What do you most dislike about TTA forums? (Bitch Session)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2013, 04:34 PM
RE: What do you most dislike about TTA forums? (Bitch Session)
(28-06-2013 04:26 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  That's different and you know it.
I do ? Good to know.

Quote:Atheists who used to go to church used to believe but stopped going when their views changed. We get many Christians sign up here claiming to look for debate, why do they leave so quickly? Are they all assholes, or is there something about this place that stops it appealing to the reasonable ones too?
Did you get the bit where I said they don't like us ?

Quote:I think you should debate his points. Making jokes at his expense, being passive aggressive, or being openly hostile are unwarranted.
You are welcome to debate his points. If I feel like a bit of trash-talk I'm 100% going to do that. I'm *tired* of debating on their terms. I refuse to put any line of questioning off limits, that's rubbishy debate. And if he gets all insulted ? I'm not his mummy.

I'm normally quite happy to chat to these fellas, I should point out. I just think your 'hypocritical' and 'you should do x' comments are... *unwarranted* with respect to most of our regular posters. And if one of those guys unloads a bit of a rant on some unsuspecting passerby ? I fully support that. Caveat emptor etc. It's not like we don't advertise that we're a den of iniquity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
28-06-2013, 04:36 PM
(28-06-2013 04:22 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 04:10 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Would it be fair to say that it is perfectly understandable that we on this forum should be highly skeptical as to the reasons any theist would walk into TTA?

No, I've joined several Christian forums without having the intention to cause trouble. I expect not to be faced with initial hostility from people who have nothing to judge me on. I also would like to provide the same atmosphere to others.

(28-06-2013 04:10 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Would it be fair to say that the majority of the forum members here have a very good reason to be defensive and touchy about being preached to, proselytized to and being otherwise insulted by theists?

No. We should be objective and free from prejudice. Judging someone based on another person they don't know and have nothing to do with is wrong. We should judge people individually.

(28-06-2013 04:10 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Would it be fair to say that whenever a self-proclaimed theist announces themselves the vast majority, from what I have seen, are NOT here because of self-doubts or because they are exploring their beliefs but rather to openly challange our non belief?

I think many are here looking for debate, and I see nothing wrong with that.

(28-06-2013 04:10 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The collective accuracy of the Bullshitometer/Trollometer on this forum is 100% as far as I have seen. Again, I point you to Mojch, when he got some undeserved and unjustified crap others immediately came to his defense.

People still try and tell me Egor was here simply to troll. That tells me that the trollometer needs some serious re-tuning, to say the least.

Hughsie, you either read something into my questions that wasn't there or you misunderstood them. I thought I was pretty clear so I'm going to drop the discussion if you're going to deliberately avoid answering straightforward questions.

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
28-06-2013, 04:44 PM
(28-06-2013 04:33 PM)cufflink Wrote:  My 2 cents: Don't ban asshole theists. Keep things as they are.

Christ no! Who would we laugh at then ? Also no one is talking of banning at all afaik Wink We're just talking about possibly maybe being slightly nicer to our theologically endowed friends. The general consensus is fuck em Big Grin
28-06-2013, 04:45 PM
(28-06-2013 04:33 PM)cufflink Wrote:  My 2 cents: Don't ban asshole theists. Keep things as they are.

Three reasons:

First, if we start banning asshole theists (hereinafter ATs), we're heading down a slippery slope: there's a lot more assholery that could be up for banning. I'd put the Holocaust deniers at the top of my personal list; I find them much more offensive, and dangerous, than the fundie-bunnies who tell me I'm going to hell. Others might object to the use of the N-word, say. (I seem to remember something about that.) Where do you stop?

Second, ATs don't get to strew their garbage without being jumped on. Plenty of people here have the background, smarts, time and energy to answer ATs effectively. The ATs are always way outnumbered, outargued, and out-mocked. Sometimes it seems kind of like a sport, and I get the feeling some of us get a kick out of playing it. I don't see much wrong with that.

Third, I think it can be instructive for newbies to see how ATs can be dealt with. Even if we were to move in the safe-haven direction and ban ATs, someone fragile who's just deconverted is going to continue to encounter them IRL. Better they see how experienced atheists knock them down so they can hopefully learn how to do the same beyond the forum.

Basically, we're back to the perennial philosophical issue: which do we value more highly--safety/security/comfort or untrammeled freedom of expression? I don't think it's an easy question, and I've found myself vacillating on it. But most of the time I come down on the side of freedom of expression.

I mostly agree with you, my only difference is when the AT becomes tiresomely obtuse, repetitive, and abusive he brings nothing - not even entertainment - to the forum.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-06-2013, 04:46 PM
What do I dislike most about the Forum?

MY FUCKING TIME-ZONE IS NEVER CORRECT!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
28-06-2013, 04:55 PM
(28-06-2013 04:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  When you have some actual evidence of over-reaction, provide it. Otherwise, you simply have an ideological or emotional argument.

For the millionth time. There have been several occasions over the 2+ years I've been here that I've felt a theist has been overreacted to. Shockingly, I did not make a record of the date, username, and weather that day.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
28-06-2013, 04:56 PM
(28-06-2013 04:36 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hughsie, you either read something into my questions that wasn't there or you misunderstood them. I thought I was pretty clear so I'm going to drop the discussion if you're going to deliberately avoid answering straightforward questions.

Now you've completely lost me. You asked questions and I felt I answered them, I even took the time to separate out the post so the individual answers matched the questions.

What am I missing here?

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
28-06-2013, 04:57 PM
(28-06-2013 04:55 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 04:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  When you have some actual evidence of over-reaction, provide it. Otherwise, you simply have an ideological or emotional argument.

For the millionth time. There have been several occasions over the 2+ years I've been here that I've felt a theist has been overreacted to. Shockingly, I did not make a record of the date, username, and weather that day.

Your feelings are not facts.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-06-2013, 04:58 PM
(28-06-2013 04:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your feelings are not facts.Drinking Beverage

No, there are opinions. This whole debate is regarding opinion as there is no objective measurement for the treatment of theists.

Best
Worst
28-06-2013, 05:00 PM
(28-06-2013 04:55 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  

You claim we *always* are hostile to theists when they show up, we asked for examples and even gave some of our own to counter you point and your response is this? It's an evasion and at this point you're just refusing to admit that maybe you are wrong.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post