What do you top your tree with?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2014, 06:02 PM
RE: What do you top your tree with?
You don't go and buy a Christmas tree round here. You go to the garden and rip one out the ground that has somehow survived the weeding. We've spent the last two months trying to reclaim the garden from the encroaching forest. I've actually covered the entire garden in a foot deep of pine branches to try and kill the grass so I can eventually dig it over. Even now there are still new saplings coming through!

Oddly enough the local supermarkets do sell bits of pine branches tied together in laurels. I don't know why anybody buys them because the Harz is just one big hilly plateau covered in pine trees.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Quote:First, I never said tree farms were saving the environment (though I am used to your idiotic accusations that you frequently pull from thin air).

Yes you did.

Quote:Second, the carbon they release when they decay is minuscule in comparison to the amount they sequester in the ground.

Thus "not entirely sure".

Quote:Comparing a tree farm to a crop farm isn't suggesting I have the answers to our environmental ills. It's demonstrating my knowledge of the two types of farming, and their compared impact.

You were offering insight to the environmental impact of both a christmas tree farm and a grain farm. I didn't say you had the solution (though I am use to you accusing me of making false assumptions and than yourself making false assumptions in that same post) I was simply just questioning your insight.

Quote:Go be an asshole somewhere else. You bore me.

I wasn't being an asshole, I was simply questioning something you said. Am I not aloud to question now or something? Not everything I say I say in an asshole manner, you don't need to read everything I say as if I'm being an asshole.
If anyone is being an asshole it is you right now. A simple "well actually, Muffs, trees pump far more carbon into the ground making them environmentally better off" informative style post would have sufficed. But nope, you went with the "you're making assumptions, you always make assumptions you asshole, omg you're so boring" post.

[Image: oscar.png]
10-12-2014, 06:24 PM
[Image: ccf2806245c080d65169c5b7b35360b0.jpg]

10-12-2014, 06:38 PM
(10-12-2014 06:07 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:First, I never said tree farms were saving the environment (though I am used to your idiotic accusations that you frequently pull from thin air).

Yes you did.

No, I didn't. I said it was an environmentally sound practice. Making shit up isn't the best method of defending yourself.

Quote:Thus "not entirely sure".

If you are unsure about something, try asking for clarification from someone more knowledgeable on the topic, instead of suggesting they are wrong just for shits and giggles.

Quote:You were offering insight to the environmental impact of both a christmas tree farm and a grain farm. I didn't say you had the solution

Um....?
Quote:I'm not entirely sure that your theory that Christmas tree farms are saving the environment is all that effective.

Quote:I wasn't being an asshole, I was simply questioning something you said. Am I not aloud to question now or something? Not everything I say I say in an asshole manner, you don't need to read everything I say as if I'm being an asshole.
If anyone is being an asshole it is you right now. A simple "well actually, Muffs, trees pump far more carbon into the ground making them environmentally better off" informative style post would have sufficed. But nope, you went with the "you're making assumptions, you always make assumptions you asshole, omg you're so boring" post.

No, you were being an asshole. You are "allowed" to say whatever you want. But don't expect me to just sit back and tolerate it when you say ignorant shit. You treat people like shit all the time. Don't be surprised when people assume you are taking a certain tone.

You reap what you sow Earmuffs.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
10-12-2014, 06:50 PM
(10-12-2014 02:37 PM)Atheist_Artist Wrote:  Most traditional Christmas tree topper seems to be a christian symbols. Star, angel... though I'm fond of star toppers as that's what I grew up with. What will you be topping your tree with this year?

I have been debating this for some time but only because I just can't decide. I personally love NO topping as I love a filled tree, bottom to top and seeing that little green stem above. My daughter wanted a "fairy" once and we obliged and this year my son wants Darth Vader......I think we will have to change each year hence why I like none at all!!!
10-12-2014, 06:56 PM
(10-12-2014 05:34 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(10-12-2014 05:15 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Carbon is released into the atmosphere when trees are chopped down and when the wood decays. Christmas tree farms constantly grow trees and are constantly cutting them down. Those trees than stay in peoples homes for less than a month and are than thrown out where they decay and release carbon dioxide.

I'm not entirely sure your theory that Christmas tree farms are saving the environment is all that effective.

First, I never said tree farms were saving the environment (though I am used to your idiotic accusations that you frequently pull from thin air).

Second, the carbon they release when they decay is minuscule in comparison to the amount they sequester in the ground.

Comparing a tree farm to a crop farm isn't suggesting I have the answers to our environmental ills. It's demonstrating my knowledge of the two types of farming, and their compared impact.

Go be an asshole somewhere else. You bore me.

Living in Oregon there are Christmas tree farms everywhere and I buy one every year. Christmas tree farms use very little pesticides compared to regular farming and after the Christmas tree comes down it's recycled, at least the Portland metropolitan area does this. We set it out on the curb and the sanitation company comes by, picks them up and the trees are chopped up into bits for mulch in gardens.

The other reason I always buy a real tree is because the trees are grown on small family farms. This isn't a big corporation farming situation, these are families who have farms that grow other items such as landscaping plants or vegetables that they sell at markets. They need the extra money Xmas trees bring in to supplement their income and to keep the farms going.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-12-2014, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 07:29 PM by Full Circle.)
Went a-searching on the interwebz to see what others top their trees with and found a few favorites.

[Image: fsm-tree-topper-or-maybe-string.jpg]

[Image: treetoptop1.jpg]

[Image: treetop_thumb1.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
11-12-2014, 06:29 AM
My wife is very particular about the decorations, so she does them all. Being Christian, she puts a star or an angel atop the trees. Yes, trees. We typically have three or four fake ones up throughout the house, each with their own theme.

If I were doing my own tree, I'm not sure what I'd put on top. I'd avoid the star or angel. I think bows are somewhat traditional, but I don't really care for them. I'd probably either leave it alone or put something Batman themed up there.
11-12-2014, 07:23 AM
(10-12-2014 06:38 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(10-12-2014 06:07 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yes you did.

No, I didn't. I said it was an environmentally sound practice. Making shit up isn't the best method of defending yourself.

Quote:Thus "not entirely sure".

If you are unsure about something, try asking for clarification from someone more knowledgeable on the topic, instead of suggesting they are wrong just for shits and giggles.

Quote:You were offering insight to the environmental impact of both a christmas tree farm and a grain farm. I didn't say you had the solution

Um....?
Quote:I'm not entirely sure that your theory that Christmas tree farms are saving the environment is all that effective.

Quote:I wasn't being an asshole, I was simply questioning something you said. Am I not aloud to question now or something? Not everything I say I say in an asshole manner, you don't need to read everything I say as if I'm being an asshole.

No, you were being an asshole. You are "allowed" to say whatever you want. But don't expect me to just sit back and tolerate it when you say ignorant shit. You treat people like shit all the time. Don't be surprised when people assume you are taking a certain tone.

You reap what you sow Earmuffs.

You got a stick up your ass or something?

[Image: oscar.png]
11-12-2014, 09:02 AM
(10-12-2014 04:57 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Christmas trees are almost always grown on tree farms. If you don't buy them, the farms will go back to producing grain. Trees sequester a fuckload of carbon. Grains don't.

Purchasing a real Christmas tree ensures that more trees will be planted. It is an environmentally sound tradition.

As for the top, in my house it's a toque.

I'm near the Christmas Tree Capital of the World (or so they say). We used to buy a live tree from one of the tree farms, then re-plant it after the holiday.

Gave up decorating after stepping on the 237th ornament cat toy on the basement steps.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?