Poll: If you are an atheist, how do you define atheist?
1) Gods do not exist.
2) No gods exist.
3) Do not accept the claims that gods exist.
4) Do not accept the claims that gods exist due to lack of evidence.
[Show Results]

What do you mean by "Atheist"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2015, 10:48 PM
RE: What do you mean by "Atheist"?
(30-08-2015 07:28 PM)Free Wrote:  Well ... to demonstrate my point conclusively, could you please name one single person or thing that is not supernatural, and yet is regarded as a god by anyone?

I tots successfully resisted! Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2015, 07:08 AM
(30-08-2015 09:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-08-2015 07:28 PM)Free Wrote:  Well ... to demonstrate my point conclusively, could you please name one single person or thing that is not supernatural, and yet is regarded as a god by anyone?

John Frum. Drinking Beverage

If he existed, he was an ordinary man. If anyone wants to believe he was a god, then anyone can worship him.

But also, if anyone wants to think Pablo is a god, we can all worship Pablo too. We can do it to anyone we choose. Anything can be a god if we want it to be.

But nobody and no thing is actually a god, and when claims of any gods surface, we can all rightfully do the Penn Jillette thing and claim, "Bullshit."

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
Find all posts by this user
31-08-2015, 07:16 AM
(30-08-2015 07:28 PM)Free Wrote:  
(30-08-2015 07:26 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I don't know what the hell any of that means. Cool What do people proclaiming to be a god have to do with anything?

Well ... to demonstrate my point conclusively, could you please name one single person or thing that is not supernatural, and yet is regarded as a god by anyone?

Kim Jong-il

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
31-08-2015, 07:20 AM
(31-08-2015 07:16 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  

Kim Jong-il

Ordinary man.

Which atheist thinks any of these people are actually gods?

None of us.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
31-08-2015, 07:38 AM
(30-08-2015 09:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  Precisely how does the "spooky stuff of pagan religions" substantively differs from the spooky stuff of Christianity? Consider

Spooky stuff is spooky stuff. The hypothetical physicalist version would reject all forms of spooky stuff, even Christian ones, as well as commonly paraded secular concepts that requires me to believe in spooky stuff, like "free-thinking".
31-08-2015, 07:40 AM
(30-08-2015 09:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-08-2015 05:57 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don't know my parents are my biological parents. I believe they are.

What would you say about yours? That you think they're your biological parents?

I have no reason to believe that they aren't. Drinking Beverage

But you have reasons to believe they are?
31-08-2015, 08:01 AM
(31-08-2015 07:40 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(30-08-2015 09:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  I have no reason to believe that they aren't. Drinking Beverage

But you have reasons to believe they are?

Yes, there are surely reasons to believe they are, even if I'm not 100% sure.

But belief is not knowledge, though knowledge may lead to belief.

Belief without evidence is the problem, not belief without 100% knowledge.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-08-2015, 08:02 AM
(31-08-2015 07:38 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Spooky stuff is spooky stuff. The hypothetical physicalist version would reject all forms of spooky stuff, even Christian ones, as well as commonly paraded secular concepts that requires me to believe in spooky stuff, like "free-thinking".

Yeah, you had better stay away from that "free thinking" stuff. It has a tendency to destroy religious beliefs and force people to be skeptics.

We can't have any of that going on, now can we?

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
31-08-2015, 09:18 AM
(30-08-2015 07:23 PM)Free Wrote:  Just because someone claims someone else to be a god, does not make that person a god ... unless you "believe" it does?

Do you "believe" it does?

Wink

I don't know, Free; what about UFOs?

... this is my signature!
31-08-2015, 09:25 AM
(31-08-2015 09:18 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(30-08-2015 07:23 PM)Free Wrote:  Just because someone claims someone else to be a god, does not make that person a god ... unless you "believe" it does?

Do you "believe" it does?

Wink

I don't know, Free; what about UFOs?

UFOs? Of course they exist. If one cannot identify an aerial craft as being something they are familiar with, sure ... it's a UFO. That's why the put the "U" in UFO.

Big Grin