What do you recommend?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2015, 04:12 PM
What do you recommend?
In a previous post I mentioned how music was like a time machine and how listening to a song can take you straight back to any time and place.

My big concern is that there will be very little music to recall this point in my life.

Yes we had Faith No More: Sol Invictus released earlier this year and I will most certainly getting Iron Maiden: Book Of Souls next week. But to have those bands to act as signposts to my life in 2015 doesn't say much about the current music scene.

Is there anything you guys would recommend that I should listen to? Any undiscovered gems I need to check out? It would preferably be something current or very recent.

My future memories of today are in your hands.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2015, 08:38 PM
RE: What do you recommend?
Blind Guardian - Beyond the Red Mirror.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

Karl Marx.
28-08-2015, 10:22 PM
(28-08-2015 04:12 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Yes we had Faith No More: Sol Invictus released earlier this year and I will most certainly getting Iron Maiden: Book Of Souls next week. But to have those bands to act as signposts to my life in 2015 doesn't say much about the current music scene.

The "current" music scene is very healthy. Sadly, many listeners have not moved on.

"I am an Australian and I have no manners!"
Lt Col Oswald Watt.
Royal Australian Flying Corps.
29-08-2015, 04:41 AM
(28-08-2015 10:22 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 04:12 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Yes we had Faith No More: Sol Invictus released earlier this year and I will most certainly getting Iron Maiden: Book Of Souls next week. But to have those bands to act as signposts to my life in 2015 doesn't say much about the current music scene.

The "current" music scene is very healthy. Sadly, many listeners have not moved on.

I'll totally admit to that. But nothing has yet caught my eye. What suggestions do you have from this thriving music scene?
29-08-2015, 06:47 AM
I wouldn't worry about it being "current" ---

When you see the Grand Canyon for the first time -- it's YOUR first time, regardless of how old the canyon is.

So too with music -- it's your first time when YOU discover it.

Go for stuff you enjoy -and- if it's an old release you've never heard of a band you already like - it's a bonus....

Consult your lawyer before taking any
advice obtained on any forum.
Void where prohibited by law.
Your results may vary.
Some assembly required.
Batteries not included.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
29-08-2015, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2015 06:26 PM by TheStraightener.)
(29-08-2015 06:47 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I wouldn't worry about it being "current" ---

When you see the Grand Canyon for the first time -- it's YOUR first time, regardless of how old the canyon is.

So too with music -- it's your first time when YOU discover it.

Go for stuff you enjoy -and- if it's an old release you've never heard of a band you already like - it's a bonus....

All of this is very true.. The major downside is when ever a music related "Guess the Year" question comes up in a quiz.

Case in Point... If someone asks me when Rhianna "Umbrella" was number 1 I can easily say June 2007. Cos that's when my son was born.

However if I'm asked when was Alcatrazz "Disturbing the Peace" released, I can't say oh that was released in 2003 cos I discovered it at the same time I was moving house. Lol
30-08-2015, 05:39 AM
It's not a contest.

You're supposed to enjoy music, not be tested about your knowledge of it.

Consult your lawyer before taking any
advice obtained on any forum.
Void where prohibited by law.
Your results may vary.
Some assembly required.
Batteries not included.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
30-08-2015, 02:10 PM
(30-08-2015 05:39 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's not a contest.

You're supposed to enjoy music, not be tested about your knowledge of it.

Ha! I know Smile

Your right though. I can go for anyone and it doesn't matter when it was written, its all about when it was discovered. I'm gonna go through my deezer with a tooth comb
30-08-2015, 02:45 PM
Check out the 'What are you listening to?' thread. There area lot of things there from all genres and times as well as music from around the world.

I also like Pandora because it plays things similar to my choices and has helped me find artists/groups who are new to me.

I’m not anti-social. I’m pro-solitude. ~Author Unknown