Poll: If you are an atheist, how do you define atheist?
1) Gods do not exist.
2) No gods exist.
3) Do not accept the claims that gods exist.
4) Do not accept the claims that gods exist due to lack of evidence.
[Show Results]

What do you mean by "Atheist"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2015, 08:08 PM
RE: What do you mean by "Atheist"?
(30-08-2015 07:28 PM)Free Wrote:  
(30-08-2015 07:26 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I don't know what the hell any of that means. Cool What do people proclaiming to be a god have to do with anything?

Well ... to demonstrate my point conclusively, could you please name one single person or thing that is not supernatural, and yet is regarded as a god by anyone?

Some unknown force out there they X person I speak to feels, and knows it's a thing out there that may or may not of unleashed our universe in natural means.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2015, 08:10 PM
(30-08-2015 08:08 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(30-08-2015 07:28 PM)Free Wrote:  Well ... to demonstrate my point conclusively, could you please name one single person or thing that is not supernatural, and yet is regarded as a god by anyone?

Some unknown force out there they X person I speak to feels, and knows it's a thing out there that may or may not of unleashed our universe in natural means.

Okay, now demonstrate its existence.

Tongue

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
30-08-2015, 08:21 PM
(30-08-2015 08:10 PM)Free Wrote:  
(30-08-2015 08:08 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Some unknown force out there they X person I speak to feels, and knows it's a thing out there that may or may not of unleashed our universe in natural means.

Okay, now demonstrate its existence.

Tongue

Aaaaaah I see it Big Grin

It's up to those hippy philosophy club college students I've known of the years to define.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
30-08-2015, 08:36 PM
(30-08-2015 08:21 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(30-08-2015 08:10 PM)Free Wrote:  Okay, now demonstrate its existence.

Tongue

Aaaaaah I see it Big Grin

It's up to those hippy philosophy club college students I've known of the years to define.

Thing is, we could call some insects "gods" if we want. We can claim anything to be a god, anything we want.

But all of it is merely conceptual. Every perception of anything deemed to be godly, or a deity of any kind, is all in our mind.

It's all about the Primacy of Existence verses the Primacy of Consciousness.

I think, therefore I am? Bullshit ...

I am, therefore I think.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
30-08-2015, 09:23 PM
(30-08-2015 11:13 AM)qqq Wrote:  Some theist believe God is a divine this or that.

Di is greek for two.

Bi is latin for two.

vine is a woody plant that travels along the surface of Earth or just under the surface and often climbs a tree towards sun, tho it may rise vertically for other reasons also.

For me di-vine is two vines, male and female the intertwine in a cosmic dance, as they access mind/intellect and approach absolute truths via their relative truth experiences.

Humans are genetically closer to fungus than plants. So to get beyond the asssociation of the plant based word divine to some alledged cosmically divine God, we would need a word from fungus family.

Mycelium?

:heart:q3 Drinking Beverage

That is not the etymology of the word - you just made that up. Facepalm

divine (adj.)
c. 1300, from Old French devin (12c.), from Latin divinus "of a god," from divus "a god," related to deus "god, deity" (see Zeus). Weakened sense of "excellent" had evolved by late 15c.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-08-2015, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2015 09:39 PM by Chas.)
(30-08-2015 04:20 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(30-08-2015 01:34 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I get what you're saying, and I don't disagree with you.

But please grasp what it is that causes us to say "we lack belief".

I can sort of get that. I can think of a similar hesitation on my part when talking with atheists as well. Like with the word "know". Where as I would say I know my parents are my biological parents to others, but since know suggests absolute certainty to many atheists, I have to replace know, with strongly believing.

Quote:It's really very simple. For a moment, pretend that you've never heard of Jesus or anything else in the Bible, and neither has anyone else. Blank all that from your mind.

Now I ask you, "Tell me why you believe there is no Zeus."

Because I'm probably an Alex Rosenberg variety physicalist in this hypothetical scenario, which leaves no room for spooky stuff of pagan religions. My beliefs, my views on reality, my worldview negates the pagan worldview.

Precisely how does the "spooky stuff of pagan religions" substantively differs from the spooky stuff of Christianity? Consider

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-08-2015, 09:33 PM
(30-08-2015 05:57 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(30-08-2015 02:14 PM)Dom Wrote:  I think the word "believe" has too much of an acquired connotation to be used as liberally as some would have me do.

When I think of belief, I think of my aunt's staunch, unwavering belief in the catholic church. It means that she clings to this "belief system" no matter what happens. Nobody and nothing can make her devotion falter.

Really, the word "believe" is more like saying, I don't know this but I think it to be so. I assume it is so. Otherwise "believe" is redundant, there is no need to believe when you actually know something.

Because of these differing perceptions, it is almost impossible to discuss "belief" with theists. We do not mean the same thing.

So I prefer saying that I think that the sun will come up in the morning, and that I think I'll make a run into town later today.

I COULD use the word "believe" in these situations, but "think" or "assume" convey my meaning much better. There is always a possibility that we are blown to smithereens and the sun won't come up tomorrow and if I get distracted enough, I'll postpone my trip into town til tomorrow. But for now, I am assuming these two events are going to happen.

I don't know my parents are my biological parents. I believe they are.

What would you say about yours? That you think they're your biological parents?

I have no reason to believe that they aren't. Drinking Beverage

30-08-2015, 09:38 PM
(30-08-2015 07:26 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I don't know what the hell any of that means. Cool What do people proclaiming to be a god have to do with anything?

Well ... to demonstrate my point conclusively, could you please name one single person or thing that is not supernatural, and yet is regarded as a god by anyone?

John Frum. Drinking Beverage

30-08-2015, 10:22 PM
(30-08-2015 08:36 PM)Free Wrote:  I think, therefore I am? Bullshit ...

I am, therefore I think.

The aynyrandians have multiplied and are now invading. Big Grin

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-08-2015, 10:26 PM

The sun.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post