What do you say to people...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2011, 04:51 AM
What do you say to people...
When they ask you to "pray" for a dying relative or friend?

Sht :|.

Honesty is not doing what is right because you fear that there is someone watching over you, Honesty is doing what is right even when there is no one looking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2011, 07:05 AM
RE: What do you say to people...
If you dont wish to offend then I suppose you could say "I will hold then in my thoughts"

Prayers-thoughts.....pretty much the same thing.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
20-10-2011, 07:17 AM
I usually just calmly turn to them and say with a straight face, "My praying will do nothing. It is pointless to just wish for some magical sky daddy to do something. Take the innitiative and do it yourself. Here's 20$ go buy them something to cheer them up and make their remaing time enjoyable."

I'm that suave.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
20-10-2011, 08:10 AM
I've only been asked this question once and I said "It's not my place." and it ended there.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post
20-10-2011, 08:55 AM
(20-10-2011 07:17 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  I usually just calmly turn to them and say with a straight face, "My praying will do nothing. It is pointless to just wish for some magical sky daddy to do something. Take the innitiative and do it yourself. Here's 20$ go buy them something to cheer them up and make their remaing time enjoyable."

I'm that suave.

Ever tried a short "No."? xD

Sht :|.

Honesty is not doing what is right because you fear that there is someone watching over you, Honesty is doing what is right even when there is no one looking
[+] 1 user Likes JahFSM's post
20-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Just saying no is not creative enough. I need my charisma to show. It's a hit with the ladies.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
20-10-2011, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2011 02:02 PM by kim.)
I was actually once asked to pray for a dying person. Without any forethought I said, "But, he's dying." And then quickly added, "I hope he's not in any pain." Evidently that was enough -they fucked off pretty quick.
I guess at the time, I thought it was apparent no one could do anything for him but make him comfortable. To me (and probably him) praying wasn't going to do him any good.
I hate to seem rude or callous, but I'm sure praying is never for the dying person.
I like Cetaceaphile's response; very to the point while not smacking someone in the face in a fragile moment.
They are probably already pretty angry and confused as to why God isn't saving their loved one.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein