Poll: Is man-made global warming real?
Yes
No
I don't know.
[Show Results]

What do you think about man-made global warming?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2015, 03:01 AM
What do you think about man-made global warming?
What do folks here at TTA think about man-made global warming?

Does the majority think that it is real? That it is fake? Or, does this forum have a mix of the two?

-

Excl On the ignore list: Taqiyya Mockingbird, Minimalist, DemonicLemon, GirlyMan, WhiskeyDebates, and EvolutionKills.
-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2015, 03:26 AM
RE: What do you think about man-made global warming?
The evidence according to trained climatologists says...

Climate change is happening, and humans have had a significant hand in it.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
03-01-2015, 04:06 AM
My understanding is that the plurality of relevant experts say that observed global warming is being contributed to by our activities. I also understand that the planet is moving closer to the sun and that is also heating the biosphere but that this is a minority opinion.

I don't see the problem with minimising (or negating entirely if possible) the impact we are having on the planet scale ecosystem, even if the second point is true.

(Can't vote. On phone.)

Is there any reason that the poll is private? It's certainly a devisive topic (for reasons) but is this something people are going to shout about?

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
03-01-2015, 04:14 AM
(03-01-2015 04:06 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  Is there any reason that the poll is private? It's certainly a devisive topic (for reasons) but is this something people are going to shout about?

What do you mean that the poll is private?

Do you mean why can we not see who voted for what?

(This is my first time setting up a poll on this forum.)

-

Excl On the ignore list: Taqiyya Mockingbird, Minimalist, DemonicLemon, GirlyMan, WhiskeyDebates, and EvolutionKills.
-
03-01-2015, 04:16 AM
^Yes that's what I meant. I'm more interested in the second question about how passionate people are about this subject.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
03-01-2015, 05:02 AM
The scientific community overwhelmingly believes global warming is man made and real.

A key concern is whether we will reach a tipping point where a self reinforcing feedback loop is established, causing climate change to escalate from relatively gradual change to greatly accelerated change.

This is a key question because the issue is one of what rate of change can human societies, and other species too, adapt to. Human civilizations are no where near as stable as they may appear to be, so rapid changes of any kind can push them in to chaos, and then the primary danger to human beings becomes other human beings.

As example, if hundreds of millions of humans have to abandon coastal areas, they wind up on somebody else's turf, and conflicts are inevitable. If this happens gradually, it is likely manageable. If it happens too quickly, it might not be manageable.

Given how interconnected human civilization is now, big problems in one area can easily become big problems elsewhere.
03-01-2015, 07:15 AM
Yes, it's real.
Yes, we're causing it.
Yes, it can be effectively and cheaply dealt with by putting a price on emissions.
Yes, it may already be to late to stop a large effect that causes major problems for our species.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
03-01-2015, 09:31 AM
(03-01-2015 04:06 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  My understanding is that the plurality of relevant experts say that observed global warming is being contributed to by our activities. I also understand that the planet is moving closer to the sun and that is also heating the biosphere but that this is a minority opinion.

Probably a single-digit minority. Do you have a credible reference?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2015, 11:12 AM
I don't understand why anyone is opposed to doing something about the amount of crap we dump into our atmosphere.
Surely there is no harm in reducing emissions, if it has no effect on climate change, at the very least we all get cleaner air to breathe.
When I hear a politician denying climate change, all I want to know is which heavy polluters are paying them off.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
03-01-2015, 11:47 AM
[Image: SULPHUR_FUMES_POUR_OUT_OF_THE_SMOKESTACK...546237.jpg]

Yes.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post