What do you think of Vincent Van Gogh?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-07-2012, 11:15 PM
I was in a conversation with someone the other day, I was telling them about one of my favorite Doctor Who episodes, which is Vincent and the Doctor, which uses the starry night in one seen in a pretty cool way, and I was talking about how I'd love to go see a lot of his painting, remarking that we have one in the museum here at OU.

This got an expression of shock on the person's face, since they did not know we had a Van Gogh.

Since then I've been wondering about what most people think of him, so I'll ask.

-summum ius, summa iniuria.-M. T. Cicero
-I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-T.S. Eliot
-
ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes il_bandit's post
26-07-2012, 11:28 PM
RE: What do you think of Vincent Van Gogh?
That's my favorite episode as well. The ending brought me to tears and that's not my normal modus operandi. To think of what a tortured mind he had and had no idea that he was among the greatest of painters.
I believe he expressed his feelings in a way few can; only he was expressing his feeling through color. Simply amazing.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
27-07-2012, 12:03 AM
I'm not a big fan of art past the Renaissance, but I love his work because it has a sense of motion about it. The stars in his painting Starry Night look like rolling waves. Even his still life, like his Sunflowers series, looks like they are moving.

I saw that Dr. Who episode as well.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
27-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Heart Van Gogh kicks ass... which work, do you know? For such a short time frame, he was a very prolific artist.

Also - that gallery is pretty fantastic - lots of collections and it looks like they are hosting a special Picasso exhibit opening Aug 3.

They have several exceptional works there. They seem to have a very fine religious icon collection I wouldn't mind seeing. Lots to see... you might want to make a day of it. Or maybe get in the habit of going about every three months or so - they might switch things around.

Have fun and buy something in the gift shop. They'll probably have a magnet or bookmark of the Van Gogh - maybe a postcard. If you find a good reproduction, post it here.
In this heat... it will be great to get into a wonderful cool place to see the world. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
27-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Hey - I just found this - I took it with my phone so it's not very good. It's one of his painting of Olive Trees.
[Image: olivegrove.jpg]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
27-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Supposed last words:
La tristesse durera.

Says it all.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
27-07-2012, 07:09 AM
I alway thought he was overrated until I saw some of his works in person. His work is really amazing.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
27-07-2012, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2012 03:01 PM by kim.)
(27-07-2012 01:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Supposed last words:
La tristesse durera.

Did he really say that? Bittersweet. I can imagine him saying it. Shy

Today is the anniversary of his shooting. He died a couple days later, the 29th. Wound infection would have been horrible... hope he had enough absinthe.

There is some new controversy surrounding his death... it seems possible that he could have been a victim of some village boy's horseplay, but kept quiet about it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15328583
http://theweek.com/article/index/220446/...h-murdered

What he was working on...
[Image: Vincent_van_Gogh_%281853-1890%29_-_Wheat...890%29.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
27-07-2012, 03:03 PM
(27-07-2012 12:41 AM)kim Wrote:  Hey - I just found this - I took it with my phone so it's not very good. It's one of his painting of Olive Trees.
[Image: olivegrove.jpg]

Hey Kimmy. There may be more than one Olive Tree ?? I've seen this one in the Minneapolis Institue of Arts, (visiting my best cousins up in MN), I think. ??? Is that this one ? It is amazing. You should hop up there, as there is a Rembrandt exhibit with 25 Rembrandts up there. Have you ever seen the Lucratia up there ?

http://www.artsmia.org/rembrandt-america/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Ha! - my cousins live in Minneapolis - I've been to the Walker Museum there - a fantastic collection! I don't think I've been to the Minneapolis Institue of Arts, but I'm sure I'll get there one day... probably soon.

The Lucratia is a stunning piece... quite a shocker, really. If anyone could get away with something like that it would be Rembrandt. He was a master.

As for the Van Gogh... he did many versions of the olive trees in that grove. This one is in the permanent collection at the Nelson-Atkins Museum in Kansas City. An exceptional piece - like I said though, my phone can't do it justice.

Yep. I hang out in museums. I'm crazy that way. Angel

[+] 3 users Like kim's post