What do you think of polygamy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2011, 11:33 PM
What do you think of polygamy?
Jeffs was convicted. I’m sure that even now, certain faithful followers are telling each other this is all just part of the plan, & god works in mysterious ways. Anyway, on the radio this morning, I heard a snippet saying several mormon leaders in Utah had cheered the conviction & condemned Jeffs. Good! I thought. They should say that. But then they went on to say that while Jeff’s lifestyle was absolutely wrong, polygamy should be legalized, because keeping it illegal encourages zealots like Jeff to hide their action. Wow, what clever logic. Sneaky, sneaky.

Then I started thinking, what about it? I’m not sure I can come up with a genuine objection to polygamy if it’s adults & all that. One of the early points brought up in the gay marriage issue was that marriage is really a blend of a civil & a religious union. People can & do separate these already. One idea I’ve heard is that any couple should be able to form a civil union. For instance, 2 elderly sisters, living together, could form a legal pair. And why not? If an “in love” couple can leverage their situation for taxes, for legal rights, for property rights, why not any committed couple?

The nuclear family model is relatively recent in creation & something of a fabrication. Historical traditions have all kinds of unions forming, in whatever way best served the survival of the community. I read of one tribe in which one woman would have several husbands, because the local resources were so scarce, it required the hunting & gathering of several men to support a few children.

The trouble with polygamy, polyandry, & etc, is the extreme possibility for emotional complications, & the way the mormans do it, it really makes the woman the lesser creature. But if that were surmounted, or put aside in the interest of pooling resources, then is there really a problem? And if you can let any 2 people form a union, can 4 people do the same? All ending up with the legal rights of spouses? And how many can be in a group before it starts to be a company or corporation?

How do you see marriage changing in the future? Is it likely or worthwhile to make it possible for small groups of people to combine houses & resources for better survival? This is an interesting line of thought, especially these days with adults moving back in with their parents, or combining households with siblings, nieces, & nephews. Was the nuclear family model of the 1950s a luxury of a materially lush time, an indulgence that might have to become less revered?

Every time you say you don't believe, Jesus rips the wings off a fairy. - SkepticalParenting.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2011, 11:58 PM
RE: What do you think of polygamy?
Who's Jeff, is he that sister wives guy?

I think if polygamy is between all adults who can consent (whatever that means, like they couldn't add an immature- maybe handicapped?- individual or something to the group) and are all aware of the terms then I have no problems with that. What ever floats yer boat.

For me, I am a monogamous person by my own nature, but I don't think everyone is.
06-08-2011, 01:05 AM
Here's a thread from a while back. May be an insight to some of our views on polygamy without too much repitition.

http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...t=polygamy

So many cats, so few good recipes.
06-08-2011, 06:28 AM
I don't have an opinion On polygamy. But if you ask my 7 wife's I'm sure theyl have something to say Tongue.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
06-08-2011, 07:05 AM
I really don't see any problem with it, not only one-man-multiple-women, but the opposite also. If that is what you like, then sure, why not, enjoy yourself. Sexually, a lot of people do it, th swingers, sex "friends", orgy lovers... So why not make it long lasting and turn that sex fantasies into every day living? If you are 18+, of course. If we can avoid those horrible things that are usually connected with polygamy, like child abuse, women slaves, no woman rights and similar BS... In a normal relationship it could work if all parties are mature enough.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
06-08-2011, 08:32 AM
The thing thats weird about it is polygmy is illegal even though its amongst consenting adult everyone knows whats going on and is happy with it yet adultary is legal were someone ends up hurt??

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
06-08-2011, 09:43 AM
(06-08-2011 01:05 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Here's a thread from a while back. May be an insight to some of our views on polygamy without too much repitition.

http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...t=polygamy

thanks.

Every time you say you don't believe, Jesus rips the wings off a fairy. - SkepticalParenting.com
06-08-2011, 09:53 AM
I say as long as everyone is of legal consenting age why should we care? I don't want that many wives and I think it's a lot like guys thinking having two girls at the same time is great. It really isn't trust me.
I personally don't enjoy micromanaging anything, I can do it but see no reason to want to do it. I don't play sim games for this reason, it's just too much work not enough fun.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2011, 12:14 PM
(06-08-2011 09:53 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I say as long as everyone is of legal consenting age why should we care? I don't want that many wives and I think it's a lot like guys thinking having two girls at the same time is great. It really isn't trust me.
I personally don't enjoy micromanaging anything, I can do it but see no reason to want to do it. I don't play sim games for this reason, it's just too much work not enough fun.

I agree it can be a lot of work, but there's always a balance between what makes you happy, and whether the work required is worth the amount of happiness you get as a result.

The idea of laws deciding who and how many people I can have a relationship with is just absurd to me. Being polyamorous can be extremely rewarding for everyone involved as long as they all feel the extra effort needed is worth the payoff. There is a common misconception that the lone gender in a poly relationship has a whole bunch of extra work to do, but it balances out pretty evenly in truth. Often my wife will talk to our girlfriend about things that I just can't empathize with, and are too personal to talk about with someone who isn't an intimate part of our lives. In that respect, they both get a stronger support, and at the same time, frees me up to attend to other aspects of our relationship. And it goes all the way around. It's nice to be able to decide who to lean on based on THEIR needs as much as my own. If our girlfriend is having a rough time, I'll go to my wife instead to ease the burden on her and vice versa.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
06-08-2011, 12:54 PM
If I understand correctly, there is no law that prohibits you having multiple partners, you just can not be married to more wifes. Or the other way around. But if you don't want to get into all that marriage thing, you can do and date whatever, whoever and as many as you want...

Soooo, Stark, you have a wife and a girlfriend? Good for you. I presume it is working OK for you all?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson