What do you make of these "Atheist converts to Christianity" claims

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2014, 10:51 AM
RE: What do you make of these "Atheist converts to Christianity" claims
I think there are many reasons. Some examples:

1. Liars who were never really atheists who try to persuade real atheists to convert by claiming that they were convinced to "return" to religion themselves.

2. People who were always atheists who never gave much though one way or the other and then one day were introduced to religion and bought it hook, line, and sinker.

3. People who were brought up in religion, technically considered themselves theists while growing up, weren't very invested in it, and decided they didn't care about it when they became an adult. They then considered themselves atheist while still not giving much thought to it and then later encountered a stronger influence from religion and converted back or to a different religion.

4. People who were strongly religious, became atheist for rational reasons, but then had a personal hallucination experience that convinced them to return to religion.

There are undoubtedly others not listed above too.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
07-08-2014, 10:54 AM
(07-08-2014 10:40 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  If anyone else got anything else out of the video, post it here. If not, I'd like a collective thank-you for boldly wading through that tedious pile of fetid dingos' kidneys.

I skimmed over it the first time it was posted just trying to find the bit where she talks about the moment she decided to become a Christian. I wasn't going to watch it a second time.

The ultimate endurance test is to watch the Star Wars Holiday special all the way through. I never made it past the wookies myself. My husband managed to watch it all somehow but he can be stubborn like that when he sets his mind to it.
07-08-2014, 11:07 AM
My former sibling was a staunch atheist. Then he found that the local church (Ass of God) would provide him with a vast selection of single women. Vwah lah! Now he's an obnoxious Bible-thumping fundamentalist.

Sometimes the reasons are not what you would guess.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
07-08-2014, 11:17 AM
People can believe or disbelieve things for good reasons, or bad reasons.

Not all atheists came to their atheism for good reasons. Their atheism may not be a product of correctly applied skepticism and critical thinking. But that's not to say they are not 'real atheists'.

Then along comes some dishonest apologist (are there any other kind?) and 'dazzles' them with the Cosmological Argument (or some other flawed argument), they don't have the critical thinking skills or grasp of logic to be able to refute these fallacious arguments, and they are convinced.
07-08-2014, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2014 04:09 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(07-08-2014 10:40 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  OK. Looks like nobody actually watched the video. As an endoscopist, I boldly go where no man has ever gone before, so I actually watched it.

In summary, this woman was brought up in a religiously apathetic home, with no exposure to religion. She went to a secular university and became an "atheist" by default. She was ignorant of the Bible when she was an atheist, not even understanding doctrines like the Trinity. She was unaware of the content and significance of the gospels despite having a PhD in literature. She describes herself as hating Christians because they kept dragging religious motifs into books that she likes, especially the Chronicles of Narnia, of which she seems to be exceptionally fond.

Her conversion to Christianity was prompted by conversations with a Christian colleague (no details provided) and by reading the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S.Lewis and being convinced that this somehow portrayed a reality more real than her own.

Her arguments are based on feelings, not facts. No reason given as to why she believes there is a God, except for ill-defined "promptings" of the Spirit. Since she only learned about the basics of Christianity after her conversion, her atheism could not have been based on any rational arguments against Christianity.

In short, an apathetic romantic book-lover was convinced by feelings that Christianity is true. No facts involved.

If anyone else got anything else out of the video, post it here. If not, I'd like a collective thank-you for boldly wading through that tedious pile of fetid dingos' kidneys.

Doc

I know of her as Germy Wanker brought her up as an "authority" when he was infecting this forum. I brought up some of your points. She's not an authority on anything EXCEPT her OWN field, which is not Religion, Biblical Studies, Physics, or Comparative Mythology, or anything to do with theism or atheism. *As if* someone would go to a PhD in Romantic Literature for Open Heart Surgery, or an angioplasty.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-08-2014, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2014 01:25 PM by docskeptic.)
(07-08-2014 11:50 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  *As if* someone would go to a PhD in Ramantic Literature ofr Open Heart Surgery, or an angioplasty.

Oh, I don't know. I know many people who believe something a quack on TV tells them over what their physician says.

And lay off the booze, will ya? Its a bit early in the day for that.

Doc
07-08-2014, 12:12 PM
What do you make of these "Atheist converts to Christianity" claims
I was agnostic for a long time. Raised Christian but agnostic since I was a teenager. Then I read the gospels and became a "believer". I wanted to genuinely understand how and why Christianity was the correct religion. My position as a Christian became absolutely untenable and unjustifiable through this discourse for all the reasons we are all aware of. I abandoned the faith completely. The overwhelming lack of evidence for God convinced me that God simply doesn't exist. If anything my time as a Christian reinforced my eventual Atheism because I searched for real answers deeply and they simply aren't there.
[+] 2 users Like photon9's post
07-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Re: What do you make of these "Atheist converts to Christianity" claims
To be able to bypass the "true" farce. Most of theses types were never skeptical, intellectual, or philosophical lead atheists.

From their attitudes, a holy bunch of them were atheists because they never have a thought to religion or it's counterpart. They were teens or 20 year olds going through lives randomly. Some may have been in the "rebellion" driven stages but I doubt that was a majority.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
07-08-2014, 12:41 PM
I wish I had a dollar for every jesus freak who shows up on a message board and claims he used to be an atheist before jesus shit on his head.

I ignore them. They are liars.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
07-08-2014, 02:12 PM
(07-08-2014 11:07 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  My former sibling was a staunch atheist.
What exactly is a "former sibling"? Do you also have "former parents"? Consider

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post