What do you think of polygamy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2011, 01:42 PM
RE: What do you think of polygamy?
Problem with poly relationships according to the law is that it qualifies as adultery. Meaning that if I have a girlfriend AND a wife, and my wife decides to leave me, she can claim I was unfaithful. Granted if I can demonstrate that it was a consenting relationship, it won't be considered adultery, but it adds an unfair twist. If I were allowed to marry, then it would be a relationship recognized by the law, which protects all three of us.
Now to be clear, I don't want to marry another woman, but the fact that I couldn't even if I decided I wanted to is, to me, unfair.

Filox > My wife and I have had a few girlfriends during our marriage. Like mentioned before, it's something that takes commitment, but when it works, it really works. The "other woman" we are seeing right now (I like to tease her about being the other woman. It's all in fun) is fairly new, but so far it's going great. She's been in poly relationships before, which makes it easier since she knows what to expect. It's a little harder when it's someone who is experiencing it for the first time, but that also adds to the excitement.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2011, 04:06 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2011 05:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
I don't think my wife would go for it. But she did promise me a whore for my upcoming 50th birthday. Smile But I think she was just teasing.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Personally I don't care who marries whom, I think the government should get out of the marriage business all together.

One thing that would be interesting is how divorce would be handled.

Personally I do not want to share my husband, and I'm quite sure he feels the same way, perhaps that's just the way we were raised...

Although I do think that polygamy SOMETIMES reeks of misogyny, but it probably occurs on similar levels of monogamous relationships.

I think that there are different problems with poly relationships, but I suppose people who are in them work out those problems or split...

But hey if everyone is okay with it in the relationship, then good for them, adultry should not be illegal.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like monkeyshine89's post
09-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Do you hear about the guy who 24 wives and 125 kids?!!!

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
09-08-2011, 08:32 PM
There's always going to be bad cases. Ever hear about a guy who was so protective of his wife that he locked her in a room? I like polyamory because it gives you a nice alternative to splitting up. Usually there will be a primary love interest it's uncommon for there to not be a "third". Even when I'm not seeking anyone but the single person in my relationship I take comfort in the fact that we don't have to. It's nice to be free to do what you want as long as you discuss it together. Sadly many polyamorists actually still really do cheat even though they don't need to. From going for someone who has been discussed as not an option to simply not discussing their side relationships. It's not as common of an issue but we definitely get it. Being a "third" may sound like a raw deal since the other two will last longer than your part, but it's very enlightening and fulfilling to be in a relationship where you understand both sides. Even polyamorous couples tend to run into a small amount of the length versus communication issue.

So yeah I'm all for polyamory, and it would be nice to be as free as places like Tibet which has 8 or 9 accepted forms of marriage. Tibet also is one of the main examples of polyandry when brothers all want an estate and to share it take a single wife.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.