteroids for raw materials but also to build shelters in space. Thousands of floating space stations orbiting the sun. Inside 10-20m of solid rock safe from radiation.

The water can be used for drinking and replenishing oxygen supplies. We have retrieved samples of asteroid material and brought them to earth for study.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post