Poll: Should it be legal for two consenting adults to challenge each other to a duel and fight a Death Match?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

What do you think?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2011, 03:24 PM
RE: What do you think?
(25-01-2011 10:05 PM)New Frontier Wrote:  I have to respectfully disagree with Unbeliever on the idea of it being moral on the basis that when it comes to duels they tend to be in favor of the one that challenges, but not the one that is challenged, in most cases (at least if way think of challenges in the classic way).

They don't have to accept.

Quote:There would be a certain social pressure on accepting challenges and defending ones honor (like it was when duels were legal). So the one that is challenged must either accept a challenge which he is likely to lose, or live with a dishonor which might have negative social implications for him.

Then we should outlaw all possibly-dangerous activities, because the people who don't want to participate in them will be pressured into partaking in them, and if they refuse they'll have to live with being labeled a 'fraidy-cat.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2011, 07:53 PM
(29-01-2011 03:24 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  They don't have to accept.
Peer pressure has an incredibly strong effect on many people.

Quote:Then we should outlaw all possibly-dangerous activities, because the people who don't want to participate in them will be pressured into partaking in them, and if they refuse they'll have to live with being labeled a 'fraidy-cat.
Not all dangerous involve people attempting to kill each other.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
31-01-2011, 02:29 PM

(29-01-2011 03:24 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Then we should outlaw all possibly-dangerous activities, because the people who don't want to participate in them will be pressured into partaking in them, and if they refuse they'll have to live with being labeled a 'fraidy-cat.

1. There's quite a lot of difference between a possibly dangerous activity for fun (e.g. bungee jumping) and a definitely dangerous activity aimed at killing someone.

2. If i thought that the only social implications would have been that a person would be labeled "fraidy-cat" i wouldn't have brought it up. However, being labeled a 'fraidy-cat is something you get if you're not willing to try bungee jumping, unwilling to go skinny-dipping or not wanting to take a shot of vodka at the bar with your friends and that label usually doesn't last.

3. If we use the old ideas of dueling as a model of how things would be then the social implications of declining a duel would be a lot worse the being labeled a 'fraidy cat. If you declined you would be likely to be shunned by most people which could easily lead to social isolation which kills.
Click here for a rather good article about the health concerns with social isolation.

4. Even if we dismiss the idea of negative social implications it would still not be a moral thing, since with challenging to a duel or accepting one, you are not acknowledging the right of the other one to kill you, you are just hoping for a chance to kill the other person. You are essentially gambling, putting your life on the line to end the life of someone else. Gambling with material wealth is something which i find fine, but gambling with peoples lives is in my opinion unacceptable. I would personally think that it would be more of a moral thing if two consenting adults were to make and agreement between them where one person accepts dying at the other ones hand (assisted suicide).
Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm not too sure about challenge to the death, coz I think thats pretty much against our basic instincts. but I've been in a couple of "duels" with deadly weapons till the semi-major injury O-O I don't see any problem with it really. It gives gentlemen a chance to show authority and a chance for stupid people to die off before populating the world with stupid children.

Does this make me a bad person? D:

edit:I will also point out that historically very few cultures had "fights to the death" that resulted in death more than 20% of the time.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
Find all posts by this user