What do you think of atheist figures such as Jerry Dewitt?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2014, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2014 10:12 AM by DLJ.)
RE: What do you think of atheist figures such as Jerry Dewitt?
(25-05-2014 09:35 AM)War Horse Wrote:  ...
Judge for yourself

Yup.

It is not easy to fake sincerity.

He's referring to a script and he's rehearsed for the conference (as do all professional presenters).

This is not to say that he does not believe what he is saying... just that spontaneity comes across as sincere and a polished performance does not.

You would not believe the hours of practice I put in to making ad libs appear spontaneous.

Angel

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
25-05-2014, 11:06 AM
I found Jerry's Atheist Sunday sermon very moving, but in a previous thread where I shared that video the conclusion was that 30+ years of church-going had likely softened me up for that style of presentation.

It has its place since it was a huge part of his, and my, and many other atheists' lives for so long, and I appreciate him sharing it with us, but if every time he speaks it's in the style of a sermon (and I don't know if he actually does that) it would get old even for me.

Based on other times I've heard him just speak off the cuff (like on Dogma Debate for example), I have no reason to doubt his sincerity and think he has a lot to offer to the community. We need a variety of angry, happy, loving, logical, scientific, "normal," etc. atheists because no one style is going to speak to everyone, so I'm glad Jerry is out there doing his thing.

I'm not familiar with the other guy, so I don't have anything to say about him.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 4 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
25-05-2014, 04:58 PM
(25-05-2014 07:17 AM)give me moon rocks Wrote:  There seems to be a cult of personality surrounding people like Jerry Dewitt and Ernest Perce V. Their religious fervor has carried over and I'm not really sure what to think of the atheist "sermons" that they deliver at various conventions. While they do offer a unique perspective, I have no clue if they're sincere or not.

What do you think about people like this? [/u]

Who? Never heard of them. Small cult? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-05-2014, 05:47 PM
for as long as I have been agnostic atheistic.
I have not payed attention to the debates and names of people etc. Its just in recent months that I have gotten interested into all of it really.

I do not know the name Jerry Dewitt yet but I might familiarize myself with him at some point.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
26-05-2014, 09:59 AM
(25-05-2014 10:09 AM)DLJ Wrote:  It is not easy to fake sincerity.

I never heard of those dudes but I do like Bobby Allison aka The Preaching Atheist. Especially when the fat fuck starts cussing. Big Grin

#sigh
26-05-2014, 10:29 AM
Jerry DeWitt was on one of Seth's podcasts, I think.

And I heard him somewhere else too.

Kind of interesting to listen to in a way...almost parody. He speaks in the hellfire and brimstone manner of the southern preacher but is on the other side arguing against religion. I found it entertaining when I first heard him.

If his singsong manner and 'can I get an Amen' style is what hypnotizes believers, maybe he can feed them more rational info.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
27-05-2014, 06:31 AM
(25-05-2014 07:17 AM)give me moon rocks Wrote:  There seems to be a cult of personality surrounding people like Jerry Dewitt and Ernest Perce V. Their religious fervor has carried over and I'm not really sure what to think of the atheist "sermons" that they deliver at various conventions. While they do offer a unique perspective, I have no clue if they're sincere or not.

What do you think about people like this? [/u]

I actually don't recognize either of their names. I seldom read or listen to any of the prominent atheists. For me, it's because I had already stopped believing in God before I had heard of these people.