What do you say?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2015, 08:17 PM
What do you say?
I live in one of the Southern states of the US, am part of the percussion staff for a local high school marching band, & today was the first day of "band camp." While we were putting sets out on the field, later in the evening, one of the battery members asked for some help picking up his place holder from an earlier set. He was still wearing his drum, so I didn't mind helping him out. When I handed him the place holder, he said, "God bless you, man." I went with my gut reaction, saying, "No, that's okay." He didn't take any offense, which has not been the reaction I get most often when I reply that way, but I still am not comfortable with it.

Is my reply out of line, as suggested by other experiences? What do you say when someone casts magical thinking onto you? What do you say if that person is not yet an adult, & you're in a position of authority over them?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2015, 08:51 PM
RE: What do you say?
The whole exchange doesn't mean anything, it's just a bunch of ritualistic words.

The conversation may as well have gone with "thank you" and "that's ok".

He wasn't really blessing you, he was thanking you in whatever words he usually hears in that situation. And you replied the same way - with whatever you usually say in return.

I don't care about rituals of interaction, we all have them, and they are interchangeable. It just means both of you were being polite in your own way. If one person or the other took offense, then we'd have a miscommunication.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
27-07-2015, 09:19 PM
(27-07-2015 08:17 PM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  When I handed him the place holder, he said, "God bless you, man." I went with my gut reaction, saying, "No, that's okay." He didn't take any offense, ...

Then what the fuck you bitching about. Seems like an innocuous social interaction to me. Dude played it off as should you.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
27-07-2015, 09:20 PM
In my personal opinion, somebody says something like that, let it slide if you're at work. I try my best not to be antagonistic when I'm on the clock (rarely antagonistic off the clock). A "no problem" response would suffice for their version of a grateful thank you.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
27-07-2015, 09:25 PM
I don't trip out if when I sneeze, someone says, "god bless you". Hell, I even say "bless you" myself sometimes. It's how I was raised.

Myself, I tend towards accepting gratitude in whatever form it is offered, because it is relatively rare for folks to acknowledge kindness anymore.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
27-07-2015, 09:37 PM
The whole God thing is meaningless. It would be the equivalent of him saying, "May Zeus keep you safe." He meant it as a nice gesture. I would view it in that light.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
27-07-2015, 09:37 PM
You're over-analysing an utterly minor social interaction.
[+] 3 users Like Gilgamesh's post
27-07-2015, 09:40 PM
When someone says "God bless you" in response to something noteworthy that I did (not just a sneeze), I'd probably just reply with "not a problem" or "you're welcome."
"No, that's okay" sounds like a socially acceptable response to me. It's not like it's overtly dismissive of the person's religious beliefs or anything.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
27-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Usually I would just say thank you and move on.

It's just automatic speech for many people. He did what he was taught was polite. I doubt he really spent much time thinking about a god really blessing you.

Bless his heart.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
27-07-2015, 10:05 PM
(27-07-2015 09:46 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Bless his heart.

Heart my favorite

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post