What do you most dislike about TTA forums? (Bitch Session)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2013, 06:28 PM
RE: What do you most dislike about TTA forums? (Bitch Session)
(28-06-2013 05:41 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 05:32 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  You see all this shit?

This is why we can't have nice things.

I see the exact opposite, this gives me hope we can have nice things. A difference of opinion hotly argued without ad hominem attacks.

Your opinion is shit, you worthless, ignorant scumbag. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2013, 06:29 PM
(28-06-2013 06:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, you get pressed for evidence, then won't admit that maybe you just might possibly be wrong or that others' opinions have as much validity as yours.

Erm, quote where I said other's opinions don't have as much validity as mine.

I don't agree with other people's opinions, as they don't agree with mine. I don't remember calling them invalid.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
28-06-2013, 06:47 PM
(28-06-2013 06:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 05:41 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I see the exact opposite, this gives me hope we can have nice things. A difference of opinion hotly argued without ad hominem attacks.

Your opinion is shit, you worthless, ignorant scumbag. Drinking Beverage

Had to do a double take Big Grin

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
28-06-2013, 07:11 PM
(28-06-2013 06:47 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 06:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your opinion is shit, you worthless, ignorant scumbag. Drinking Beverage

Had to do a double take Big Grin

Tongue

28-06-2013, 07:12 PM
(28-06-2013 07:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 06:47 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Had to do a double take Big Grin

Tongue

Asshole Thumbsup

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
28-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Boy, when you guys do a bitch session you really go all out.

Just be sure to always tag these threads appropriately so I know what I'm walking into. Bangin

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
28-06-2013, 07:24 PM
(28-06-2013 07:15 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Boy, when you guys do a bitch session you really go all out.

Just be sure to always tag these threads appropriately so I know what I'm walking into. Bangin

Don't think that's really possible. Consider

Threads can fly out of control for no good reason.

28-06-2013, 07:37 PM
(28-06-2013 05:11 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 05:06 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Feb 2012 was a random example to illustrate my point.

And I'm not yelling at anyone, I put my opinion in this thread and had several people attack it, I'm simply defending myself.

So Hughsie you see now why most theists leave when they can't substantiate their claims? At no time did we insinuate that your mother had relations with a cur of unknown lineage or any other insult we just demanded that you backup your claim. When their entire worldview is questioned like that and they don't have answers for them no wonder they head for the hills.

[Image: 6184_438723396227031_1554973002_n.jpg]

[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
28-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Holy cow, this thread suddenly exploded.

Maybe we should do an experiment.

Maybe, the next theist who comes here and seems fairly ok (not starting out with insults or brimstone) - Let's teach him some stuff, very slowly, step by step.

I mean, instead of disputing his stuff, lead him down the path of evolution in baby steps, little steps he won't be able to dismiss off hand.

I have always found dog breeds a good example for non-science people. Each evolved to do a certain task originally, and is perfectly suited for that in body type and mental capacity and disposition.

Once they agree to that, one can get to explaining bigger things...

And so on. In other words, without pulling the rug out from under the theists feet, we can guide him to learn something. We need to realize that most of these people just do not know things. They have not been taught to think for themselves. They don't understand the last thing about science and facts and debating methods and what have you.

And, you just don't know whether this guy showed up because he thinks he's collecting brownies or because he has a nagging doubt. My guess would be that the thing he seems to want to push is the thing he doubts. It would be really interesting to go about dealing with someone like we would deal with a six year old - old enough to think step by step, but too young to know shit.

One would have to pick a decent candidate though.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
28-06-2013, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2013 08:00 PM by ridethespiral.)
(28-06-2013 07:51 PM)Dom Wrote:  Holy cow, this thread suddenly exploded.

Maybe we should do an experiment.

Maybe, the next theist who comes here and seems fairly ok (not starting out with insults or brimstone) - Let's teach him some stuff, very slowly, step by step.

I mean, instead of disputing his stuff, lead him down the path of evolution in baby steps, little steps he won't be able to dismiss off hand.

I have always found dog breeds a good example for non-science people. Each evolved to do a certain task originally, and is perfectly suited for that in body type and mental capacity and disposition.

Once they agree to that, one can get to explaining bigger things...

And so on. In other words, without pulling the rug out from under the theists feet, we can guide him to learn something. We need to realize that most of these people just do not know things. They have not been taught to think for themselves. They don't understand the last thing about science and facts and debating methods and what have you.

And, you just don't know whether this guy showed up because he thinks he's collecting brownies or because he has a nagging doubt. My guess would be that the thing he seems to want to push is the thing he doubts. It would be really interesting to go about dealing with someone like we would deal with a six year old - old enough to think step by step, but too young to know shit.

One would have to pick a decent candidate though.

Can there please be a secret thread for planning, executing and discussing the results of social experiments on poor unsuspecting theists?! It would be so fun! Consider

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question Question for members experienced with MyBB and other forums PoolBoyG 8 209 31-12-2013 08:16 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Technical question about the forums NL Atheist 37 853 28-11-2013 04:26 AM
Last Post: Dark Light
  Why has the forums been so dead recently? Tartarus Sauce 41 1,215 18-07-2013 12:38 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Dislike earmuffs 68 1,910 28-06-2013 08:11 AM
Last Post: Atothetheist
  Can we color-code some forums? Aseptic Skeptic 33 1,078 04-03-2013 05:43 PM
Last Post: Anjele
  Should Hylonome Return To The Forums? Hughsie 75 1,846 17-09-2012 05:25 PM
Last Post: Atothetheist
  New Forums Needed: Language Academy & Duties of Atheists Civilized Man 1 412 15-10-2010 08:30 AM
Last Post: Unbeliever