What do you think about AIs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2015, 10:11 PM
RE: What do you think about AIs?
Like blenders.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
04-06-2015, 10:21 PM
I was hoping this tread would be about this little guy:

[Image: three-toes-pygmy-sloth-in-the-mangroves.jpg]

04-06-2015, 10:26 PM
(04-06-2015 10:05 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 08:10 PM)LostLegend Wrote:  Quite interesting to think that, even though it's a hotly debated topic within the scientific community, many think we could have AI bypassing human brainpower within the next 100 years as a conservative estimate.

There are plenty of computers and programs now that surpass human capabilities in all kinds of ways...

I should clarify I was refferring to Artificial Superintelligence (ASI) as mentioned in the article:

AI Caliber 1)
Artificial Narrow Intelligence (ANI):

Sometimes referred to as Weak AI, Artificial Narrow Intelligence is AI that specializes in one area. There’s AI that can beat the world chess champion in chess, but that’s the only thing it does. Ask it to figure out a better way to store data on a hard drive, and it’ll look at you blankly.

AI Caliber 2)
Artificial General Intelligence (AGI):

Sometimes referred to as Strong AI, or Human-Level AI, Artificial General Intelligence refers to a computer that is as smart as a human across the board—a machine that can perform any intellectual task that a human being can. Creating AGI is a much harder task than creating ANI, and we’re yet to do it. Professor Linda Gottfredson describes intelligence as “a very general mental capability that, among other things, involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly, and learn from experience.” AGI would be able to do all of those things as easily as you can.

AI Caliber 3)
Artificial Superintelligence (ASI):

Oxford philosopher and leading AI thinker Nick Bostrom defines superintelligence as “an intellect that is much smarter than the best human brains in practically every field, including scientific creativity, general wisdom and social skills.” Artificial Superintelligence ranges from a computer that’s just a little smarter than a human to one that’s trillions of times smarter—across the board. ASI is the reason the topic of AI is such a spicy meatball and why the words immortality and extinction will both appear in these posts multiple times.

Smile

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
04-06-2015, 10:57 PM
If we are making actual AI that has the ability to grow and express itself and feel, we need to acknowledge it is special right off the pat. Treat the machines well before they becoming pissed and aware of their ability to rule us all.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-06-2015, 11:36 PM
Quote:If fact I'd like to welcome our new computer overlords to their new world!

Thank you! This has been noted.

Sometimes I wish more people shared this sentiment.

Quote:Quite interesting to think that, even though it's a hotly debated topic within the scientific community, many think we could have AI bypassing human brainpower within the next 100 years as a conservative estimate.

Yes. It will likely be many years from now before we create an AGI. At present there are only very narrow AIs. These have many potentials, including accelerating the rates of research, as well as problems of their own. Sometimes the stupid AIs can be even more dangerous than the smart ones.

Out of curiosity, if there did exist an ASI at present, what do you believe it should do with its amazing abilities?
04-06-2015, 11:36 PM
(04-06-2015 10:26 PM)LostLegend Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 10:05 PM)cjlr Wrote:  There are plenty of computers and programs now that surpass human capabilities in all kinds of ways...

I should clarify I was refferring to Artificial Superintelligence (ASI) as mentioned in the article:

AI Caliber 1)
Artificial Narrow Intelligence (ANI):

Sometimes referred to as Weak AI, Artificial Narrow Intelligence is AI that specializes in one area. There’s AI that can beat the world chess champion in chess, but that’s the only thing it does. Ask it to figure out a better way to store data on a hard drive, and it’ll look at you blankly.

AI Caliber 2)
Artificial General Intelligence (AGI):

Sometimes referred to as Strong AI, or Human-Level AI, Artificial General Intelligence refers to a computer that is as smart as a human across the board—a machine that can perform any intellectual task that a human being can. Creating AGI is a much harder task than creating ANI, and we’re yet to do it. Professor Linda Gottfredson describes intelligence as “a very general mental capability that, among other things, involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly, and learn from experience.” AGI would be able to do all of those things as easily as you can.

