What do you think of LGBTQ Christians?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2015, 01:37 PM
RE: What do you think of LGBTQ Christians?
(13-08-2015 01:25 PM)jennybee Wrote:  This is nothing more than a story, Alla. It was something people made up years and years ago to explain life and the world around them. What makes you think you have the *right* story, anyway? Do you have any idea how many creation stories are out there? And, not surprisingly, they all think they have the *right* story.
I have gift of the Holy Ghost. He teaches me which story is true. I believe Him. I trust Him. Why? I can't explain why. I just do.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-08-2015, 01:43 PM
(13-08-2015 01:35 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 01:16 PM)jennybee Wrote:  If you had absolute proof your religion was a man-made invention--would you live your life any differently? Be honest. You don't have to answer here. Remember you get just one life to live.
Of course, honestly.
When I was investigating the Church I told myself: If God never gives me revelation in which He would confirm to me that this is His true Church, I am still going to stick to these people. I saw only goodness. Every law of God makes me:
1)a better person. I want to be a better person.
2)stronger
3)healthier
4)happier
Why would I want to change it?
I lived differently before I joined Church.
(13-08-2015 01:16 PM)jennybee Wrote:  What if you had a son or daughter who wanted to live their lives differently? Would you tell them not to because of some book?
No, I wouldn't. Why would I even say this strange thing?
(13-08-2015 01:16 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Would you ask them to take the one life they have and forgo their dreams and happiness because a group of random people wrote something in a book?
No, I wouldn't do this. I would teach them what is right and what is wrong. And I would teach them to use their gift - gift of the Holy Ghost. He(Spirit) can teach them and direct them and confirm to them that what I taught them was true and right and good.

If you are honestly happy living your life that way--then more power to you. That is, of course, as long as you don't stand in the way of science, hurt others, or impede the rights of others.

So you would be okay with your children living the life they want--even if it contradicted Gods Word? If you really mean this, then I applaud you.
13-08-2015, 01:43 PM
(13-08-2015 01:37 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 01:25 PM)jennybee Wrote:  This is nothing more than a story, Alla. It was something people made up years and years ago to explain life and the world around them. What makes you think you have the *right* story, anyway? Do you have any idea how many creation stories are out there? And, not surprisingly, they all think they have the *right* story.
I have gift of the Holy Ghost. He teaches me which story is true. I believe Him. I trust Him. Why? I can't explain why. I just do.

It doesn't bother you that you can't explain why?
13-08-2015, 01:52 PM
(13-08-2015 01:08 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 01:05 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  To bad they don't use that money to help those who need it.
too bad you don't know many facts about helping those who in needs.

What do you think your tithings go towards?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
13-08-2015, 02:12 PM
(13-08-2015 01:43 PM)jennybee Wrote:  If you are honestly happy living your life that way--then more power to you. That is, of course, as long as you don't stand in the way of science,
Faith in Jesus Christ doesn't require to stand on the way of science. It has nothing to do with science.
(13-08-2015 01:43 PM)jennybee Wrote:  hurt others, or impede the rights of others.
Faith in Jesus Christ doesn't require to hurt others, to impede the rights of others.
(13-08-2015 01:43 PM)jennybee Wrote:  So you would be okay with your children living the life they want--even if it contradicted Gods Word? If you really mean this, then I applaud you.
I would be sad, but I can not stop them from making their own choices. I can not take from them moral agency. It would be wrong/evil thing to do. I still would love them and I would help them in any way I could. This is what love is about.Heart
Our Heavenly Father may be sad about many choices we make but He still gives us moral agency. Smile

13-08-2015, 02:16 PM
(13-08-2015 01:52 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 01:08 PM)Alla Wrote:  too bad you don't know many facts about helping those who in needs.

What do you think your tithings go towards?
towards building Kingdom of God on Earth. Building Temples, for example. Printing materials. Building meeting houses.
the rest of the money go to the assistance of the poor and needy (members and non-members).

13-08-2015, 02:18 PM
(13-08-2015 01:43 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 01:37 PM)Alla Wrote:  I have gift of the Holy Ghost. He teaches me which story is true. I believe Him. I trust Him. Why? I can't explain why. I just do.

It doesn't bother you that you can't explain why?
No, it doesn't bother me.
Sometimes you talk to someone(a stranger) and they tell you something. You do not know why but you still trust them.

13-08-2015, 02:22 PM
(13-08-2015 02:18 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 01:43 PM)jennybee Wrote:  It doesn't bother you that you can't explain why?
No, it doesn't bother me.
Sometimes you talk to someone(a stranger) and they tell you something. You do not know why but you still trust them.

