What do you make of these "Atheist converts to Christianity" claims

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2014, 05:06 AM
RE: What do you make of these "Atheist converts to Christianity" claims
I hate to be cynical but I call BS. I find it hard to accept that you understand it is all fabricated lies, then suddenly take a "leap of faith" and say no I was wrong, it all makes sense now...yes, jesus is the lord, my god, my savior, he walked on water, and caused corpses to spring to life, all under the benevolent guidance of his father, the supreme genie in the sky!

No, BS, it is a sales tactic.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2014, 05:49 AM
For some believers (and especially the ones trying to sell you something *cough* Lee Strobel *cough*), I think it's just another tool in their box they like to pull out for extra cred with those who already believe. It's an psychological tool of reinforcement, that says to the audience "Don't worry guys, you all have the right idea! And I know because I used to be part of the opposition *wink wink* until I saw the light!". C.S. Lewis probably gets credit for the trend, although if you both actually read his 'Mere Christianity' and take him at his word, he was an apatheist at best; and by no means was he a modern, skeptical, empirical, rational, naturalist.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-08-2014, 05:52 AM
(06-08-2014 11:38 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Yea I was aware of the scotsman while I was typing it.
I wasn't saying she wasn't a true atheist, like she didn't do it right, only that she may be lying about the whole thing from the get-go.

I think it's very possible, but am willing to concede she has some emotional need to believe. It's like voluntarily locking yourself in jail. There are some stories that are certainly Christian propaganda, they seem scripted, part of the script is:

1. Atheist professor challenges students in a class
2. Student challenges atheist professor by JAQing off
3. Atheist professor cannot respond adequately to being challenged
4. Atheist professor finds Jeebus

Here's an example:

A PHd doesn't know how to answer the "There are no transitional fossils" lie?

This type of underhanded tactic angers me and highlights how bereft they are for justifications for their faith.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
07-08-2014, 06:34 AM
I think some people have a hole in the their "soul" that appears to be filled by religion. I think it is possible for a atheist to convert to religion to get that hole filled even thou the rational part of them knows it is fake. We humans are strange beast at times.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
07-08-2014, 07:28 AM
I think it's pure bullshit. I have never known somebody who was a stone cold atheist to turn around and choose to become a Christian. But, hey, we all know Christians never try to be deceptive to make their religion look like it has credibility, right?

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
07-08-2014, 07:54 AM
They were never really "true" atheists in the first place.
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-08-2014, 08:12 AM
(07-08-2014 07:54 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  They were never really "true" atheists in the first place.
Tongue

I know this in danger of falling into the No True Scotsman fallacy but I think that there is some truth to this, but I also think that we can't have it both ways.

When a religious troll comes on and says "I don't believe in atheism" everyone points out that atheism is just a lack of belief. Some people say that we're all born atheist because we're all born without any belief. If so then I'd argue that the atheists who then become Christians are just people who managed to reach adulthood free of theistic conditioning. They were technically atheists because up until that point they did not have a belief in the existence of a god nor had probably thought much about it. But that doesn't mean to say that they also had the critical thinking skills to figure out for themselves how ludicrous the concept was.

One thing we can be sure of though is that these born again Christians were never gnostic atheists or critical thinkers. They were atheists in the same way that they were a-leprechaunists.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
07-08-2014, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2014 10:44 AM by docskeptic.)
OK. Looks like nobody actually watched the video. As an endoscopist, I boldly go where no man has ever gone before, so I actually watched it.

In summary, this woman was brought up in a religiously apathetic home, with no exposure to religion. She went to a secular university and became an "atheist" by default. She was ignorant of the Bible when she was an atheist, not even understanding doctrines like the Trinity. She was unaware of the content and significance of the gospels despite having a PhD in literature. She describes herself as hating Christians because they kept dragging religious motifs into books that she likes, especially the Chronicles of Narnia, of which she seems to be exceptionally fond.

Her conversion to Christianity was prompted by conversations with a Christian colleague (no details provided) and by reading the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S.Lewis and being convinced that this somehow portrayed a reality more real than her own.

Her arguments are based on feelings, not facts. No reason given as to why she believes there is a God, except for ill-defined "promptings" of the Spirit. Since she only learned about the basics of Christianity after her conversion, her atheism could not have been based on any rational arguments against Christianity.

In short, an apathetic romantic book-lover was convinced by feelings that Christianity is true. No facts involved.

If anyone else got anything else out of the video, post it here. If not, I'd like a collective thank-you for boldly wading through that tedious pile of fetid dingos' kidneys.

Doc
[+] 10 users Like docskeptic's post
07-08-2014, 10:43 AM
(07-08-2014 10:40 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  If anyone else got anything else out of the video, post it here. If not, I'd like a collective thank-you for boldly wading through that tedious pile of fetid dingo's kidneys.

Thanks Doc. We all need fetid-dingo-kidney waders in our society. Just stand downwind and everything's *perfect*. Good job Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-08-2014, 10:49 AM
(07-08-2014 10:40 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  If anyone else got anything else out of the video, post it here. If not, I'd like a collective thank-you for boldly wading through that tedious pile of fetid dingos' kidneys.

Doc

thanks for doing the dirty work kind sir