What do you think he meant??!!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-03-2013, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 11:13 PM by Peanut.)
RE: What do you think he meant??!!
(08-03-2013 10:33 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If you were born in the 90s I wouldn't expect you too. The old man grew up in a very different world then our dear Peanut.
Hey, hey, hey! I wasn't born in the 90's... It was 1989, gawd! Tongue

And it's true, we did grow up in different worlds and now I see the "miscommunication." I totally agree with you. Now I feel like a fool. If I see him again, which will probably happen because he had a prescription in his hands,(I'm a detective) I'm going to proudly tell him that I figured out what he was talking about. Of course, he probably won't remember ever speaking to me and I'll probably just freak him out or make him think, "Damn, kids with their obnoxious pierced faces and unnatural hair always bugging me..."

I will also keep the fact that some faceless guy on the other side of a computer screen with the name that's pronounced "hey, would ya blow me" Laughat is the one who provided me with the wisdom I have now. Drinking Beverage

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2013, 01:04 AM
(08-03-2013 10:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 09:50 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  ...
ancestors ...

Huh

I thought god came from nothing, or was always there.

(much like the universe)

I smell an infinite regress.
Oops, wrong word there... Censored

Maybe he was pointing at Lincoln? Are you sure he wasn't saying Lincoln is trusted because he is honest Abe? Makes more sense to me...

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
09-03-2013, 01:33 PM
this thread is fulllll of awesomeness! I didn't know what it meant either....and I actually had to re-read it about four times before I even understood the explanation. Slow? Possibly. Either way, I'm still laughing at dude's name and the fact that he knew and you didn't Smile You handled it much smoother than I would have when I worked customer service. My lack of filter would have made me ask him what the fuck he was talking about.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
[+] 1 user Likes kellyrm's post
10-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Stats dept at uni had a sign "In God we trust, all others must bring data" - same root I'm sure.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
10-03-2013, 12:59 PM
(10-03-2013 12:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  Stats dept at uni had a sign "In God we trust, all others must bring data" - same root I'm sure.
That actually makes more sense to me. Oh, the life of a blonde Undecided

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
10-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Now that I think about it, I'm not too embarrassed that I had no idea what he was talking about. It's not like Jesus is on my mind 24/7. I didn't understand the saying because it's not something I think about or even find "true," therefore I didn't get it Smile

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
10-03-2013, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2013 02:19 PM by TrulyX.)
I would have understood it differently, however, just coming from a left-wing, atheist perspective. A Marxist type of perspective.

As soon as I read it, I was thinking human beings trusting god (a human concept) on merit, but only trusting other human beings (that made up the concept) as subjected to a medium of exchange (they also made up).

I probably wouldn't have been able to help myself from responding, "Oh yeah, in God we Rust!".

The saying, 'in god we trust-- everybody else must pay cash', in itself is funny. It's just supposed to be a contradictory, hypocritical, maybe you would consider it ironic/satirical, type of comedy.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
[+] 1 user Likes TrulyX's post