Poll: If you are an atheist, how do you define atheist?
1) Gods do not exist.
2) No gods exist.
3) Do not accept the claims that gods exist.
4) Do not accept the claims that gods exist due to lack of evidence.
[Show Results]

What do you mean by "Atheist"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2015, 05:19 AM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2015 06:31 AM by Tomasia.)
RE: What do you mean by "Atheist"?
(28-08-2015 09:10 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I don't see how it'd require the existence of "spooky stuff"; from what I understand of Deism, God operated as First Mover, setting up the physical laws by which the universe (including the Singularity). Science deals with what is testable, and currently we cannot test outside our universe.

What else would he be other than "spooky stuff". He's the source of molecules in motion, but not a molecule in motion himself. He's the creator of matter and the laws of physics, but not composed of matter, or governed by they laws of physics.

He'd be composed of "spooky stuff", like souls, and invisible dragons in the closet would be.

Quote:Keep in mind that I don't agree with the need for a First Mover, and I'm fairly confident that what happened during the BB will prove to be entirely the product of physics that we don't yet know how to test. But until we do, I must as a practice of intellectual honesty keep room in that "gap" for the possibility that the Deist god (or something like it) exists. Don't think so, but it doesn't hurt me to admit where I don't know things.

I don't find anything dishonest about this position of yours, I just find it strange.

It seems to be that Christian God for you would be analogous to Santa, and Tooth Fairies, where as the deist God for you would be "invisible dragon in the garage".

Where as I would say I believe Santa nor the invisible dragon in the garage exist, you'd only feel comfortable believing santa does not exist, and would classify yourself as just lacking a belief in regards the invisible dragon. Would that be accurate?

While you and many here don't subscribe to it, there is a stronger atheist position here, one of physicalism/materialistic monism. When it's suggested that our universe and our existence is a fluke, it's built on such a background. Because if there was some sort of deistic prime mover it wouldn't be a fluke now would it?

If I were to subscribe to the position articulated by folks like Jerry Coyne or Alex Rosenberg, there would be no room for deistic Gods let alone a Christian one. Because their picture of the world negates the existence of such things. And these are positions which these individuals, especially Rosenberg supports by a variety of scientific research and observations. But it seems to me than many atheists are very reluctant to hold such a strong position, which to me just comes off as they are not particularly convinced of an existence that's entirely Godless. They are not entirely convinced that it's all just a fluke.

If they did have such convictions, like I do regarding the non-existence of the invisible dragon, deistic God's go out the window just as easily as Christian one does.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2015, 05:34 AM
Fucking theists are like serial rapists, looking for any hole to stick their "god" in. Dodgy

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-08-2015, 05:48 AM
(29-08-2015 05:19 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 09:10 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I don't see how it'd require the existence of "spooky stuff"; from what I understand of Deism, God operated as First Mover, setting up the physical laws by which the universe (including the Singularity). Science deals with what is testable, and currently we cannot test outside our universe.

What else would he be other than "spooky stuff". He's the source of molecules in motion, but not a molecules in motion himself. He's the creator of matter and the laws of physics, but not composed of matter, or governed by they laws of physics.

He'd composed of "spooky stuff", like souls, and invisible dragons in the closet would be.

Quote:Keep in mind that I don't agree with the need for a First Mover, and I'm fairly confident that what happened during the BB will prove to be entirely the product of physics that we don't yet know how to test. But until we do, I must as a practice of intellectual honesty keep room in that "gap" for the possibility that the Deist god (or something like it) exists. Don't think so, but it doesn't hurt me to admit where I don't know things.

I don't find anything dishonest about this position of yours, I just find it strange.

It seems to be that Christian God for you would be analogous to Santa, and Tooth Fairies, where as the deist God for you would be "invisible dragon in the garage".

Where as I would say I believe Santa nor the invisible dragon in the garage exist, you'd only feel comfortable believing santa does not exist, and would classify yourself as just lacking a belief in regards the invisible dragon. Would that be accurate?

While you and many here don't subscribe to it, there is a stronger atheist position here, one of physicalism/materialistic monism. When it's suggested that our universe and our existence is a fluke, it's built on such a background. Because if there was some sort of deistic prime mover it wouldn't be a fluke now would it?

If I were to subscribe to the position articulated by folks like Jerry Coyne or Alex Rosenberg, there would be no room for deistic Gods let alone a Christian one. Because their picture of the world negates the existence of such things. And these are positions which these individuals, especially Rosenberg supports by a variety of scientific research and observations. But it seems to me than many atheists are very reluctant to hold such a strong position, which to me just comes off as they are not particularly convinced of an existence that's entirely Godless. They are not entirely convinced that it's all just a fluke.

If they did have such convictions, like I do regarding the non-existence of the invisible dragon, deistic God's go out the window just as easily as Christian one does.

Tomasia,

Why don't you just admit that you aren't certain whether or not the universe is a fluke?

I'm agnostic only because I'm well aware of my lack of knowledge about the universe, not because I think there might be some truth to the bible. I'm agnostic because I'm willing to admit that if we're here for absolutely no reason at all, then that seems about as strange as being here for some reason or purpose. Both options sound strange to me, but perhaps that's only due to my lack of understanding. IMO, we need to learn to be comfortable with not having an answer.

Christian god, really?

Christian god: Abraham, kill your son?
Abraham: Ok god, whatever you say.
God: No wait, I was just fucking with you, don't kill your son.

T, Does this sound like a convincing story to you? Does this sound like a perfect being worthy of worship?

You want us to believe that this guy is the source of existence, and he as nothing better to do besides fuck with people? Huh

Please excuse us if we think your story sounds made up..... Drinking Beverage
29-08-2015, 06:04 AM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2015 06:34 AM by qqq.)
One cosmic law/principle goes like this;

....physical/energy cannot be created nor destroyed....

Ergo, our finite, occupied space Universe eternally exists, in some set of dynamic flow of ever transforming shapes/forms.

For those Non-Thinking Atheist or theist, there is no eternal source of creation ergo there exists no creator, except the meta{beyond}physical-1 mind/intellect conceptualizer that many I-verse human individuals have access too.

From my experience here at Non-Thinkin Atheist, or Theist is most who have responded to me have little to no access to the rational, logical common sense aspect of meta{beyond}physical-1.

When they are able to access mind/intellect it appears to be in the fog of glue vapors and most comes out as ridicule and a few in violence. Or so that has been my experience with them to date.

Sad lack of moral and intellectual integrity in my humble oppinion.

Here is link to my definiton of Atheist

Drinking Beverage q3 Heart
29-08-2015, 06:18 AM
(29-08-2015 06:04 AM)qqq Wrote:  One cosmic law/principle goes like this;

Ergo, our finite, occupied space Universe eternally exists, in some set of dynamic flow of ever transforming shapes/forms.

For those Non-Thinking Atheist or theist, there is no eternal source of creation ergo there exists no creator, except the meta{beyond}physical-1 mind/intellect conceptualizer that many I-verse human individuals have access too.

From my experience here at Non-Thinkin Atheist most who have responded tome have access to the rational, logical common sense aspect of meta{beyond}physical-1.

When they are able to access mind/intellect it appears to be in the fog of glue vapors and most comes out as ridicule and a few in violence. Or so that has been my experience with them to date.

Sad lack of moral and intellectual integrity in my humble oppinnion.

Humble opinion? That's laughable.
Your post has fuck-all to do with the OP. Take your bottle of lotion and tissues and get your jollies off elsewhere. Or at least post something different. This shit is getting repetitive.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
29-08-2015, 06:26 AM
(29-08-2015 05:48 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Tomasia,

Why don't you just admit that you aren't certain whether or not the universe is a fluke?

I’m not absolutely certain the universe is a fluke. I don’t know the universe is not a fluke. I believe it isn’t. I’m not absolutely certain my parents are my biological parents, I don’t know they are. I believe they are. And we could say I believe strongly in both of these cases.

Quote:Christian god, really?

Christian god: Abraham, kill your son?
God: No wait, I was just fucking with you, don't kill your son.

Abraham: Ok god, whatever you say.T, Does this sound like a convincing story to you? Does this sound like a perfect being worthy of worship?

Definitely not your rendition of the story.

The real story is about faith not God. God is a just prop in the story, like in Job. But this is an entirely different discussion all together.

Quote: and he as nothing better to do besides fuck with people?

No, I don’t believe that.

Quote:Please excuse us if we think your story sounds made up.....

By made up you mean, not a historical account of a man who heard a voice commanding him to kill his son, and took him up a hill to commit the act? If by made-up you mean there are no real historical facts in that story, than I can’t say that i disagree with you.
29-08-2015, 06:33 AM

Holy fuck, I think I actually understood that and it isn't totally irrational.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
29-08-2015, 06:36 AM
(29-08-2015 06:33 AM)unfogged Wrote:  

Holy fuck, I think I actually understood that and it isn't totally irrational.

Don't encourage it. Angry

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-08-2015, 06:37 AM
(29-08-2015 06:04 AM)qqq Wrote:  Ergo, our finite, occupied space Universe eternally exists, in some set of dynamic flow of ever transforming shapes/forms.

I feel you dawg. It's all like coral reefs and crochets and shit. I seen a lobster on youtube knitting a sweater, and I was lack damn..mind blown.
[+] 2 users Like Tomasia's post
29-08-2015, 06:41 AM
(29-08-2015 06:33 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Holy fuck, I think I actually understood that and it isn't totally irrational.

I think you may mean hole-in-one fuck.

Holy fuck may be related to only those that are consentual.

{W}holy fuck is a totality differrent scenario, all-together

A hole-less fuck is male masturbation tho a hole is enesscapably a part of the scenario, alltho only as an after-word, or after-verse, or after-thought. imho