Poll: If you are an atheist, how do you define atheist?
1) Gods do not exist.
2) No gods exist.
3) Do not accept the claims that gods exist.
4) Do not accept the claims that gods exist due to lack of evidence.
[Show Results]

What do you mean by "Atheist"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2015, 05:56 PM
RE: What do you mean by "Atheist"?
#6 I don't want that pesky burden of proof around my neck.
Wait... something's different. Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2015, 06:01 PM
(27-08-2015 08:22 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  How about: "takes no position on the existence of gods or the supernatural but lives life as if they do not exist and seeks to understand the natural universe"

Beautifully put, Yankee.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
27-08-2015, 06:02 PM
I kind of hate this undead motherfucking question.

Without at working definition of "god" it's all meaningless anyway.

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
27-08-2015, 06:04 PM
(27-08-2015 05:37 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 05:08 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Lacking a belief in something, means you don't believe it exists.

I lack a belief in if you own an american car. If someone were to interpret this as "he doesn't believe you have an american car" they would be wrong.

Where as if I said I believe you don't own an american car, a claim that I "don't believe you own an american car" would be accurate. Believing something does not exists means you don't believe it exists.

When you tell someone you don't believe them, the implication is that you believe they are not telling the truth, that they're lying to you, or pulling your leg.

Quote:They're the same fucking thing. Saying the former (lack a belief) is to point out to theists that they've got the burden or proof because theists don't understand atheists or atheism.

Of course if you claim to merely lack a belief in something you don't have the burden of proof, duh. Where as a claim that Santa does or does not exist does.

I believe santa does not exist, if I want to convince those that believe in Santa of this, the burden of proof is on me.

I believe God does exist, if I want to to convince those that don't believe in God that he exists, the burden of proof is on me as well.

If I merely lack a belief, than I don't.

It seems to me that the "lack of belief" identifying marker, is driven by a phobia of the "burden of proof".

Lack a belief in something and don't believe it exists. They're not fucking mutually exclusive statements you twit. One can mean both simultaneously!

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
27-08-2015, 06:14 PM
(27-08-2015 12:12 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 07:03 AM)OddGamer Wrote:  So... I argue on YouTube a lot. <Waits for snickering to stop.>
I've said several times that "most atheists use the word atheist in a particular way"... but it occurs to me that I really don't have anything backing that. Sooo... what do you mean when you refer to yourself as an atheist?

1) Atheist: Someone who says gods do not exist.
2) Atheist: Someone who says no gods exist.
3) Atheist: Someone who does not accept that any gods exist.
4) Atheist: Someone who does not accept that any gods exist due to lack of evidence.
5) 1 and/or 2
6) 3 and/or 4

While I can understand that the term atheism, encompasses both folks who believe God/s does not exist, as well as those who just lack a belief in God's existence. I've always been puzzled by the fact that most atheists (at least the one's you run into on the internet) feel more comfortable defining themselves as lacking a belief, rather than believing God does not exist.

I have no qualms in saying that I believe Santa, the Tooth Fairy, the Flying Spaghetti Monster do not exist, so I don't really understand why the hesitation among many atheists to say the same in regards to God?

It's good of you to draw the equation. I don't know anything that lacks evidence. And logically, arguing the negative is a rabbit-hole game. So to make things easier for the simple-minded, I say that yes, your particular god (which one?) might exist, but like the Tooth Fairy, I can say with certainty that I don't believe, not because I've knocked down a good argument, but because a cogent argument was not mounted.

However -- others define god(s) differently than you do, so rather than broad-brush the entire group of theists, I say, "I don't believe in that which lacks evidence, because I have no faith." I can refute the alleged Christian god based on his own internal contradictions, and am happy saying that that twat doesn't exist. And lacking faith, I demand that any theist presenting his god(s) for review must present evidence for the same.
27-08-2015, 06:14 PM
(27-08-2015 06:04 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Lack a belief in something and don't believe it exists. They're not fucking mutually exclusive statements you twit. One can mean both simultaneously!

Neither are believing something doesn't exist, lacking a belief in something existing, and don't believe it exists. Yet each of these terms have acquired distinct connotations, that trying to use them synonymously allows for a great deal of equivocation.

Something evident to any moron hearing these three statements:

1.) I lack a belief in if you own an American car.

2.) I don't believe you have an american car

3.) I believe you don't have an american car.

According to you 1 and 2 have the same implication, when in reality 2 and 3 do.
27-08-2015, 06:16 PM
(27-08-2015 06:14 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 06:04 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Lack a belief in something and don't believe it exists. They're not fucking mutually exclusive statements you twit. One can mean both simultaneously!

Neither are believing something doesn't exist, lacking a belief in something existing, and don't believe it exists. Yet each of these terms have acquired distinct connotations, that trying to use them synonymously allows for a great deal of equivocation.

Something evident to any moron hearing these three statements:

1.) I lack a belief in if you own an American car.

2.) I don't believe you have an american car

3.) I believe you don't have an american car.

According to you 1 and 2 have the same implication, when in reality 2 and 3 do.

Ahhhhhh. You're so fucking stupid it hurts my brain!!!!!!

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
27-08-2015, 06:28 PM
(27-08-2015 06:14 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't know anything that lacks evidence.

Don’t all false claims lack evidence? If so, I’m assuming you do know a variety of claims which are false?

Quote:And logically, arguing the negative is a rabbit-hole game.

I don’t see how it follows that I can’t argue Santa doesn’t exist. In fact arguing that Santa is a fairytale told to children etc, is arguing just that. Where’s the rabbit-hole?

Quote:However -- others define god(s) differently than you do, so rather than broad-brush the entire group of theists, I say, "I don't believe in that which lacks evidence, because I have no faith." I can refute the alleged Christian god based on his own internal contradictions, and am happy saying that that twat doesn't exist.

So in regards to the Christian God, you would say you believe he doesn’t exist. And the basis for this belief are these supposed internal contradictions?

Where as in regards to perhaps some deistic God, you would fall under the “lack of belief” umbrella?
27-08-2015, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2015 07:47 PM by Reltzik.)
(27-08-2015 05:16 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Here's a helpful illustrated guide:

How theists see their religion -

[Image: AvXmRDV.jpg]

How atheists see theists' religion -

[Image: sNUyByH.jpg]

I see theism more like a mix of the following:

[Image: 6880315-santa-claus.jpg]

[Image: MTS_Cynnix-824154-CynnixTinFoilHats2.jpg]

[Image: dnq3WCR.jpg?1]

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

[Image: pope.jpg]

[Image: 131115160349-08-jonestown-massacre-horiz...allery.jpg]

For reference, the "accomplice" in that one wasn't involved at all, the robber just saw the guy talking to someone who looked like a manager and made that part up. The threat was entirely imaginary.

[Image: quote-religion-is-an-insult-to-human-dig...277245.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
27-08-2015, 06:32 PM
(27-08-2015 07:03 AM)OddGamer Wrote:  So... I argue on YouTube a lot. <Waits for snickering to stop.>
I've said several times that "most atheists use the word atheist in a particular way"... but it occurs to me that I really don't have anything backing that. Sooo... what do you mean when you refer to yourself as an atheist?

1) Atheist: Someone who says gods do not exist.
2) Atheist: Someone who says no gods exist.
3) Atheist: Someone who does not accept that any gods exist.
4) Atheist: Someone who does not accept that any gods exist due to lack of evidence.
5) 1 and/or 2
6) 3 and/or 4

When I was an atheist I meant all 6.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED