What do you think he meant??!!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-03-2013, 09:19 PM
What do you think he meant??!!
I was working at the Guest Service desk today and it was quite uneventful. I was beginning to think there wouldn't be anything worth mentioning on here today. But then, out of nowhere this kind old man gave me a most confusing statement. I have pondered all day as to what he actually meant. It's really bugging me! (I know he probably just meant it as a simple joke, but I find I am genuinely puzzled and curious.)

I finished ringing up his items and he was about to leave when he turned back toward me and shook his little coin holder thing. He asked, "Are you looking for more change?! I got too much a this loose change."

I smiled and said, "I can certainly exchange your change for bills if that's what you want. I think I do happen to need quarters in this drawer."

He smiled and dumped his change onto the conveyor belt and told me he would "let me do it" because his "eyes are bad."
I immediately went and found the quarters and separated it into stacks of four. Then I went through all the other small change. When all was said and done, he had $5.86 in change. (That really was a lot of change!) I opened the drawer and pulled out a five dollar bill and the rest of the change.

Right about now is when the confusing thing happened.

[Image: Series2006_NoteBack_5.jpg]

He thanked me and then turned to leave. But THEN he turns back to me and holds the five dollar bill I just gave him in front of me, points his finger under the "In God we Trust" thing at the top and says, "You see that?"

"See what?" I look closer and notice what he's referring to and then say, "Oh. Yeah, that."

He says, "Everybody else gotta pay cash!"

I stand there with an awkward smile on my face and I begin to nod my head.

"Get it?"

"Kinda...NO. I don't get it."

"Everybody else gotta pay cash!"

I raise my eyebrow, and I'm aware my face is red due to the fact that I had no idea what this guy was talking about. I just shook my head and said that I did get it and then quickly said, "Well now you have a lot less change to carry around! That's an awesome feeling!" I just wanted to be done with it.

Now. I don't believe he was being rude. (It's not like I wear a sign around my neck that screams "I DON'T BELIEVE IN YOUR GOD!") But he was so insistent! He really wanted me to "understand" what he was talking about.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK HE MEANT?!

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2013, 09:31 PM
RE: What do you think he meant??!!
(08-03-2013 09:19 PM)Peanut Wrote:  I was working at the Guest Service desk today and it was quite uneventful. I was beginning to think there wouldn't be anything worth mentioning on here today. But then, out of nowhere this kind old man gave me a most confusing statement. I have pondered all day as to what he actually meant. It's really bugging me! (I know he probably just meant it as a simple joke, but I find I am genuinely puzzled and curious.)

I finished ringing up his items and he was about to leave when he turned back toward me and shook his little coin holder thing. He asked, "Are you looking for more change?! I got too much a this loose change."

I smiled and said, "I can certainly exchange your change for bills if that's what you want. I think I do happen to need quarters in this drawer."

He smiled and dumped his change onto the conveyor belt and told me he would "let me do it" because his "eyes are bad."
I immediately went and found the quarters and separated it into stacks of four. Then I went through all the other small change. When all was said and done, he had $5.86 in change. (That really was a lot of change!) I opened the drawer and pulled out a five dollar bill and the rest of the change.

Right about now is when the confusing thing happened.

[Image: Series2006_NoteBack_5.jpg]

He thanked me and then turned to leave. But THEN he turns back to me and holds the five dollar bill I just gave him in front of me, points his finger under the "In God we Trust" thing at the top and says, "You see that?"

"See what?" I look closer and notice what he's referring to and then say, "Oh. Yeah, that."

He says, "Everybody else gotta pay cash!"

I stand there with an awkward smile on my face and I begin to nod my head.

"Get it?"

"Kinda...NO. I don't get it."

"Everybody else gotta pay cash!"

I raise my eyebrow, and I'm aware my face is red due to the fact that I had no idea what this guy was talking about. I just shook my head and said that I did get it and then quickly said, "Well now you have a lot less change to carry around! That's an awesome feeling!" I just wanted to be done with it.

Now. I don't believe he was being rude. (It's not like I wear a sign around my neck that screams "I DON'T BELIEVE IN YOUR GOD!") But he was so insistent! He really wanted me to "understand" what he was talking about.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK HE MEANT?!
He was making a joke that we trust God but don't trust anyone else....so they got to pay cash(instead of credit /check/etc).

KingsChosen is a lying douchebag
[+] 4 users Like Heywood Jahblome's post
08-03-2013, 09:37 PM
When I started medical school in 1974 I saw this note on the cash register in the cafeteria:
" In God we trust. All others pay cash only."
I suspect it wasn't original then. I'm sure he was joking.
08-03-2013, 09:43 PM
All I understood was that American money is ripe for parody.

Aside from the colours and quotes, there's not much to joke about with Australian money...

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
08-03-2013, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 10:54 PM by DLJ.)
HJ has it.

It reminded me of this from LK Washburn (over 100 years ago):

"When a minister says that God will help you, ask him to put up the collateral."

Smile

08-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Re: What do you think he meant??!!
That God is a freeloader mooching off his ancestors and doing nothing all day. Just keeps playing that, I created you so you owe me card.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
08-03-2013, 10:09 PM
(08-03-2013 09:50 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  ...
ancestors ...

Huh

I thought god came from nothing, or was always there.

(much like the universe)

I smell an infinite regress.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Consider It seems so OBVIOUS now...

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
08-03-2013, 10:13 PM
(08-03-2013 09:31 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  He was making a joke that we trust God but don't trust anyone else....so they got to pay cash(instead of credit /check/etc).
Thanks. I didn't get it, either.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2013, 10:33 PM
(08-03-2013 10:13 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 09:31 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  He was making a joke that we trust God but don't trust anyone else....so they got to pay cash(instead of credit /check/etc).
Thanks. I didn't get it, either.
If you were born in the 90s I wouldn't expect you too. There was a time when a merchant had to trust you to take a check. Now they can run it thru a check guarantee company who will approve or decline the check. If the company approves the check they will re-imburse the merchant if the check goes bad. You got debit cards too that instantly withdraw the money from the account so there is little or no risk of that going bad either. Instant access to credit reports mean you can confidently extend someone credit. The old man grew up in a very different world then our dear Peanut.

KingsChosen is a lying douchebag

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally? WindyCityJazz 146 2,222 19-06-2014 09:47 PM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird