Poll: If you are an atheist, how do you define atheist?
1) Gods do not exist.
2) No gods exist.
3) Do not accept the claims that gods exist.
4) Do not accept the claims that gods exist due to lack of evidence.
[Show Results]

What do you mean by "Atheist"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2015, 11:55 AM
RE: What do you mean by "Atheist"?
(28-08-2015 11:42 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 11:32 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Spooky action is trippy and awesome.

Obvious mythological construct is obvious. Big Grin

(Man, I love CinemaSins.)

I didn't catch the CinemaSins reference, but I looked it up.

I was being more literal
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/new-...spookiness

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2015, 12:01 PM
(28-08-2015 09:10 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Edit to Add: It occurs to me you may have been asking whether I think I could have a belief in a Deist god, given my acceptance of scientific naturalism. If that be the case, then no, don't think the two concepts are compatible. However, if we were able to demonstrate such a deity via the SM (how this could be, I don't know and can't imagine), then I would have to accept a dual position of "things which work by physics" and "things which make the physics operate in various ways"; what philosophy one might use to describe this position, I'll worry about when and if such evidence turns up.

Deistic Materialism? Consider

I think they can actually be harmonized.
Consider that hypothesis that there is some being capable of making 'universes' that are inaccessible to it after their creation.
It exists in a meta-universe equally/symmetrically inaccessible to us.

Totally unfalsifiable.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-08-2015, 12:02 PM
(28-08-2015 11:55 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 11:42 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Obvious mythological construct is obvious. Big Grin

(Man, I love CinemaSins.)

I didn't catch the CinemaSins reference, but I looked it up.

I was being more literal
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/new-...spookiness

Yes, I caught the "spooky action at a distance" reference to Quantum Mechanics.

QM is nevertheless not a supernatural phenomenon, nor is it any sort of evidence of a deity imposing its will by altering the laws of physics, of which QM is one model to explain various observed and tested phenomena.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
28-08-2015, 12:28 PM
When I say I'm an atheist I mean I do not believe in a god or gods.
So I guess 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.
28-08-2015, 01:02 PM
(28-08-2015 11:32 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 09:10 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I don't see how it'd require the existence of "spooky stuff"; from what I understand of Deism, God operated as First Mover, setting up the physical laws by which the universe (including the Singularity). Science deals with what is testable, and currently we cannot test outside our universe.

If you are aware of some method of testing things that happened in the instant of and "prior to" the Big Bang (quote marks because time is a dimension and there may not BE a "prior to"), please let me know about it.

If you are not aware of this information, then you're being deceptive about my position by building a strawman argument to defeat. Not cool.

Keep in mind that I don't agree with the need for a First Mover, and I'm fairly confident that what happened during the BB will prove to be entirely the product of physics that we don't yet know how to test. But until we do, I must as a practice of intellectual honesty keep room in that "gap" for the possibility that the Deist god (or something like it) exists. Don't think so, but it doesn't hurt me to admit where I don't know things.

Edit to Add: It occurs to me you may have been asking whether I think I could have a belief in a Deist god, given my acceptance of scientific naturalism. If that be the case, then no, don't think the two concepts are compatible. However, if we were able to demonstrate such a deity via the SM (how this could be, I don't know and can't imagine), then I would have to accept a dual position of "things which work by physics" and "things which make the physics operate in various ways"; what philosophy one might use to describe this position, I'll worry about when and if such evidence turns up.

Spooky action is trippy and awesome.

It would be more awesome if it allowed for FTL communication.

Rocket Surgeon, if you haven't, I suggest you read Carl Sagan's Contact. At the very end, he proposes something that might (if it were detected in reality, the work is fiction) count as scientific evidence of intelligent design of the universe. (Real evidence, not the hogwash we keep hearing from ID proponents.)
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
28-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Like TBD says, "all of the above."

Each one applies.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? I am an atheist because it is the natural state of being we are all born into.
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
28-08-2015, 02:05 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2015 02:14 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
What do you mean by "Atheist"?

(but sometimes I like to ruffle people up and say there's no god lol ...just like there's no leprechauns but in reality yes there might be a god and yes there might be leprechauns)

I've always thought of the definition as "someone who lacks belief in a god or gods" nothing more nothing less. No need to mention any reasoning. The definition of atheist Does Not make the claim that NO gods exist. Instead it just means that someone doesn't buy into the claim that God does exist. In other words, "Atheist" makes no claims whatsoever, it only rejects the claim of theism: "A"-theist a.k.a. "not" theist. ...Theism makes a claim. Theism claims that God(s) exists. That's my definition.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes smileXsmileXsmile's post
28-08-2015, 02:38 PM
I don't believe there are any gods. Period.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-08-2015, 03:34 PM
I'm a metheist.

#sigh
28-08-2015, 07:58 PM
(28-08-2015 01:02 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 11:32 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Spooky action is trippy and awesome.

It would be more awesome if it allowed for FTL communication.

Rocket Surgeon, if you haven't, I suggest you read Carl Sagan's Contact. At the very end, he proposes something that might (if it were detected in reality, the work is fiction) count as scientific evidence of intelligent design of the universe. (Real evidence, not the hogwash we keep hearing from ID proponents.)

I have read everything Sagan wrote.

Hail Sagan!

(Y'all motherfuckers need Sagan.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post