10-12-2014, 04:17 PM
RE: What do you top your tree with?
We have a fairy on top of our tree.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Christmas trees are almost always grown on tree farms. If you don't buy them, the farms will go back to producing grain. Trees sequester a fuckload of carbon. Grains don't.

Purchasing a real Christmas tree ensures that more trees will be planted. It is an environmentally sound tradition.

As for the top, in my house it's a toque.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
10-12-2014, 05:00 PM
We have an angel on the top with the tree stuck up her ass.

Shocking

She seems to enjoy it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-12-2014, 05:03 PM
I don't have a tree but if I did I think I would leave the top bare.
10-12-2014, 05:03 PM
(10-12-2014 05:00 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  We have an angel on the top with the tree stuck up her ass.

Shocking

She seems to enjoy it.
Laughat
10-12-2014, 05:15 PM
(10-12-2014 04:57 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Christmas trees are almost always grown on tree farms. If you don't buy them, the farms will go back to producing grain. Trees sequester a fuckload of carbon. Grains don't.

Purchasing a real Christmas tree ensures that more trees will be planted. It is an environmentally sound tradition.

Carbon is released into the atmosphere when trees are chopped down and when the wood decays. Christmas tree farms constantly grow trees and are constantly cutting them down. Those trees than stay in peoples homes for less than a month and are than thrown out where they decay and release carbon dioxide.

I'm not entirely sure your theory that Christmas tree farms are saving the environment is all that effective.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
10-12-2014, 05:19 PM
(10-12-2014 05:03 PM)RuthD Wrote:  I don't have a tree but if I did I think I would leave the top bare.

Is this a vegan thing? The trees not vegan enough you? You want to stand up to 'the man' and fight against farmed trees?
10-12-2014, 05:31 PM
We have some large lighted wreaths (pagan symbols) outside, and a big (artificial) tree in the front window, topped with a silver spike. It was decorated quite a while ago in all white lights and silver balls with dark red velvet bows, (I think it was my granny's ??) ... they never take it apart. It goes in a big closet with sheets over it, that are hooked from the ceiling, so they just "take it out" and put it away. No muss. No fuss. Same with the wreaths. The hooks are permanent, they just hang em up and plug em in. They're all on a timer. When the lights go on, my dog starts barking for the first few days .. he thinks there's an intruder.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-12-2014, 05:34 PM
(10-12-2014 05:15 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(10-12-2014 04:57 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Christmas trees are almost always grown on tree farms. If you don't buy them, the farms will go back to producing grain. Trees sequester a fuckload of carbon. Grains don't.

Carbon is released into the atmosphere when trees are chopped down and when the wood decays. Christmas tree farms constantly grow trees and are constantly cutting them down. Those trees than stay in peoples homes for less than a month and are than thrown out where they decay and release carbon dioxide.

I'm not entirely sure your theory that Christmas tree farms are saving the environment is all that effective.

First, I never said tree farms were saving the environment (though I am used to your idiotic accusations that you frequently pull from thin air).

Second, the carbon they release when they decay is minuscule in comparison to the amount they sequester in the ground.

Comparing a tree farm to a crop farm isn't suggesting I have the answers to our environmental ills. It's demonstrating my knowledge of the two types of farming, and their compared impact.

Go be an asshole somewhere else. You bore me.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
10-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Just a star in my house.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.