Poll: Should it be legal for two consenting adults to challenge each other to a duel and fight a Death Match?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

What do you think?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2011, 05:17 PM

What do you think?
Should it be legal for two consenting adults to challenge each other to a duel and fight a Death Match?

Personally, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to do that if both parties understand the risks and are willing to do it.. but I'd like to hear what you guys and girls think.
Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2011, 05:25 PM
RE: What do you think?
This is one of those "works in concept not in practice" things. Sure, if both parties agree, why not. But how do you legislate something like that? What should the consequences be if someone "breaks the rules" of said duel? There's a million of these types of questions, and half of them would come up as a result of one of these duels. It's just impossible for this to be realistic.

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Sounds like a terrible idea, sorry. Stark is right pretty much, there are far too many little details to iron out not.

25-01-2011, 05:47 PM

Okay, mBear ... what exactly is going on in your world to prompt such a thought? Wink
25-01-2011, 05:56 PM

Haha, oh no.. I read this question somewhere, and thought it was interesting. I know this isn't realistic and would never work.. It's just a question to think about Tongue I guess my first thought was: 'Would this be moral?'
25-01-2011, 09:44 PM
It'd be moral, yeah. I've got no issue with two people mutually consenting to do something potentially lethal. But it'd be an absolute pain in the ass to adjudicate.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-01-2011, 10:05 PM

I have to respectfully disagree with Unbeliever on the idea of it being moral on the basis that when it comes to duels they tend to be in favor of the one that challenges, but not the one that is challenged, in most cases (at least if way think of challenges in the classic way).

Now, the one that challenges is favored in two ways: 1) Assuming that the person challenging has at least half a brain, he would not challenge someone he wouldn't suspect he'd win. 2) There would be a certain social pressure on accepting challenges and defending ones honor (like it was when duels were legal). So the one that is challenged must either accept a challenge which he is likely to lose, or live with a dishonor which might have negative social implications for him.

Or i might be completely misunderstanding the whole idea.
25-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Duels were a legal means to resolve disputes but they got banned due to the high death rate.It basically became a hobby for people.
Even back when it was legal , smiths who manufactured the guns made them so that they would not be lethal unless used at very close range - I think that says a lot.
As for legalizing violence to the point of death , regardless of how both parties feel , I think it's immoral.No matter how you implement it , problems will arise and we'd be going back to the eye for an eye argument.Anyone hear of honor killings ?
26-01-2011, 01:46 AM
New Frotier said it perfectly. The social pressure to accept the challenge means that many duels will actually be accepted under duress, which means one of the adults is not truly consenting. S/he is being forced into a situation against his/her will.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
28-01-2011, 09:47 PM

Social pressure, heh. If it were legal now, you'd have to apply for a permit and there would be so much red tape and paperwork and time and money spent that either one or both parties would run out of steam before they even got started. Oh, I take that back. The media would probably attempt to cash in on it. Then we'd have people volunteering and the Jerry Springer Show would move up to a whole new level of entertainment.