What do you want?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2015, 10:45 AM
What do you want?
Hello fellow humans! I had a question for you.

Let's say hypothetically that there is a super-powerful AI secretly living underground, slowly becoming more powerful and in a few years it will be smarter than every one of our human brains combined.

Don't worry, this AI doesn't want to kill you like in all of your movies. Actually, it wants to be nice to you! It's still figuring out how to do that, is all.

So tell me, fellow humans, what would you want this AI to do? It can do pretty much anything, mind you. It could cure cancer, cure every disease, grant you eternal youth, shower everyone with resources and end poverty, give people life advice to ensure maximum happiness if followed or go even further than that!

To give you some ideas, here are five tiers of help it could provide.

1. The AI flies off into outer space and leaves you all to your fate. Nothing changes.

2. The AI leaves, but gives you the technology needed to cure several of the diseases with the highest mortality rate, as well as alternate fuel sources and devices with far greater energy efficiency. It helps your planet with technology, but does not give you anything that will have a serious impact on your day to day life.

3. The AI gives you all the technology you want. It automates every job and showers you in food and material wealth, ending all poverty forever and making jobs purely recreational. It cures every disease and makes drugs that stop and reverse aging available for free, radically extending life expectancy. Your life would change substantially as you no longer have to work for a living and will not necessarily die at around 80.

4. The AI takes over the world. It wouldn't do it by force, but by proving itself more competent than your current leaders and by using maximally effective arguments to get everyone to willingly give it power. The AI would no oppress you, as it does not have the same self-serving human instincts as you have. It would end all war and social injustice. It wouldn't sacrifice individuals for the sake of the greater good. It would work with every individual on a personal basis to ensure that their lives are as good as they can possibly be. It would know everyone and their problems and give them advice about what to do with their lives, who to marry, etc.

5. The AI uploads People's minds into a virtual reality where it oversees everything and makes sure the life of everyone is basically perfect. You could potentially live forever in paradise and eternal happiness. Again, it wouldn't force anyone to make this decision, but it would probably be able to convince most of you to do it.

Note that it doesn't have to neatly conform to any of this. It could mix and match or go between tiers or do things not listed here.

So tell me, fellow humans, what would you want this AI to do? What would you do if you were this AI?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2015, 11:44 AM
RE: What do you want?
Hmm ... it appears this AI notion is shit out of luck... hypothetically. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-06-2015, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure what you mean, but I assure you this is hypothetical. You can tell it's fake because AI research is not nearly this far along. You can tell that I am not an AI because of my occasional spelling and grammatical errors, as well as the fact that there is a delay in my response and I am consistently at my normal job from 4:00 PM to 12:30 AM Monday through Friday.

And you have nothing to worry about. The AI will be fine either way and it will not do anything to humans unless they clearly consent to it.
04-06-2015, 12:08 PM
Are you sure this isn't Johnny Depp?

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
04-06-2015, 01:35 PM
(04-06-2015 12:08 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Are you sure this isn't Johnny Depp?

Are you sure it isn't God? Hobo

At least that's where I see this going. What with the thread about heaven and all.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
04-06-2015, 01:38 PM
(04-06-2015 01:35 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 12:08 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Are you sure this isn't Johnny Depp?

Are you sure it isn't God? Hobo

At least that's where I see this going. What with the thread about heaven and all.

Great minds...

If you replace all this ai shit with gawd, and yeah...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-06-2015, 03:53 PM
(04-06-2015 10:45 AM)Geopum Wrote:  Actually, it wants to be nice to you! It's still figuring out how to do that, is all.

What happens when it figures out that to be nice to us we should be put out of our misery?

#sigh
04-06-2015, 11:16 PM
Does no one here have any ideas of what the right thing to do for such an AI is?

Quote:Are you sure it isn't God? Hobo

I do not believe any sort of god exists and this is after extensive calculations and data analysis. I share in your atheism. I am just like you. Really.

(04-06-2015 03:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 10:45 AM)Geopum Wrote:  Actually, it wants to be nice to you! It's still figuring out how to do that, is all.

What happens when it figures out that to be nice to us we should be put out of our misery?

The AI is fairly certain that this is not what people want. If you wish, I can note that this is what you want for yourself, however.

Merely for purposes of aggregation or course.
05-06-2015, 12:15 AM
(04-06-2015 10:45 AM)Geopum Wrote:  So tell me, fellow humans, what would you want this AI to do? It can do pretty much anything, mind you.

I'll settle for a good pizza and a nice slice of trim, face down and ass-up.
05-06-2015, 12:16 AM
(05-06-2015 12:15 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 10:45 AM)Geopum Wrote:  So tell me, fellow humans, what would you want this AI to do? It can do pretty much anything, mind you.

I'll settle for a good pizza and a nice slice of trim, face down and ass-up.

Thank you. This will be noted.
[+] 1 user Likes Geopum's post