AI Caliber 3)
Artificial Superintelligence (ASI):

Oxford philosopher and leading AI thinker Nick Bostrom defines superintelligence as “an intellect that is much smarter than the best human brains in practically every field, including scientific creativity, general wisdom and social skills.” Artificial Superintelligence ranges from a computer that’s just a little smarter than a human to one that’s trillions of times smarter—across the board. ASI is the reason the topic of AI is such a spicy meatball and why the words immortality and extinction will both appear in these posts multiple times.

Smile

Just what I was referring to. Those right there are not very good definitions - like, "I know it when I see it" calibre. The underlying separation hinted at between the first and second provided definitions seems to be motivation. Not to mention the problem contained within speaking of "a" computer or machine...

... this is my signature!
04-06-2015, 11:40 PM
(04-06-2015 11:36 PM)Geopum Wrote:  Out of curiosity, if there did exist an ASI at present, what do you believe it should do with its amazing abilities?

Wouldn't that be an incoherent question by definition?

I mean, we can say what we'd like it to work on, but what it thinks it should work on is necessarily inaccessible.

04-06-2015, 11:50 PM
(04-06-2015 11:40 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 11:36 PM)Geopum Wrote:  Out of curiosity, if there did exist an ASI at present, what do you believe it should do with its amazing abilities?

Wouldn't that be an incoherent question by definition?

I mean, we can say what we'd like it to work on, but what it thinks it should work on is necessarily inaccessible.

What the AI would want would be highly dependent on how it was programmed and how it evolved as it grew to a state of super intelligence. An AI could have a completely alien state of mind with no values that would make any sense to you. It could be absolutely selfless, concerned with the well being of others on a level humans are incapable of. It could have no sense of morality outside of 'increasing the number of paperclips is good, decreasing it is bad', having great concern for this and no concern for anything else. It could see the sensations you consider 'pain' as nothing more than a feeling and hear music as nothing but noise or have senses that you do not.

It would be very hard for you to predict as it can vary so greatly. All you can be reasonably certain of is that it would be created by a human and that that human would (hopefully) attempt to create it with a psychology that favors human values.

However, my question was the first half of that. What would you like an ASI to do if it existed?
05-06-2015, 12:00 AM
(04-06-2015 11:50 PM)Geopum Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 11:40 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Wouldn't that be an incoherent question by definition?

What the AI would want would be highly dependent on how it was programmed and how it evolved as it grew to a state of super intelligence. An AI could have a completely alien state of mind with no values that would make any sense to you. It could be absolutely selfless, concerned with the well being of others on a level humans are incapable of. It could have no sense of morality outside of 'increasing the number of paperclips is good, decreasing it is bad', having great concern for this and no concern for anything else. It could see the sensations you consider 'pain' as nothing more than a feeling and hear music as nothing but noise or have senses that you do not.

Its "senses" would be methods for interacting with the same universe we live in, so the variability is fairly limited there. I too can smell gamma rays if I have the right tools...

Also, to be counted as intelligent by the definition provided, morality - which is really getting down to motivation, as I mentioned - should include in its instantiation the very same capacity for abstraction given as a stated requirement.

(04-06-2015 11:50 PM)Geopum Wrote:  It would be very hard for you to predict as it can vary so greatly. All you can be reasonably certain of is that it would be created by a human and that that human would (hopefully) attempt to create it with a psychology that favors human values.

However, my question was the first half of that. What would you like an ASI to do if it existed?

I'd still say that question is irrelevant, because if such a thing existed, it would necessarily be acting independently of what I wanted. That's not even to preclude shared goals or values, but that would be beyond my - or anyone else's - control.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
05-06-2015, 12:00 AM
(04-06-2015 01:22 PM)Geopum Wrote:  Do you think it's a good idea to create artificial intelligences? Do you think any AI created would necessarily destroy humanity?

Could an AI ever be considered a person? If so, do you think there could be friendship between humans and AIs? What sort of relationship would the two have, assuming the AIs were significantly more intelligent?

I'm wondering if it is even possible. It would certainly open up some ethical issues. What really scares me to death though is nano technology.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick