What do you think of the Trayvon Martin case?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2012, 03:24 PM
RE: What do you think of the Trayvon Martin case?
(30-03-2012 03:24 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 03:15 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Even if it isn't a real race issue.. it's about race. I saw an article off a blog a few days ago questioning the situation and it was talking about research and data complied over years at how people react even when not presumably racist. They studied various people including college students on how they react in a test to hitting a button to simulate shooting a criminal or police officer with various raced people.. I found the study again.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/gues...ent-there/

Lately I've also been reading the book, "The Culture of Fear" by Barry Glassner... there's parts in there I noticed that relate when talking about the studies of how people react differently to black relates to actual data. A stat that from 1941 in New York City, 20 black police officers were killed by white colleagues while during that time 0 white officers were killed by black officers.

Even if a person it not outwardly racist, the problem of the US cultural method of propagating black males to be dangerous has lingering impacts on how people may react when they feel their life is in danger.
Wouldn't it be fair to say though that black culture (neighborhoods, schools, etc) can have a legit impact on a person's statistical thinking? Would it be racist or merely accurate to say that one has a better chance of getting shot in a predominately black neighborhood than a white one?

I'm not so sure that's racist. Drive by shooting rates, murder, drugs, etc all would point to the statement being true as opposed to racist.
Facts are racist.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2012, 04:07 PM
(30-03-2012 03:24 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 03:15 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Even if it isn't a real race issue.. it's about race. I saw an article off a blog a few days ago questioning the situation and it was talking about research and data complied over years at how people react even when not presumably racist. They studied various people including college students on how they react in a test to hitting a button to simulate shooting a criminal or police officer with various raced people.. I found the study again.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/gues...ent-there/

Lately I've also been reading the book, "The Culture of Fear" by Barry Glassner... there's parts in there I noticed that relate when talking about the studies of how people react differently to black relates to actual data. A stat that from 1941 in New York City, 20 black police officers were killed by white colleagues while during that time 0 white officers were killed by black officers.

Even if a person it not outwardly racist, the problem of the US cultural method of propagating black males to be dangerous has lingering impacts on how people may react when they feel their life is in danger.
Wouldn't it be fair to say though that black culture (neighborhoods, schools, etc) can have a legit impact on a person's statistical thinking? Would it be racist or merely accurate to say that one has a better chance of getting shot in a predominately black neighborhood than a white one?

I'm not so sure that's racist. Drive by shooting rates, murder, drugs, high school drop out numbers, etc all would point to the statement being true as opposed to racist.

If it is racist then would it be less racist to say poor and rich as opposed to black and white? Or is associating poorness with blackness and richness with whiteness racist? Even if statistically it is true?

What I mean is, being black doesn't mean you're poor. And being rich doesn't indicate that you're white. But when someone mentions a rich person, is it racist to assume that person is white?

i might be somewhat off topic.
That is the true issue right there, poverty. Black people are not more prone to violence, and drugs, that is a disease amongst the poor. When you have few to no options, then crime becomes far more appealing.

Capitalism is a system that naturally favors people who start out with the most assets. If you have a lot of wealth to start out, it becomes very easy to add to that wealth. If you have no assets to start off with, then it becomes near impossible to acquire some assets. The Caucasians of this country have about a century or two head start, and thus have far more wealth on average.
31-03-2012, 03:34 PM
(30-03-2012 04:07 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 03:24 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Wouldn't it be fair to say though that black culture (neighborhoods, schools, etc) can have a legit impact on a person's statistical thinking? Would it be racist or merely accurate to say that one has a better chance of getting shot in a predominately black neighborhood than a white one?

I'm not so sure that's racist. Drive by shooting rates, murder, drugs, high school drop out numbers, etc all would point to the statement being true as opposed to racist.

If it is racist then would it be less racist to say poor and rich as opposed to black and white? Or is associating poorness with blackness and richness with whiteness racist? Even if statistically it is true?

What I mean is, being black doesn't mean you're poor. And being rich doesn't indicate that you're white. But when someone mentions a rich person, is it racist to assume that person is white?

i might be somewhat off topic.
That is the true issue right there, poverty. Black people are not more prone to violence, and drugs, that is a disease amongst the poor. When you have few to no options, then crime becomes far more appealing.

Capitalism is a system that naturally favors people who start out with the most assets. If you have a lot of wealth to start out, it becomes very easy to add to that wealth. If you have no assets to start off with, then it becomes near impossible to acquire some assets. The Caucasians of this country have about a century or two head start, and thus have far more wealth on average.
So, if we look at the stats in 1812, the white crime per capita should parallel the black crime of today. I mean, according to your logic.

31-03-2012, 04:05 PM
(31-03-2012 03:34 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 04:07 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  That is the true issue right there, poverty. Black people are not more prone to violence, and drugs, that is a disease amongst the poor. When you have few to no options, then crime becomes far more appealing.

So, if we look at the stats in 1812, the white crime per capita should parallel the black crime of today. I mean, according to your logic.
No that won't work. You can't compare 2 drastically different time frames.

Do you actually think black people are just more prone to crime, because they are black? Seriously?
02-04-2012, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2012 10:16 AM by germanyt.)
(31-03-2012 04:05 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(31-03-2012 03:34 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  So, if we look at the stats in 1812, the white crime per capita should parallel the black crime of today. I mean, according to your logic.
No that won't work. You can't compare 2 drastically different time frames.

Do you actually think black people are just more prone to crime, because they are black? Seriously?

I had a few points to make regarding this but it's to easy to view as racist so I'm deleting it.

I don't like where this thread is going to I'm gonna end it here. I think it's too close to race baiting at this point.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
02-04-2012, 11:36 AM
For those of you who have already condemned Zimmerman because of the 911 tapes we heard on the news, consider this:

NBC NEWS LIED ABOUT ZIMMERMAN'S COMMENTS

Quote:Zimmerman had said, "This guy looks like he's up to no good. He looks black."
In reality, Zimmerman was answering a dispatcher's question:
Quote:Zimmerman: This guy looks like he's up to no good. Or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about.
Dispatcher: OK, and this guy--is he black, white or Hispanic?
Zimmerman: He looks black.

That example is just one of several things the Media did to stir up national fervor over this case.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
02-04-2012, 11:41 AM
(02-04-2012 11:36 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  For those of you who have already condemned Zimmerman because of the 911 tapes we heard on the news, consider this:

Quote:Zimmerman had said, "This guy looks like he's up to no good. He looks black."
In reality, Zimmerman was answering a dispatcher's question:
Quote:Zimmerman: This guy looks like he's up to no good. Or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about.
Dispatcher: OK, and this guy--is he black, white or Hispanic?
Zimmerman: He looks black.

That example is just one of several things the Media did to stir up national fervor over this case.
Shameful

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
02-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Well... enhanced video of the police surveillance shows welts and lacerations on Zimmerman's head.

02-04-2012, 12:23 PM
(02-04-2012 11:41 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(02-04-2012 11:36 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  For those of you who have already condemned Zimmerman because of the 911 tapes we heard on the news, consider this:

Shameful

To say the least. They may have ruined this guy's life permanently. They certainly put his own life in danger from wackos who might threaten him over this shit.
I'm not saying he's innocent. Who of us can know? But also after hearing his black friend stick up for him, I don't think he can be said to have been motivated by racist ideology. Stupidity, maybe.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
02-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Yes all the facts are to to be in.
I also saw earlier today that audio experts have decided that the screaming recorded on the 911 calls could not have been Zimmerman.

Whether or not the killing was racially motivated or not is besides the point for me. Whether or not he should have shot the kid is the most important factor.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user