What do you most dislike about TTA forums? (Bitch Session)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2013, 05:02 PM
RE: What do you most dislike about TTA forums? (Bitch Session)
(28-06-2013 04:58 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 04:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your feelings are not facts.Drinking Beverage

No, there are opinions. This whole debate is regarding opinion as there is no objective measurement for the treatment of theists.

There are records... not that I'm volunteering to go find them.

And *everyone* else has a bit of a different version of events to your opinion mate Wink So you'se gotta bring something more to the table if you wanna castigate us miserable lot. Not gonna hang my head in shame for no hypothetical.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2013, 05:02 PM
(28-06-2013 05:00 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You claim we *always* are hostile to theists when they show up, we asked for examples and even gave some of our own to counter you point and your response is this? It's an evasion and at this point you're just refusing to admit that maybe you are wrong.

Not always, sometimes.

And seriously? So when some guy signed up saying he was a theist back in Feb 2012, was, in my opinion, treated harshly, and left without reaching 10 posts I was supposed to have made a record because I somehow was supposed to foresee this whole argument? Or am I just supposed to have a really good memory?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
28-06-2013, 05:03 PM
I kinda see things from both sides of the fence. Theists who come here know exactly what they're walking into, and I think a lot of times they do it just so they can get the negative reaction they want and go running back to their own circles exclaiming their moral victory.

Most times I don't care. Many come in with a douchey attitude and they get sent out on a rail. I'm all for that.

But sometimes I am taken aback at how a new theist will show up without a douchey attitude and be completely swarmed and overwhelmed by the automatic knee jerk hostility that is thrown at them.

To be fair, most times the hostility is reasonably aimed at the religion or belief and not necessarily at the poster. Conceding that point, often the perceived tact of our onslaught is personal and I can see how it might be taken as such. I've been pretty reserved as of late from posting anything to new theists because it's hard to get a word in edgewise. I can see why they don't stick around long, we tend to be quite intimidating as a whole.

As has been pointed out, the true assholery is generally reserved for when said theist becomes hostile towards us, but generally said theist is backed into a corner and goaded into defensive behavior before any true dialogue can be meted out. I think we might do well to try and tone it down.

On the other hand, this is an atheist forum and fuck em if they walk into the ring and get a blow to the head. I can appreciate both points of view.

As a forum that prides itself for it's policies on free speech and acceptance of all views, I don't know that perhaps a little more effort could be made to let a new poster make his points of view be known before being grilled with general anti-theist remarks and questions.

Or not. I'm pretty good either way. Carry on. Drinking Beverage

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
28-06-2013, 05:03 PM
(28-06-2013 05:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  There are records... not that I'm volunteering to go find them.

And *everyone* else has a bit of a different version of events to your opinion mate Wink So you'se gotta bring something more to the table if you wanna castigate us miserable lot. Not gonna hang my head in shame for no hypothetical.

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion, I know they won't change it. I feel it's my opinion that's under attack and I'm not gonna be told I can't hold it.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
28-06-2013, 05:04 PM
(28-06-2013 05:02 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 05:00 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You claim we *always* are hostile to theists when they show up, we asked for examples and even gave some of our own to counter you point and your response is this? It's an evasion and at this point you're just refusing to admit that maybe you are wrong.

Not always, sometimes.

And seriously? So when some guy signed up saying he was a theist back in Feb 2012, was, in my opinion, treated harshly, and left without reaching 10 posts I was supposed to have made a record because I somehow was supposed to foresee this whole argument? Or am I just supposed to have a really good memory?

You were asked for evidence to back up your claims. That's how we roll here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-06-2013, 05:05 PM
(28-06-2013 05:02 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  

Not always, sometimes.

If it was some guy in feb 2012 how many people from then are still around and active? So you're yelling at the wrong people, as has been shown in the last 3+ months no one has done what you're claiming so yes if you want to keep making the claim back it up with even 1 piece of evidence.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
(28-06-2013 05:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  You were asked for evidence to back up your claims. That's how we roll here.

And I gave a very valid reason as to why I can't present it. Yet I get accused of being purposely evasive, which must mean I was supposed to have done one of the two aforementioned things.

Best
Worst
(28-06-2013 05:03 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I kinda see things from both sides of the fence. Theists who come here know exactly what they're walking into, and I think a lot of times they do it just so they can get the negative reaction they want and go running back to their own circles exclaiming their moral victory.

Most times I don't care. Many come in with a douchey attitude and they get sent out on a rail. I'm all for that.

But sometimes I am taken aback at how a new theist will show up without a douchey attitude and be completely swarmed and overwhelmed by the automatic knee jerk hostility that is thrown at them.

To be fair, most times the hostility is reasonably aimed at the religion or belief and not necessarily at the poster. Conceding that point, often the perceived tact of our onslaught is personal and I can see how it might be taken as such. I've been pretty reserved as of late from posting anything to new theists because it's hard to get a word in edgewise. I can see why they don't stick around long, we tend to be quite intimidating as a whole.

As has been pointed out, the true assholery is generally reserved for when said theist becomes hostile towards us, but generally said theist is backed into a corner and goaded into defensive behavior before any true dialogue can be meted out. I think we might do well to try and tone it down.

On the other hand, this is an atheist forum and fuck em if they walk into the ring and get a blow to the head. I can appreciate both points of view.

As a forum that prides itself for it's policies on free speech and acceptance of all views, I don't know that perhaps a little more effort could be made to let a new poster make his points of view be known before being grilled with general anti-theist remarks and questions.

Or not. I'm pretty good either way. Carry on. Drinking Beverage

"acceptance of all views"?

I don't fucking think so. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-06-2013, 05:06 PM
(28-06-2013 05:05 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  If it was some guy in feb 2012 how many people from then are still around and active? So you're yelling at the wrong people, as has been shown in the last 3+ months no one has done what you're claiming so yes if you want to keep making the claim back it up with even 1 piece of evidence.

Feb 2012 was a random example to illustrate my point.

And I'm not yelling at anyone, I put my opinion in this thread and had several people attack it, I'm simply defending myself.

Best
Worst
28-06-2013, 05:07 PM
(28-06-2013 05:03 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 05:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  There are records... not that I'm volunteering to go find them.

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion, I know they won't change it. I feel it's my opinion that's under attack and I'm not gonna be told I can't hold it.

When you use that opinion to give the hoi polloi a telling off we tend to get restive Drinking Beverage

But you well and truly do have a right to that opinion. It's *yours* Wink Use it wisely...

Rolleyes OK jesusfuck I'm going to bed now. Fuck this pissing about. It's minus 2 here.