Poll: Is man-made global warming real?
Yes
No
I don't know.
[Show Results]

What do you think about man-made global warming?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2015, 02:28 PM
RE: What do you think about man-made global warming?
Quote:She was not joking; she was serious. And she is a member of the modern “scientific” community.

Perhaps you misunderstood.

What's her field of expertise Walter?

What's yours?

[Image: 4_5_degrees.png]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
07-01-2015, 04:31 PM
(07-01-2015 10:10 AM)Walter Wrote:  First of all, I appreciate the addition of man-made in your question.

Over the holidays, I overheard a family member saying she believed that humans will prevent the next ice age, and that this was a big concern of hers. I immediately assumed she was playing around with another skeptic (there were two of us), who asked if she really believed that humans could prevent an ice age. She was not joking; she was serious. And she is a member of the modern “scientific” community.

I would have asked her why prevention of the next ice age was a bad thing. Maybe she believes that the entire planet will become equator-like with no possibility of a cool down. I did not walk over to find out.

For me, she is like the young earth creationist, where most believers in human warming are like the old earth creationist.

There is little, if anything, that can be said to bring about a conversion to reason, logic or rational thought on the part of these creationists or carbon dioxide fear mongers.

Oh goodie, you are back Smile

Same old style, huh? Erroneously trying to discredit the scientific community while refusing to engage in a discussion on the actual science Banana_zorro

Would you mind popping back in this thread and respond to TheBeardedDude's post on the global carbon cycle (that he specifically asked you to respond to)?

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ism?page=5

Of course you can also choose to ignore it, and we can continue to laugh at your hilariously biased opinions Wink
[+] 1 user Likes Gaest's post
09-01-2015, 02:14 PM
I think human are the most important factor in the sudden and important rise of global temperature and the associated cimate change. Most scientifical research seems to leen in that direction. To me people who accuse the scientifical community and those who are supporting them on the political and economical arena of beeeing fear mongers and alarmist are using what I would like to call «The People are Morons and Hysterical lunatics» defense. It boils down to «You can't speak about those scary truth because they scare people and scaring people is always wrong. Let's do nothing and keep doing what we are doing cause doing things to solve the problem would alert them to the danger and danger is scary!»
13-01-2015, 04:02 AM
There is no doubt that climate change is happening and that it is largely anthropogenic.
13-01-2015, 10:48 AM
The global carbon cycle and the oceans play a major role in regulating and buffering climates.

Humans are clearly impacting the carbon cycle. Ice extent affects the circulation of the ocean's currents. Temperature of the oceans affects its buffering capacity for CO2 (warmer temps mean less buffering capacity).

It isn't the fact that CO2 is going up. It isn't the fact that ice coverage is shrinking. It isn't the fact that water temperatures are going up. It is the fact that these are all happening. It is the fact that the rate of CO2 increase is (as far as we can tell) faster than any other time in Earth's history. If the rate at which the oceans can buffer the CO2 is lower than the rate at which CO2 is increasing, then you get excess CO2 in the atmosphere. You'll also get more CO2 in the shallow waters, which makes carbonic acid (very bad if you are a coral for instance).

It is the fact that it is a series of feedback loops. Higher CO2 means warmer atmosphere, which means warmer oceans, which means less ice, which means lower albedo so more absorbed sunlight, which means warmer temperatures, which means less permafrost, which means methane release that converts to CO2, and more CO2 means more acidic oceans, warmer oceans and a high rate of CO2 increase means less buffering capacity of the oceans, which means changes in depths of things like the CCD. It will keep going like that until the oceans (through the carbon cycle) can begin to sequester the carbon in carbonate and as organics in sediments. Then you can get the reverse of the above positive feedback loop.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
13-01-2015, 11:20 AM
(13-01-2015 10:48 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The global carbon cycle and the oceans play a major role in regulating and buffering climates.

Humans are clearly impacting the carbon cycle. Ice extent affects the circulation of the ocean's currents. Temperature of the oceans affects its buffering capacity for CO2 (warmer temps mean less buffering capacity).

It isn't the fact that CO2 is going up. It isn't the fact that ice coverage is shrinking. It isn't the fact that water temperatures are going up. It is the fact that these are all happening. It is the fact that the rate of CO2 increase is (as far as we can tell) faster than any other time in Earth's history. If the rate at which the oceans can buffer the CO2 is lower than the rate at which CO2 is increasing, then you get excess CO2 in the atmosphere. You'll also get more CO2 in the shallow waters, which makes carbonic acid (very bad if you are a coral for instance).

It is the fact that it is a series of feedback loops. Higher CO2 means warmer atmosphere, which means warmer oceans, which means less ice, which means lower albedo so more absorbed sunlight, which means warmer temperatures, which means less permafrost, which means methane release that converts to CO2, and more CO2 means more acidic oceans, warmer oceans and a high rate of CO2 increase means less buffering capacity of the oceans, which means changes in depths of things like the CCD. It will keep going like that until the oceans (through the carbon cycle) can begin to sequester the carbon in carbonate and as organics in sediments. Then you can get the reverse of the above positive feedback loop.

Yeah, that.

The climate is a quasi-stable chaotic system. If something is knocked out of kilter, the whole thing can spiral out of control. It has happened before.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-01-2015, 02:45 AM
I simply have to vote "yes," because I'd love for us to pollute way less.
14-01-2015, 02:51 AM
Funny, though, that some people who refuse to believe in this believe that chemtrails are jet fuel that burn in the air and descend onto the population to cause cancer, parasites and asthma.
14-01-2015, 03:16 AM
(14-01-2015 02:51 AM)Lienda Bella Wrote:  Funny, though, that some people who refuse to believe in this believe that chemtrails are jet fuel that burn in the air and descend onto the population to cause cancer, parasites and asthma.

Ask them why actual crop dusters (people actually trying to cover the ground under them with airborne pesticides) have to fly right over the fields if instead they can just fly into the stratosphere and cover the entire fucking state... Drinking Beverage

[Image: cropdustingplane.jpg]

Chemtrails are for ignorant people who don't understand physics.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
16-01-2015, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2015 04:36 PM by Olowkow.)
The sources that I've encountered promoting denial of anthropogenic global warming, otherwise know as CO2 induced greenhouse effect/climate change, are generally speaking, motivated by 1)religion 2)politics 3)misinformation and 4)willful ignorance or a combination of these.

I ran across a retired university physics professor a while back who was a staunch AGW denier, a religious, conservative republican, and infected by a myriad of other conspiracy theories, as well as "free energy".

I asked what informed his belief that AGW was a hoax, and what was his main argument for denying the findings of so many climatologists. His response was astounding in its naïveté. He apparently based most of his reasoning on the media reports of the now infamous e-mails purporting to display dishonesty among a few climate scientists.

I presented the reasonable explanation of "Mike's trick" that has pretty much made the rounds, detailed in the link below, but he either failed to understand it or figured it was a conspiracy of lies. Not sure. Frustrating.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Mikes-Na...ecline.htm

All we can do is try I guess.

Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie, which we ascribe to heaven. --Shakespeare
[+] 1 user Likes Olowkow's post