What do your kids watch when they watch TV?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm very picky about a lot of the TV choices we make for our children (they'll be 5yo and 2yo in January). I avoid all regular TV since I don't want them to be exposed to the harmful advertising targeted at children, but they still watch a lot of the mainstream programming:
  • Sid the Science Kid
  • Adventure Time
  • Blues Clues
  • Dexter's Laboratory (okay, maybe this one is more for me)
  • Yo Gabba Gabba
  • Barney
  • Etc
I've also had my oldest watch some Carl Sagan (more like I was watching it for nostalgia and Badger [my oldest] came up and started watching with me), but I was wondering if there was any other educational programming. I mostly ask this because the churches really push the Veggie Tales (fundamentalist Christian 3D animated show), and I'm trying to think of ways to fill my kids head with a sense of wonder based in reality rather than religion.

I'm open to any ideas.

~ themanchicken
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2012, 06:33 PM
RE: What do your kids watch when they watch TV?
Sexcetera.

[Image: opforum1.png]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
16-11-2012, 06:37 PM
(16-11-2012 06:33 PM)frankiej Wrote:  Sexcetera.
Thank you. Now, does anybody have a constructive response?

~ themanchicken
16-11-2012, 07:18 PM
I think you are doing things wonderfully. I think a big component to watching TV, or any form of media, it to teach critical thinking when viewing it. "Is it a reliable source?, is there an agenda?, is there a special effect to 'trick'?", etc. Also how much exposure there is is key too. As far as the actual programming, science and educational shows are great, but entertainment isn't bad, either. Balance Smile

Religion is history, BTW. With my kids that is often the angle I take. So if they catch an episode of Veggie Tales (I 'busted' my daughter with it a few weeks ago, she found it on Netflix lol) I let them watch it, but I explain where their quotes come from (the book) and why they say that etc. The lessons of veggie tales aren't bad- don't steal, don't lie, etc, etc but the source is something I point out. My daughter just says "I know" now because we've had these conversations before (she just turned 8, I should mention).

As far as specific shows, at the age your kids are we absolutely loved nature shows, mainly animals. A lot of sea life. Both fiction (Nemo!) and real (discovery nature). Kids are uber curious about their world and how it works, what is here and how everything interacts. They are little sponges and just eat it up!
16-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Do you know of any good space shows for kids?

~ themanchicken
16-11-2012, 07:28 PM
How about Bill Nye the Science Guy?

And there's NOVA Science Now. It seems geared to kids, at least the couple I've seen.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
17-11-2012, 12:26 AM
(16-11-2012 07:25 PM)themanchicken Wrote:  Do you know of any good space shows for kids?
Kids that young? Teletubbies is the closest, ha ha. Kidding. Nothing mainstream that I can think of. I like this website (I know, not TV but still) http://www.kidsastronomy.com/ . Until we my oldest daughter was old enough to follow educational programs and was old enough to be engaged in them, she didn't really 'watch' much about space. Wall-E was a good movie in space (not about space per say), I liked how it shows the responsibility of human kind and how our choices could affect our outcome.
17-11-2012, 12:35 AM
I second Bill Nye. Get all the old episodes and watch every one of them with the kids. You'll like em as much as they do.

.......but maybe that's just nostalgia talking.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
17-11-2012, 06:09 AM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2012 06:19 AM by shadostr13.)
Well my kids are older, and this isn't TV...

This stuff is cool though - they are short though. Try Ketchum0ash on you tube.
17-11-2012, 09:43 AM
My kid has been watching far too much tv lately which is my fault. Life has been irritating.

1. Adventure Time
  2. Dora The Explorer
  3. Sesame Street (first half only as she hates abby kedabey)
  4. Sid The Science Kid
  5. Phineas And Ferb
  6. Bill Nye (On computer)
  7. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
  8. Looney Tunes
But mostly movies, she loves movies.

I think as important as it is to get your kids interested in learning by making it fun and approachable it's also a bad idea to oversaturate them with learning. Have some brainless entertainment on top of all the brain food. Kids should be kids and have an open friendly responsibility-less life to a point while they can.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post