Poll: If you are an atheist, how do you define atheist?
1) Gods do not exist.
2) No gods exist.
3) Do not accept the claims that gods exist.
4) Do not accept the claims that gods exist due to lack of evidence.
[Show Results]

What do you mean by "Atheist"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2015, 10:02 AM
RE: What do you mean by "Atheist"?
I find most theological declarations to be not only irrational but in fact, irrelevant. That is not to say I find them innocuous; theology weighs in heavily on damage to humanity.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
27-08-2015, 10:15 AM
What's the difference between 1 and 2? I tried replacing it with other things to see if it made a difference, unicorns don't exist or no unicorns exist, still don't see it. How about "don't believe in gods"? I don't even need someone to make a claim to not believe in it (see unicorn example). I bet there's all sorts of stuff I don't believe in that no one has even made up yet.
27-08-2015, 10:32 AM
They are all the same.

If you take position 4, then you take position 3. And both are congruent with positions 1 and 2.

If I don't accept the god claims made by theists and/or religions, then I don't believe in god(s). Hence, I believe gods don't exist.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
27-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Uh-oh. This thread is off into the epistemological wonderland. Sadcryface2

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-08-2015, 11:57 AM
3. Definition of atheist.
4. Why I'm an atheist.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
27-08-2015, 12:01 PM
Atheist : one who dismisses any/all gods humans have cooked up, so far.

Igtheist : (me) one who says the concept (of a *god*) is not defined sufficiently, that it requires I take a position concerning it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-08-2015, 12:12 PM
(27-08-2015 07:03 AM)OddGamer Wrote:  So... I argue on YouTube a lot. <Waits for snickering to stop.>
I've said several times that "most atheists use the word atheist in a particular way"... but it occurs to me that I really don't have anything backing that. Sooo... what do you mean when you refer to yourself as an atheist?

1) Atheist: Someone who says gods do not exist.
2) Atheist: Someone who says no gods exist.
3) Atheist: Someone who does not accept that any gods exist.
4) Atheist: Someone who does not accept that any gods exist due to lack of evidence.
5) 1 and/or 2
6) 3 and/or 4

While I can understand that the term atheism, encompasses both folks who believe God/s does not exist, as well as those who just lack a belief in God's existence. I've always been puzzled by the fact that most atheists (at least the one's you run into on the internet) feel more comfortable defining themselves as lacking a belief, rather than believing God does not exist.

I have no qualms in saying that I believe Santa, the Tooth Fairy, the Flying Spaghetti Monster do not exist, so I don't really understand why the hesitation among many atheists to say the same in regards to God?
27-08-2015, 12:17 PM
(27-08-2015 12:12 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 07:03 AM)OddGamer Wrote:  So... I argue on YouTube a lot. <Waits for snickering to stop.>
I've said several times that "most atheists use the word atheist in a particular way"... but it occurs to me that I really don't have anything backing that. Sooo... what do you mean when you refer to yourself as an atheist?

1) Atheist: Someone who says gods do not exist.
2) Atheist: Someone who says no gods exist.
3) Atheist: Someone who does not accept that any gods exist.
4) Atheist: Someone who does not accept that any gods exist due to lack of evidence.
5) 1 and/or 2
6) 3 and/or 4

While I can understand that the term atheism, encompasses both folks who believe God/s does not exist, as well as those who just lack a belief in God's existence. I've always been puzzled by the fact that most atheists (at least the one's you run into on the internet) feel more comfortable defining themselves as lacking a belief, rather than believing God does not exist.

I have no qualms in saying that I believe Santa, the Tooth Fairy, the Flying Spaghetti Monster do not exist, so I don't really understand why the hesitation among many atheists to say the same in regards to God?

What hesitation are you referring to? Your anecdote based on your stereotypical view of atheists doesn't hold up even on this very thread.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
27-08-2015, 12:18 PM
(27-08-2015 12:12 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I've always been puzzled by the fact that most atheists (at least the one's you run into on the internet) feel more comfortable defining themselves as lacking a belief, rather than believing God does not exist.

That's 'cause yer dumb. Big Grin

The way I see it, "lack of belief" translates into "you tell me about your belief, I counter with my atheism in that belief." Thumbsup

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
27-08-2015, 12:44 PM
While I consider myself #4, I voted for #3 as far as a definition goes. A lack of evidence isn't required for not believing in any gods, so it shouldn't be part of the definition.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post