You shouldn't trust strangers. Especially if they offer you candy Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
13-08-2015, 02:39 PM
(11-08-2015 10:19 AM)PrettyGirlRock Wrote:  I hoping the rainbow will catch your eye Laugh out load I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question in. If it isn't, please tell me so I don't tick everyone off.

I'm wondering what you all think about Christians who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, etc. Right before I deconverted, I used a forum for LGBTQ Christians. When I joined, I was questioning then I eventually found out that I was bisexual. Someone (who I'm no longer friends) from school with wanted me to join the forum because she was also Christian and struggling with her sexuality, and she said the forum was helping her. I will admit, I did enjoy the time I spent on the forum, before I told everyone that I was a deist and later an agnostic then I basically got harassed and I felt compelled to leave.
To be honest, they are no better than the average conservative who is against their rights and what not. A lot of people on that site are extremely militant when it comes to their faith--and not in a passionate way, I would say in a very threatening and insecure way--and it noticed it was more "Christian" then "LGBTQ" which confused me a little. They did the typical Christian stuff, denying that they had a burden of proof and thinking that evil in the world and hell were both justified. There are a lot of condescending adults there who loved to through out the "you're too young" card at me when they didn't want to answer my questions (I've actually noticed...religious adults are so condescending, unlike atheist or non-religious adults...not surprising honestly). I have a lot of good memories from being on that website but I also have a lot of bad ones. I try to get over my emotions though and not base all LGBTQ Christians on the really snobby or stupid ones I remember from that forum.

Now that I've been an atheist for a while now, and I'm more confident in my sexuality, I personally think that while you can be Christian and LGBTQ (I mean it's your right)...you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot. A lot of Christians think you're going to hell and they don't want you to have rights. In African countries like Uganda, you can go to jail for being gay. The Bible says that homosexuality is an abomination and talks about it in a negative light in both the OT and the NT. Some LGBTQ Christians interpret this as homosexual sex being bad instead of homosexuality itself. So they just remain celibate for life. I don't really think that's fair for them that they can't have sex just because God thinks it's gross or whatever. I'm not sure if these celibate Christians think they can get married or not.

Well...I kind of dumbed down my opinion a little bit because it's actually a lot stronger than that but I think it's more emotional than objective, because I am part of the LGBTQ community. And I'm not actually sure if these Biblical verses that anti-gay Christians love to pull out are actually talking about homosexual intercourse as opposed to homosexuality and same-sex attractions...
I want to know what everyone else thinks about this, if that is okay Smile

Nothing new, few Christians subscribe to all of the commandments, or all of the rules and scriptures...very...very...few. "Oh THAT is just a parable, but god really meant it when he said homosexuality was an abomination"....etc etc. Cherry picking which scripture they wish to follow is a commonality with a majority of the faithful...in my experience.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
13-08-2015, 02:53 PM
(13-08-2015 02:22 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 02:18 PM)Alla Wrote:  No, it doesn't bother me.

You shouldn't trust strangers. Especially if they offer you candy Tongue

Or are trying to sell you a stock.

Or give up 10% of your income.

Just because people DO do this doesn't mean they SHOULD, and doesn't count as evidence for the stranger's trustworthiness.

This principle should also be applicable to a voice in your head.

I have yet to hear a Christian satisfactorily explain how they determined... or why they never bothered to determine... that the voice speaking to them was the Holy Spirit rather than Satan. For some reason, most never bother to even consider the possibility that they're being spoken to by the Prince of Lies impersonating the Holy Spirit (perhaps imperfectly, but well enough to trick a gullible and trusting mind) and being conned into, I dunno, supporting the death penalty for gays in Uganda on the grounds that GODSEZSO!

As a plausible alternative to Satan, it might just be their own subconscious pride, arrogance, and hatreds. After all, SOMETHING must have been behind the "revelations" to the elders of the LDS church (prior to... 1978, was it? Sometime in the 70s) that blacks were an inherently inferior race. Was that actually revelation from the Holy Spirit? Or was it simply something that was mistaken to be revelation from the Holy Spirit? Neither answer is a reason to blindly trust what we THINK is revelation from the Holy Spirit.

I know you don't pursue either of those particular policies (death to gays or racial inferiority), but the epistemological challenge these failings of Christian thought highlight is one you're clearly succumbing to. Even if we for the sake of argument assume the existence of a Holy Spirit somewhere whispering some revelations to some of us, does that really eliminate the need for skepticism and doubt regarding the particular things that you BELIEVE to be revelation?