What do you want to happen within your lifetime?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2015, 02:16 PM
RE: What do you want to happen within your lifetime?
(15-04-2015 01:30 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  How come so many people want to interact with aliens? I think the probability is high that there is other intelligent life somewhere else in the universe. But I don't have much desire to meet them.

For many atheists - it's on top of the list of great things -----

Imagine the conversation ---

Human: "So, do they have religion on your planet?"

E.T. : "Huh? Religion? What's that?"

Human "You know - worshipping god?"

E.T.: "What this "god" thingie you people keep going on about?"

Human "You know -- the guy who created the universe?"

E.T.: "OOOhhhh... that shit... Yeah, we have a bunch of stories we tell the children to get them to behave, and clean their rooms and stuff. All intelligent lifeforms do that.."

Human: "But you don't BELIEVE in God?"

E.T.: "Shit.... just what I thought.... No intelligent life on this planet...."

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
15-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Things that might actually be possible in my lifetime:
1. Driverless cars... yes, I know the tech is mostly here already, but I want to see them available to the average person and with all the politics and safety issues addressed. In other words, I want to be able to afford one and be able to use it on my commute every day.

2. Quantum computers... because they are cool and represent one of the more plausible solutions for the continuation of Moore's law.

3. Manned outpost on some piece of rock besides Earth. Artificial rocks (i.e., ISS) do not count unless they are orbiting another planet/moon.

4. Flexible computing device screens... the kind you can roll up inside a pen and pull out like a scroll to a full 10-12 inches and can be used as a visual interface with any other device I may have on my person or that I walk up to or that I can otherwise "connect" to.

5. BrainGate - but wireless and without all the nasty infection/rejection issues associated with percutaneous connections

Bonus items that probably won't happen in my lifetime (and it is mostly a good thing if they don't):
* Cloak of invisibility... as in invisible to the human eye... yes, I am a little creepy, but that's not why I want this - at least not primarily. D&D'ers who played rogue characters, guys who watched ninja movies as a kid and also Harry Potter fans will understand the non-creepy attraction of a cloak of invisibility.

* A holodeck, preferably in my brain, i.e., direct sensory system stimulation bypassing the receptors themselves and communicating directly with the neural pathways. I don't know why someone hasn't thought of this already. Also, I would rather this not take the form of a giant needle inserted into the base of my skull.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 3 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
16-04-2015, 02:18 AM
Something drastic to occur that will force the US to alter the current political system.
16-04-2015, 10:39 PM
Meat production on acre sized matrices that creates acre size beef rib eye, lamb leg, pork loin and hamachi - as well as invented meats that never existed that are better tasting and healthier than using animals to produce meat.

Advances in our knowledge of mind to make possible:
--- speed learning
--- memory augmentation via external devices
--- consciousness understood
--- conscious control of belief, conscious control of memory
--- improved knowledge synthesis
--- expansion of human comprehension analogous to making a sea slug appreciate Shakespeare
--- development of savant abilities without sacrifice (without being an idiot)

Decline of human operated complex machinery/tasks to reduce errors of execution and judgement in such high stakes theaters as medicine, aviation, transportation.

The first democratic government run by draftees, not electees, at all levels including the PM/Presidency. Yes, this would end the vote - for people, not necessarily for measures.

Overall increase in leisure time, the 8 hour 5 day week becoming the 4 hour 3 day week, WITH accompanying increase in leisure activities of sufficient depth and complexity to engage our more powerful minds.

Decline of nationalism, tribalism, racism such that fear erodes away and humanity's essential commonality begins to drive nations to merge together.

Amendment to the 1st amendment that removes the "free religious practice" clause when it is finally recognized that genuinely free religious practice is indistinguishable from anarchy.

G.W. Bush and D. Cheney et. al. arrested and jailed for war crimes and other felonies in an international court. G.W. Bush's and D. Cheney's grandchildren openly despise them to their faces.

Corporations are released from their legal obligation to put shareholder financial gain ahead of every other consideration.

Hollywood makes movies I actually like.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
17-04-2015, 07:43 PM
I want to achieve immortality in my lifetime. That'd be pretty cool.

[+] 4 users Like Dark Light's post
17-04-2015, 08:09 PM
(17-04-2015 07:43 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I want to achieve immortality in my lifetime. That'd be pretty cool.

Oh that's easy. Just accept jesus into your heart.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
17-04-2015, 08:12 PM
(17-04-2015 08:09 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(17-04-2015 07:43 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I want to achieve immortality in my lifetime. That'd be pretty cool.

Oh that's easy. Just accept jesus into your heart.

Not falling for it.

[Image: -JanLuyken-CrucifixionofapostlePeterRome.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
17-04-2015, 09:34 PM
(17-04-2015 08:12 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(17-04-2015 08:09 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Oh that's easy. Just accept jesus into your heart.

Not falling for it.

[Image: -JanLuyken-CrucifixionofapostlePeterRome.jpg]

It kinda looks like he just fell from the sky in his new flying machine and they're digging him out...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Did earmuffs get laid yet?

#sigh
17-04-2015, 10:32 PM
I would like to see

1. Some form of faster than light travel (extremely unlikely I know but still would be nice)
2. Some type of permanent human presence on another body in the solar system
3. Fusion Power
4. Legalization of all drugs in the U.S. mainly as it makes the most logical sense in my opinion as it can then be regulated and reduce or nearly eliminate the black market while also allowing for a rehabilitative model for helping people with drug problems rather than a punitive one.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan