What do you think is you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2014, 07:42 PM
RE: What do you think is you?
(19-05-2014 08:44 AM)living thing Wrote:  If a brilliant surgeon with an unusual sense of humour transplanted your brain to a different body, so that the new body behaved just like the old one but simply looked different, would that still be you?

In other words, what is it about you that makes you you? Your physical person? Your abstract persona? Neither? Both? Both and something else?

Cheers!

That's an interesting question. I don't think I could live in another body and do the things I love to do without the body I have. I've been extremely fortunate to have a dancers body that is flexible and musical and for a short time I was a paid dancer. Geeze, moving to music is so much a part of who I am that I can't imagine being in another body. I actually think in movement when I hear music. Being in another body would not be me anymore.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2014, 08:46 PM
(17-06-2014 07:42 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 08:44 AM)living thing Wrote:  If a brilliant surgeon with an unusual sense of humour transplanted your brain to a different body, so that the new body behaved just like the old one but simply looked different, would that still be you?

In other words, what is it about you that makes you you? Your physical person? Your abstract persona? Neither? Both? Both and something else?

Cheers!

That's an interesting question. I don't think I could live in another body and do the things I love to do without the body I have. I've been extremely fortunate to have a dancers body that is flexible and musical and for a short time I was a paid dancer. Geeze, moving to music is so much a part of who I am that I can't imagine being in another body. I actually think in movement when I hear music. Being in another body would not be me anymore.

It would not be the "you" you are used to. People who become quadriplegic are the same "you" they were. They adjust.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
17-06-2014, 09:05 PM
(17-06-2014 08:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(17-06-2014 07:42 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That's an interesting question. I don't think I could live in another body and do the things I love to do without the body I have. I've been extremely fortunate to have a dancers body that is flexible and musical and for a short time I was a paid dancer. Geeze, moving to music is so much a part of who I am that I can't imagine being in another body. I actually think in movement when I hear music. Being in another body would not be me anymore.

It would not be the "you" you are used to. People who become quadriplegic are the same "you" they were. They adjust.

I was thinking this, too. The way Dom was talking about adjusting routines made me think of people who've suffered some kind of body-changing accident and their whole lives become completely different. I don't know, do people who experience that kind of trauma come out on the other side as the same person they were before? I doubt they're exactly the same. To experience a different body forces you to change, at least a little, I think.

Another thought, what about if you switched bodies with the opposite sex? The hormonal difference alone would cause you to act differently, don't you think? So is your normal behavior part of what makes you 'you'? If so, then you mind wouldn't be 'you' in another body. At the very least, it'd be a different version of 'you'. I think our consciousness is pretty adaptable. We wouldn't be the same as before, but we'd figure out a way still "be ourselves".

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
17-06-2014, 09:30 PM
(17-06-2014 08:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(17-06-2014 07:42 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That's an interesting question. I don't think I could live in another body and do the things I love to do without the body I have. I've been extremely fortunate to have a dancers body that is flexible and musical and for a short time I was a paid dancer. Geeze, moving to music is so much a part of who I am that I can't imagine being in another body. I actually think in movement when I hear music. Being in another body would not be me anymore.

Yeah, I'd adjust but I'd be one unhappy bitch. My outlook on life would be so totally altered that I'd be a different person. I probably would find it ironic though. One of the worlds greatest opera singer from about 25 years ago, Beverly Sills, had two children both of whom were born deaf. That's the height of irony.

17-06-2014, 09:54 PM
(17-06-2014 09:05 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(17-06-2014 08:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It would not be the "you" you are used to. People who become quadriplegic are the same "you" they were. They adjust.

I was thinking this, too. The way Dom was talking about adjusting routines made me think of people who've suffered some kind of body-changing accident and their whole lives become completely different. I don't know, do people who experience that kind of trauma come out on the other side as the same person they were before? I doubt they're exactly the same. To experience a different body forces you to change, at least a little, I think.

Another thought, what about if you switched bodies with the opposite sex? The hormonal difference alone would cause you to act differently, don't you think? So is your normal behavior part of what makes you 'you'? If so, then you mind wouldn't be 'you' in another body. At the very least, it'd be a different version of 'you'. I think our consciousness is pretty adaptable. We wouldn't be the same as before, but we'd figure out a way still "be ourselves".

You may not be aware but my 21 year old daughter is transgender. She changed from male to female and has been on female hormones for two years. I can't tell you what a life altering experience this has been, not just for her but for everyone in the family. I didn't realize just how much the gender of a person resonates throughout a relationship until this transition happened. Gender is the first thing one sees when meeting someone and everything seems to radiate out from that. It shouldn't but it does. She is 100 % happier now and we're all so glad for her but in transitioning from male to female my husband and I lost a son and have had to go through a deep mourning process. There were lots of tears. I thought this was something peculiar to us but other parents have experienced this with their transgender children. We of course gained a daughter who has found happiness and we are very proud of her. She had to dig herself out of a very deep place to find that happiness.

She has the same personality but it's in a different body. Funny, but if she gets married I have to think of her in a wedding dress instead of a tuxedo. I'm still mentally working on things like that.

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-06-2014, 01:17 AM

Cheers!

What a loaded question!

Me is such a complex thing. I remember when a part of me was born. But for most of my life (58 years), I was altogether unaware of me as an I. Blink

I knew someone with a brain injury. When he recovered, only his body was familiar to those who knew him.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
18-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Lots of things would be different - the way people treat you (are you male, female, tall, short, skinny, fat and and and...). How you spend your time may change, you won't run marathons if you have a bum knee and such.

But I think the way others see you and hence treat you would be immensely different and that would change your entire life.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-06-2014, 09:24 AM
From the time I was little, I remember wondering what it might be like to be inside another person; just to see the same thing they would - and see how they see it, emotionally feel things how they would feel them.

I always thought it would be interesting... but even with that musing, I don't think I ever wanted to stay in another person. It's like the saying... it's a nice place to visit but, I wouldn't want to live there. Wink

I think I could somewhat relate to or at least empathize with, a person who strongly feels they are in the wrongly engendered body - possibly how a transgender person must feel at times. Even just imagining an alternate being to be an interesting experience, I always felt very strongly that I couldn't be anyone but me. So, to have such strong and complete doubt of one's self would be extremely traumatic. Our transgender friends are such wonderful and courageous people. Anyone who struggles so tenaciously to find one's own true self; that is someone to love.

Heart Dancefortwo, you have every right to be very proud of each and every aspect of your child; proud of him for who he was and proud of him for who she has become. Both physically and emotionally, your son took his life as far as he could...then, your daughter stepped in to give your child's life a future. I'm glad you chose to support and love your child.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein