What does a hamster know?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2016, 06:45 PM
RE: What does a hamster know?
I have a ass load of rats. Mostly boys. They know a lot about hanging out on my shoulder and blueberries.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2016, 06:47 PM
(24-08-2016 06:45 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I have a ass load of rats. Mostly boys. They know a lot about hanging out on my shoulder and blueberries.

Blueberries, huh? Shy

Rats are smart. You can teach them all kinds of things, and they do try to outsmart you, too.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-08-2016, 06:50 PM
Just recently I learned that cats are pretty good at wrestling.

25-08-2016, 12:43 AM
(24-08-2016 04:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  Be very careful - if he bags the cheese and it melts, he can suffocate.

Dom,

That's a good point. He never puts cheese in his pouches, and I did wonder about it gumming him up. He does put the carrot, and sometimes fruit in his pouches.

This raises the question of whether Felix knows that cheese is not pouchable or whether he just likes it so much that he can't resist eating it straight away. At the moment I'm just reporting what we see, but it is interesting to wonder.

Felix is past a normal lifespan for a hamster in captivity, and looking healthy, so I'm not so worried about his diet. He gets a normal diet of grains and stuff, most of which he stores and we can hear him sorting it out in his nest. I like that, cos it means he has something to do.

D.
25-08-2016, 01:03 AM
(24-08-2016 04:54 PM)tomilay Wrote:  A lot of animals are intelligent. Like really intelligent. They put one and one together in ways we would have assumed was purely instinct or rote not too long ago. They think through stuff. I am thinking hamsters would be one those.

tomilay,

We have a big hamster house with lots of tubes and stuff. The last 5 hamsters have lived there. Each one cases the joint carefully and then chooses a nesting place. They have all chosen the same place, a globe at the end of a winding tube, and the globe is the highest part of the house.

Lots of 'thinking through' there.

D.
25-08-2016, 04:31 AM
Interesting that, Dworkin, much animal behaviour in "our" environment is a modification of natural behaviour.

But your hamster was offered a novel food-stuff (not much cheese in the Syrian desert) and expressed a personal preference. Even a gourmet one!

My friend's yorkie turns her nose up at the supermarket cheapo chicken chunks, prefers the breast.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
25-08-2016, 04:47 AM
I've grown up with a lot of critters in my life...from all the standard ranch animals, to raptors- I'm a falconer and managed a bird of prey rehab facility for years-to exotics, to lots and lots of dogs of all sorts, 16 right now, mostly German Shepherds. Anyone who has owned a German Shepherd (and other breeds, I'm just very fond) will tell you animals are often underestimated. I don't anthropomorphize except in fun, I'm an animal trainer and very aware of learned versus instinctual behavior, conditioning, etc...and I am still frequently knocked on my butt by the reasoning power German Shepherds exhibit. It goes far beyond what most people believe them capable of... I have frequently seen GS's exhibit high order problem solving ability, I've seen them anticipate complex systems and behaviors, I just have no explanation for these things other than a much higher functioning reasoning center than they are typically given credit for.

I love dogs. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
25-08-2016, 05:31 AM
You'd be surprised.....

[Image: 46358ee0.jpg]

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
25-08-2016, 08:01 AM
(25-08-2016 12:43 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(24-08-2016 04:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  Be very careful - if he bags the cheese and it melts, he can suffocate.

Dom,

That's a good point. He never puts cheese in his pouches, and I did wonder about it gumming him up. He does put the carrot, and sometimes fruit in his pouches.

This raises the question of whether Felix knows that cheese is not pouchable or whether he just likes it so much that he can't resist eating it straight away. At the moment I'm just reporting what we see, but it is interesting to wonder.

Felix is past a normal lifespan for a hamster in captivity, and looking healthy, so I'm not so worried about his diet. He gets a normal diet of grains and stuff, most of which he stores and we can hear him sorting it out in his nest. I like that, cos it means he has something to do.

D.

He is a mammal, so I am not too worried about dairy. Things that melt can be an issue in general though.

Things to do and keep the mind and body occupied is an issue for most all pets. Yes, they do need to keep their minds occupied, just like humans.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
25-08-2016, 08:02 AM
(25-08-2016 04:47 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I've grown up with a lot of critters in my life...from all the standard ranch animals, to raptors- I'm a falconer and managed a bird of prey rehab facility for years-to exotics, to lots and lots of dogs of all sorts, 16 right now, mostly German Shepherds. Anyone who has owned a German Shepherd (and other breeds, I'm just very fond) will tell you animals are often underestimated. I don't anthropomorphize except in fun, I'm an animal trainer and very aware of learned versus instinctual behavior, conditioning, etc...and I am still frequently knocked on my butt by the reasoning power German Shepherds exhibit. It goes far beyond what most people believe them capable of... I have frequently seen GS's exhibit high order problem solving ability, I've seen them anticipate complex systems and behaviors, I just have no explanation for these things other than a much higher functioning reasoning center than they are typically given credit for.

I love dogs. Big Grin

Totally agree. Thumbsup