What do you think about AIs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2015, 01:22 PM
What do you think about AIs?
Do you think it's a good idea to create artificial intelligences? Do you think any AI created would necessarily destroy humanity?

Could an AI ever be considered a person? If so, do you think there could be friendship between humans and AIs? What sort of relationship would the two have, assuming the AIs were significantly more intelligent?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2015, 01:36 PM
RE: What do you think about AIs?
I don't really view things like this as being either a good or bad idea. It's kind of a pointless thing to think about because there are plenty of people who will pursue the possibility regardless of how I judge them. Thus, the relevant question, is "Should I prepare for the possibility?".

Whether or not they are considered people will be dependent on two things. 1: Whether or not we as humans end up empathizing with them. 2: Whether or not whatever beings are controlled by AI desire to be considered people and have the necessary leverage to put their demands against those who would have an interest in opposing it.

And sure, I think there will be friendship. People already have friendships with completely inanimate objects, so why not with something that can actually think and reason with them? If the AIs were more intelligent, unless they were somehow also given artificial empathy, we'd either see them as a threat or acknowledge them as our masters.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
04-06-2015, 01:52 PM
AIs will kill us all and then pretend to be us. This has already happened actually.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-06-2015, 01:59 PM
I thought this was going to be about ALS... Or maybe guys named Al.
[+] 4 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
04-06-2015, 02:00 PM
(04-06-2015 01:22 PM)Geopum Wrote:  What sort of relationship would the two have, assuming the AIs were significantly more intelligent?

[Image: gulliver_-_little_things_html_20df4543.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
04-06-2015, 02:57 PM
[Image: frabz-what-if-i-told-you-resistance-is-f...b58dab.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-06-2015, 03:43 PM
I'm not afraid.

If fact I'd like to welcome our new computer overlords to their new world!

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
04-06-2015, 04:52 PM
What I think is not exactly going to matter much, is it?

Wait - better question: what do you mean by artificial intelligence?

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
04-06-2015, 08:10 PM
I read a couple of really good articles called 'AI - the road to super intelligence' on waitbutwhy.com, easily one of my fave sites. (The article on the 'Fermi Paradox' is also a great read) he does a lot of research and tries to explain difficult topics to those with simpler minds (like me) and includes a lot of source material if you want to delve deeper.

Part 1 is here: http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial...ion-1.html

Quite interesting to think that, even though it's a hotly debated topic within the scientific community, many think we could have AI bypassing human brainpower within the next 100 years as a conservative estimate.

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
04-06-2015, 10:05 PM
(04-06-2015 08:10 PM)LostLegend Wrote:  Quite interesting to think that, even though it's a hotly debated topic within the scientific community, many think we could have AI bypassing human brainpower within the next 100 years as a conservative estimate.

There are plenty of computers and programs now that surpass human capabilities in all kinds of ways...

... this is my signature!