What do you want to happen within your lifetime?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2015, 01:16 PM
RE: What do you want to happen within your lifetime?
(13-04-2015 12:44 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 12:04 PM)f stop Wrote:  Peaceful? Unlikely. Stephen Hawking had it right when he pointed out that European settlement of the Americas did not work out well for the native Americans.

In that case we'll whoop their ass à la Independence Day! Tongue

If they're nearby neighbours... We might be in trouble.

If they're distant enough visitors that they've conquered time and mortality... Then they may be peaceful.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2015, 01:19 PM
Human population stagnates then begins to decline.

We find life outside our planet.

Revolution in North Korea makes it a Republic.

The Middle East ... never mind that is too far-fetched.

The Chinese demand for horns, tusks, fins, gills and the like plummet.

A coherent, far-thinking third party comes to power in the USA. (as far-fetched as peace in the Middle East)

Fossil fuels become obsolete and replaced with renewable energy.

A unified theory is discovered.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
13-04-2015, 01:20 PM
(13-04-2015 01:16 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 12:44 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  In that case we'll whoop their ass à la Independence Day! Tongue

If they're distant enough visitors that they've conquered time and mortality... Then they may be peaceful.

Logic dictates that they would be peaceful.

In order to develop the technology needed to make interstellar travel possible - it'd take a huge amount of cooperation...

Look at our species and extrapolate ---

We made some impressive technological advances in wartime -- mostly good for killing each other ---

Our space travel endeavors yielded far better results in scientific advancement.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Here's a couple of interesting stories:

Probably some unusual natural phenomenon, but if it is an alien signal, they are vastly superior to us, an advanced type 2 civilization.

Mysterious radio signal from space caught live for first time

There is just too much fraud and forgery that goes on with these spectacular archeological finds, but it's fascinating nonetheless.

Is This Jesus' Tomb? Israeli Scientists Claim They've Found 'Unequivocal Evidence' of Jesus' Tomb

So my list would be:

1. Engineer a small, compact energy source that requires a miniscule amount of cheap fuel. So it could be used for home use and in cars, aircraft, etc.

2. Find evidence of a Europan ocean teeming with alien aquatic life, intelligent life even better.

3. Be able to demonstrate abiogenesis in the laboratory.

4. Develop nano-technology to the point where we can rebuild and even reconstruct our bodies on the cellular level, thus gaining complete control over our bodies medically. No cancer, no deformities, no debilitating diseases, not even minor diseases.

5. The beginnings of large scale colonization of other planets. Becoming a space-fairing interplanetary society that spans the solar system.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
13-04-2015, 11:07 PM
(13-04-2015 12:04 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(12-04-2015 07:56 AM)AFTT47 Wrote:  More than half of all cars are electric.
An electric car is a car that runs on coal. Bad for the environment and adds to global warming.

Uhh, believe it or not, I actually put some thought into that. For starters, coal plants are being phased out. They currently supply 39% of the electricity generated in the U.S. and that is only going to decline. Even in that worst case scenario though, a Tesla car charged by a coal plant still comes out ahead (though not by much) of a gasoline-powered one in terms of greenhouse gas. That's because of the efficiencies of scale. I don't know if the same is true of any other brand of electric car. The cars are only going to get better though.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2015, 12:53 AM
Better energy sources, so that we don't pollute as much or at all, if possible - so nuclear - even fission - still seems like a good option to me.

Better management of the environment.

More equitable distribution of wealth by a fair and transparent process.

Human population control - again by a process that all can agree is fair (a bit far-fetched, but I think we're unfortunately at a stage where even an unfair process would be better than none at all).

Politicians actually doing something useful for once in their lives. All politicians. Everywhere. Working for the benefit of their people and not for personal gain or short-term, populist goals.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
15-04-2015, 08:44 AM
(13-04-2015 01:16 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 12:44 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  In that case we'll whoop their ass à la Independence Day! Tongue

War of the Worlds taught us that bacteria will help if they're martians. Consider

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
15-04-2015, 12:46 PM
I'd like to see the discovery of extraterrestrial life, and a wholesale change of attitude towards our environment so that we stop fouling our nest.
15-04-2015, 01:02 PM
Sometimes when I'm annoyed with small things all I want is for my two year old toenail fungus to go away...in my lifetime.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
15-04-2015, 01:30 PM
How come so many people want to interact with aliens? I think the probability is high that there is other intelligent life somewhere else in the universe. But I don't have much desire to meet them.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post