What do you say to a sneeze

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2017, 07:42 PM
RE: What do say to a sneeze
Seriously, why do people perceive some need to say something? I find it annoying enough that I am sneezing without listening to everyone stopping to comment! The whole origin of the "bless you" thing was that people thought a sneeze either partially expelled the "soul" or made it temporarily open to possession by a waiting demon. The response was a quick blessing to hamper the demon in its attempt to possess someone - thus the endless repeat of the "bless you" for each sneeze. Since the only demons trying to possess my nose are allergens, I do not need people continually trying to save me from them with a blessing. I have antihistamines and anti-allergens for that! When people keep trying to "bless me" - be they theists or atheists, it seriously ticks me off. And when I am having an allergy attack, you do not want to tick me off even more. I tend to get bitingly sarcastic and revive a few pithy sayings I learned from working with the British Army.

At least "gesundheit" makes some sense in context. But really, if I'm sneezing, just hand me a tissue, and shut the crap up! Hobo
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
07-07-2017, 08:02 PM
I like the cute ones Wink 'I hate you too' lol. Sometimes when my hubby is having an allergy sneeze fest, the first two get a 'bless you', but the third gets 'Okay, stop it!', or 'Show off!'. But as to why say anything, just for generally politeness/manners. I know I don't HAVE to say anything, but it's such a conditioned response, it's probably easier to condition a new term than not to say anything at all.
[+] 1 user Likes Dreamerwolf's post
07-07-2017, 08:02 PM
I say nothing. Why bother saying something for a sneeze if we don't say anything when someone coughs?

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
07-07-2017, 08:23 PM
(07-07-2017 07:42 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Seriously, why do people perceive some need to say something?
Edit: oops, saw that you already explained.

I've been known to exclaim, "Sneeze those demons out!"
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
07-07-2017, 08:34 PM
RE: What do you say to a sneeze
At this point "bless you" is pretty much a lifelong automatic *habit.* And all this time I honestly thought gesundheit MEANT "God bless you" in German.

Of course being a southern girl, "bless your heart" is the proper gentlewoman way to say "fuck you," so I'm not exactly sure where "bless you" falls in that pecking order anyway....

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 3 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
07-07-2017, 08:43 PM
(07-07-2017 07:32 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I usually don't say anything. We don't generally say anything for a cough or a hiccough or a burp and it's past time we did away with treating sneezing differently.

Unless you are offering a tissue or glass of water or some other practical response, why acknowledge sneezing?

*channeling George Carlin* Someone burps, and the response is, "That was almost puke!". (He references burping three days after eating a hot dog, and getting the flavor when he burped it) Consider I don't eat hot dogs. No
07-07-2017, 09:55 PM
I'm with Gwaithmir, I just don't say anything. It's a custom borne out of an unscientific superstition and drenched in religious overtones. Nobody needs commentary when they sneeze, so I simply don't comment.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-07-2017, 10:17 PM
(07-07-2017 08:43 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 07:32 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I usually don't say anything. We don't generally say anything for a cough or a hiccough or a burp and it's past time we did away with treating sneezing differently.

Unless you are offering a tissue or glass of water or some other practical response, why acknowledge sneezing?

*channeling George Carlin* Someone burps, and the response is, "That was almost puke!". (He references burping three days after eating a hot dog, and getting the flavor when he burped it) Consider I don't eat hot dogs. No

Like, at all? No hot dogs?

Or perhaps you've just never had a good hot dog before?

If you ever find yourself in and around western Pennsylvania, the best hot dogs you can get are Smith's. They are a Pittsburgh institution.

Oh, and if you have the option, go with the 'Natural Casing' over 'Skinless'.

[Image: CmDlZpbWgAAX9Kc.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
07-07-2017, 10:27 PM
Completely out of habit, I say bless you, but it doesn't come out as bless you, but rather more like "blesh you."

Jews don't run around saying "bless" anything except for this. It's goyishe, and therefore very unflattering. Saying "bless you" after a sneeze is clearly derived from the local culture and has nothing to do with any religious belief or superstition.
08-07-2017, 12:01 AM
My sister and I, realizing that commenting on a sneeze was silly to begin with, used to just say "gross!"

Unless it was a really satisfying sneeze which causes the sneezer to go "ahhhh!" afterward, to which we would reply "nosegasm?"

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)
[+] 2 users Like Vivian Darkbloom's post