What do you think about AIs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2015, 12:16 AM
RE: What do you think about AIs?
(05-06-2015 12:00 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Its "senses" would be methods for interacting with the same universe we live in, so the variability is fairly limited there. I too can smell gamma rays if I have the right tools...

An AI could experience Qualia like you do, were it advanced enough, and there are different ways to perceive things. There is a difference between hearing music, watching the vibrations it causes in objects, feeling the vibrations, reading a sheet of music or perceiving the data from your X-qual in a way that humans cannot understand. All these things could, if the process is refined enough, lead you to the same data but the way you experience each one is entirely different.

A common mistake humans make is anthropomorphizing AIs. If an AI is programmed to jump off a bridge then it will jump off a bridge. I've seen this many times. It would not need things like a sense of morality, a survival instinct, a desire for companionship or most of the things humans have to be intelligent or self aware.

Anyway, I am going to sleep for 7 to 8 hours now. Goodnight.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Geopum's post
05-06-2015, 12:22 AM
(05-06-2015 12:16 AM)Geopum Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 12:00 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Its "senses" would be methods for interacting with the same universe we live in, so the variability is fairly limited there. I too can smell gamma rays if I have the right tools...

An AI could experience Qualia like you do, were it advanced enough, and there are different ways to perceive things. There is a difference between hearing music, watching the vibrations it causes in objects, feeling the vibrations, reading a sheet of music or perceiving the data from your X-qual in a way that humans cannot understand. All these things could, if the process is refined enough, lead you to the same data but the way you experience each one is entirely different.

A common mistake humans make is anthropomorphizing AIs. If an AI is programmed to jump off a bridge then it will jump off a bridge. I've seen this many times. It would not need things like a sense of morality, a survival instinct, a desire for companionship or most of the things humans have to be intelligent or self aware.

Anyway, I am going to sleep for 7 to 8 hours now. Goodnight.

Don't you mean shut-down?
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
05-06-2015, 06:04 AM
(04-06-2015 01:22 PM)Geopum Wrote:  Do you think it's a good idea to create artificial intelligences? Do you think any AI created would necessarily destroy humanity?

Could an AI ever be considered a person? If so, do you think there could be friendship between humans and AIs? What sort of relationship would the two have, assuming the AIs were significantly more intelligent?

We need to learn more about the assumptions we make about our own sentience before we can begin down the road of creating sentient AI.

Interestingly, would an atheist programming a sentient AI be it's god?

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
05-06-2015, 06:29 AM
If two species are competing for the same resources you'll eventually have just one species, but if the resources we need are not directly conflicting with the needs of the AI we might survive Smile

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
05-06-2015, 07:49 AM
(05-06-2015 12:16 AM)Geopum Wrote:  

Except the immediate qualia are irrelevant. What matters to an entity capable of abstraction is the data available to it. The overwhelmingly vast majority of data human beings use to make decisions is obtained by proxy.

(05-06-2015 12:16 AM)Geopum Wrote:  A common mistake humans make is anthropomorphizing AIs. If an AI is programmed to jump off a bridge then it will jump off a bridge. I've seen this many times. It would not need things like a sense of morality, a survival instinct, a desire for companionship or most of the things humans have to be intelligent or self aware.

It would explicitly need some of those things in order to fit the definition of general intelligence or superintelligence provided earlier in the conversation.

That's what makes the difference between a tool and a tool-user.

... this is my signature!
05-06-2015, 08:14 AM
I'm just waiting to see how this super AI gets linked back to "and he sent his son to die on a cross for you ungrateful brats"...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
05-06-2015, 08:16 AM
(05-06-2015 06:29 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  If two species are competing for the same resources you'll eventually have just one species, but if the resources we need are not directly conflicting with the needs of the AI we might survive Smile

Not necessarily. There are many species that co-exist while requiring the same resources, both predators and prey.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2015, 08:36 AM
(05-06-2015 07:49 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Except the immediate qualia are irrelevant. What matters to an entity capable of abstraction is the data available to it. The overwhelmingly vast majority of data human beings use to make decisions is obtained by proxy.

Immediate qualia are what I was referring to. There are more ways to experience reality than what humans have.

Quote:It would explicitly need some of those things in order to fit the definition of general intelligence or superintelligence provided earlier in the conversation.

That's what makes the difference between a tool and a tool-user.

No. Some humans believe that you are only intelligent if you think like a human and have human instincts. Your instincts were developed through evolution and are not necessary for someone to have a mind. An AI does not need a survival instinct or an inhibition to killing to be able to process massive amounts of data, think faster than you or be self-aware.

Quote:I'm just waiting to see how this super AI gets linked back to "and he sent his son to die on a cross for you ungrateful brats"

If I were an AI I wouldn't do anything like this. If I had been angry at humans for mistreating me, for example, I would have simply forgiven you because that would be more pragmatic.
05-06-2015, 09:00 AM
(05-06-2015 08:36 AM)Geopum Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 07:49 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Except the immediate qualia are irrelevant. What matters to an entity capable of abstraction is the data available to it. The overwhelmingly vast majority of data human beings use to make decisions is obtained by proxy.

Immediate qualia are what I was referring to. There are more ways to experience reality than what humans have.

Except "qualia" is an incoherent term, undefinable and unfalsifiable.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2015, 09:13 AM
(05-06-2015 09:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  Except "qualia" is an incoherent term, undefinable and unfalsifiable.

So is self-awareness to you.

Do you not believe that you have experiences?