What do you most dislike about TTA forums? (Bitch Session)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2013, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2013 07:51 AM by Anjele.)
RE: What do you most dislike about TTA forums? (Bitch Session)
Coming in with threats of hell and calling Atheists ignorant and all the other crap is what gets people piled on. If someone comes in, is cordial, funny, and (here's the important part) genuinely interested in give and take, they are pretty well received.

Too many open with trash talk.

As for Egor...he has been all over the board in the time I was here. He basically dismissed women every when approached in a civil and interested manner.

And how the hell are people going to pile on KC? He is, after all, the chosen King of this place...damn.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
26-06-2013, 08:25 PM
(26-06-2013 08:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  Others just come here to preach and try to collect brownies from their gods.

There are two kinds of "preacher" for me. There are one who are here to spout off in our faces and are assholes. Then there are ones who are set in their faith but are here for the debate and are totally cool about it. They should be treated with respect, and they usually are to begin with, but that goes out the window the minute they don't instantly shed their beliefs.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 3 users Like Hughsie's post
26-06-2013, 11:23 PM
(26-06-2013 08:25 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  They should be treated with respect, and they usually are to begin with, but that goes out the window the minute they don't instantly shed their beliefs.

Respect is earned. Most of the clowns we see, we start by being interested in what they have to say, but we also give them enough rope and they (mostly) duly hang themselves. Once they've proved to be assholes masquerading as interesting people, fuck them. The Theist, aka David Lee, is one example that I can think of. Both times he came here, he initially started off very well, having polite convos etc, and even got rep ratings for being a good guy (at least the first time around), but eventually his true colours showed when it became obvious that he wasn't winning any arguments, and the first time he had a melt down where he told everyone in sight to go fuck themselves, the second time he just fucked off. Why should I waste my time respecting someone like that ?
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-06-2013, 12:16 AM
I miss Mojch, too.

And I ... I want a weed button. Weeping Oh, the humanity...

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
27-06-2013, 12:35 AM
(27-06-2013 12:16 AM)kim Wrote:  And I ... I want a weed button. Weeping Oh, the humanity...
[Image: designall.dll?rlvnet=1&realview=...ax_dim=512]

It only costs ~$6
http://www.zazzle.com.au/legalise_weed_b...7969875939

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 5 users Like DeepThought's post
27-06-2013, 08:18 AM
(26-06-2013 08:25 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(26-06-2013 08:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  Others just come here to preach and try to collect brownies from their gods.

There are two kinds of "preacher" for me. There are one who are here to spout off in our faces and are assholes. Then there are ones who are set in their faith but are here for the debate and are totally cool about it. They should be treated with respect, and they usually are to begin with, but that goes out the window the minute they don't instantly shed their beliefs.

Hughsie, I didn't see that happen with Mojch, and I keep bringing up his name because, aside from KC, he is the only theist in my time here that earned my respect with his demeanor, intelligence and what to me was a genuine interest in exchange of ideas. He cetainly didn't shed his beliefs.

So do you think there might be a way of diferentiating the two types you describe from the word "go"? If there is I'm all for it.

Perhaps with two new threads: One titled
"Welcome Theists who genuinely want to explore their own beliefs in a cordial and intelligent manner"
and the other
"Theists who come to preach, proselytize, mock, piss on, troll and be total assholes"

Of course I write this sarcastically but I really don't see how a new theist poster can be measured until they begin to post. I know I've written about this before giving examples.

The other thing that comes to mind is having them post in the Personal Issues and Support thread if they are truly looking for sincere answers and are questioning their beliefs. Maybe they should be told to start there.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
27-06-2013, 09:10 AM
To quench my own curiosity I've gone back and read the first few posts by the following:

theword's intro post with Erxy's response
(02-06-2013 11:12 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(02-06-2013 08:24 PM)theword Wrote:  Hello, how is everyone? I hope to engage in some interesting conversations here. I will respect your opinions, I hope you can respect mine.
But then again, respect is a two way street. We will see what happens. Thanks.

Your second post. Before anyone has had a chance to interact with you. I'm already entertained by your definition of respect. Laughat

3rd post with Rev's response, (by this time freethought and evenheathen already smelled trouble)
(02-06-2013 10:35 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-06-2013 10:20 PM)theword Wrote:  In the beginning was the Word

Oh this one could be fun if it's not just a drive-by.

Mojch 1st post with Mark Fulton's response

(20-05-2013 02:38 PM)Mojch Wrote:  Second, I am a theist looking for an in-depth attack on my beliefs from an atheist willing to take the time to explain his arguments and respond to my counter-arguments. I am not interested in converting anyone. Instead, I seek to affirm the foundations of my own beliefs by testing them against arguments that have persuaded others.

(20-05-2013 04:09 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  You're on!
When do we start? Regards, Mark

With David Lee, as morondog pointed out, started out benignly
(17-06-2013 08:07 PM)David Lee Wrote:  Hello, everyone, I'm a theist interested in atheist vs theist debate.

but then it went downhill from there. The thread of Noah's Ark devolved quickly into name calling

Heywood Jahblome started off OK and FSM_Scott, Chas, Vosur all responded in kind
(24-02-2013 03:04 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Hi all, First time poster in this forum. I am a theist and I wish to comment on the the question, "Can God create a rock so heavy that he himself can't move it". Perhaps someone else made the point I am about to make and if they did I apologize for the duplication.

childeye's first post with KC's response
(15-04-2013 08:51 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 08:05 AM)childeye Wrote:  Hi, I am a believer in the Christ. I have registered here because I am curious as to reasons why people don't believe in the Christ or even God for that matter. I am looking forward to some interesting discussion.

We shall see.

Not many Christians have proved themselves around this part. Most are hostile preachers; void of any logic and cognitive ability.

I welcome a breath of fresh air and hope you are this.

In just those examples I could not find an immediate flaming, intros and first few posts were treated with healthy skepticism (of course) but mostly civil dialogue. I think It all depended on the tone of the poster. I thought I'd find more flaming but that isn't the case. Not until later posts when true colors come out do theists get a hostile reaction.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
27-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Some of these (and I agree, Mjoch was a great guy and I wish he would come back, I still have something to discuss with him) come here with intentions we don't know, unless we are mind readers.

It could well be that they are putting forth the very things they have some doubts about - in the hopes that they will find answers one way or another.

Then they get a dozen of us responding, some nicely, some aggressively. Some of us just have a lot more knowledge and piling all of that on at once is overwhelming to the newbie theist here. They get overwhelmed. They get belligerent like a cornered animal. And back to the safety of the church they run.

That's what I see happening from time to time, and it always makes me sad.

Lots of people just are not equipped to debate properly. They don't have that knowledge. They are just indoctrinated people who may be looking for a way out. We sometimes make them feel like they are too stupid or too ignorant to talk to us.

Heck, I don't know shit about the bible or any other religious book. I looked at it in a very simplistic way, the mind of a 10 year old, and thought it was a bunch of fabrications. Try to debate me on bible details and I don't have a leg to stand on.

Having a dozen people pluck apart your every word can be daunting enough, adding in belligerence and people will run for the hills or get belligerent. No mystery there.

I think a lot of us here are hungry for a real debate. A lot of Christians are just not equipped for this. All they know is what their religious leader told them...

So my recommendation when talking to them would be KISS - keep it simple, stupid!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
27-06-2013, 10:02 AM
(27-06-2013 09:10 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  In just those examples I could not find an immediate flaming, intros and first few posts were treated with healthy skepticism (of course) but mostly civil dialogue.

There's an unwritten policy to keep the assholery out of the intro section. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-06-2013, 05:11 PM
(26-06-2013 06:28 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(26-06-2013 06:11 AM)Magoo Wrote:  The fact that people actually take Egor seriously. Why has every one not coped on yet that he is a troll? Seriously?

Where did this come from? Egor's been gone a long time...

He asked for his account to be removed.

WHAT?

Thank god!
[+] 4 users Like Magoo's post