What do you want to happen within your lifetime?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2015, 05:05 PM
RE: What do you want to happen within your lifetime?
Proof that some preacher named Jesus actually existed, i.e. that archaeologists find his skeletal remains.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2015, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2015 08:04 AM by yakherder.)
(12-04-2015 12:06 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 09:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  I suspect you mean man-yak. Drinking Beverage

Why do you assume "man" comes first? That's speciest. Besides, everyone know when you mix man and animals, the animal name comes first. So, it would be Yakman, or Yakmen.

If it were due to genetic manipulating, the man part would probably be more prevalent. If it were done the old fashioned way, then yeah the yak would probably come first, as I don't see the human being the dominant one in the relationship.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
13-04-2015, 07:01 AM
(12-04-2015 05:05 PM)Marozz Wrote:  Proof that some preacher named Jesus actually existed, i.e. that archaeologists find his skeletal remains.

This would actually be pretty awesome as proof of a body would destroy the notion of his divinity and ascension. Except then they would move the goalposts yet again and reinterpret the bible and say that it wasn't a LITERAL ascension, it was only the spirit and not bodily.

*sigh* I just wish all of this religion stuff would stop in my lifetime so people could piece their families back together.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
13-04-2015, 07:07 AM
(13-04-2015 07:01 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(12-04-2015 05:05 PM)Marozz Wrote:  Proof that some preacher named Jesus actually existed, i.e. that archaeologists find his skeletal remains.

This would actually be pretty awesome as proof of a body would destroy the notion of his divinity and ascension. Except then they would move the goalposts yet again and reinterpret the bible and say that it wasn't a LITERAL ascension, it was only the spirit and not bodily.

*sigh* I just wish all of this religion stuff would stop in my lifetime so people could piece their families back together.

You might want to read "Another Roadside Attraction" by Tom Robbins....

Fiction, humor -- involving the above subject matter....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
13-04-2015, 09:57 AM
(13-04-2015 07:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 07:01 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  This would actually be pretty awesome as proof of a body would destroy the notion of his divinity and ascension. Except then they would move the goalposts yet again and reinterpret the bible and say that it wasn't a LITERAL ascension, it was only the spirit and not bodily.

You might want to read "Another Roadside Attraction" by Tom Robbins....

Fiction, humor -- involving the above subject matter....
I'll check it out. Thumbsup

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
13-04-2015, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2015 12:08 PM by Adrianime.)
1. Religion to follow the path of old superstitions that people used to do/believe in (e.g. breaking a mirror, walking under a ladder). IOW, majority deist/atheist/agnostic theist (sans dogma). With gnostic theism being the minority.

2. An actual solution for the homeless problem in the US. Involving trade education, paying work, and cheap meager housing (until they become established enough to potentially rejoin society). This would likely have to be done through taxes of some sort, because they way things are now, I don't see an end. I just see it getting worse. Growing up in the suburbs I never, not once, saw a homeless person begging in my neighborhood. Of course it was common downtown. But nowadays, you can hardly find an intersection without a beggar on it in my old town. I work downtown, and see at least 20 homeless people per day on my walking route to and from work.

3. A revision of our (the US) jail system. Non-violent crimes usually do not require incarceration. I'm no expert, but I think better rehab programs, and fines...or some other type of revision can lessen the huge amount of money we put into the system.

4. I know this is personal, but retiring by for me 50 is another thing I would like to see Big Grin.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
13-04-2015, 12:04 PM
(12-04-2015 07:56 AM)AFTT47 Wrote:  More than half of all cars are electric.
An electric car is a car that runs on coal. Bad for the environment and adds to global warming.

(12-04-2015 09:26 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Alien contact (peaceful).
Peaceful? Unlikely. Stephen Hawking had it right when he pointed out that European settlement of the Americas did not work out well for the native Americans.

Sapere aude
13-04-2015, 12:44 PM
(13-04-2015 12:04 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(12-04-2015 09:26 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Alien contact (peaceful).
Peaceful? Unlikely. Stephen Hawking had it right when he pointed out that European settlement of the Americas did not work out well for the native Americans.

In that case we'll whoop their ass à la Independence Day! Tongue

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
13-04-2015, 12:56 PM
(13-04-2015 12:04 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(12-04-2015 07:56 AM)AFTT47 Wrote:  More than half of all cars are electric.
An electric car is a car that runs on coal. Bad for the environment and adds to global warming.

Yup.

I'm convinced that a fair number of people think that houses produce electricity. (No - we're not talking windmills or solar panels connected to the house.)

I've asked people who were considering electric cars where they would get the electricity -- and inevitably they said "I'd plug in at home"....

Almost as goofy as George Bush - ranting on about "The Hydrogen Economy"....

I guess he thought there's hydrogen mines out there - waiting to be tapped.....

Sorry folks...

No free lunch.

If the US wants cheap electricity? Better move everybody in the middle of the country a couple hundred miles east or west -- cuz we need to dam up the Mississippi River and put in some hydro.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-04-2015, 12:58 PM
(13-04-2015 12:44 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 12:04 PM)f stop Wrote:  Peaceful? Unlikely. Stephen Hawking had it right when he pointed out that European settlement of the Americas did not work out well for the native Americans.

In that case we'll whoop their ass à la Independence Day! Tongue

Somehow I'm skeptical that we'll be able to hack our new alien overlords using an Apple Powerbook.

[Image: independence_day_powerbook_5300_1.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post