What does having faith mean to you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2017, 07:10 PM
What does having faith mean to you?
I hope this is the right thread, but my question to everyone is "What does having faith mean to you?" Well for me i use it in a different way than most theists do. I have faith in people, things, animals even. Things that are real and can actually fulfill what you wanted in the first place. Like at work when i give someone a new task and i can tell they are nervous, i say "i have faith in you." Whether thats me unintentionally being ironic or not I'm not sure haha. But i know they can do it. Unlike the way theists use it. Saying they have faith in something that can't do anything. Like when someone thanks God or Jesus for something, i always think to myself, wasnt that you that did it? Not God. Have faith in yourself, not a story written by random people. That's like having faith in Harry Potter just because there are thousands of pages about how great he was!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RVAtheist90's post
13-03-2017, 07:13 PM
RE: What does having faith mean to you?
It seems like a word that is interchangeable with trust.

"have faith in yourself' is just another way of saying "trust yourself"

Not bad advice! Smile

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
13-03-2017, 07:16 PM
That's basically how i use it! I just like to use it for real things. Most people today say have faith as in some magical being will fix everything. I might as well start believing in Harry Potter. This is my first time really ranting about my thoughts on theism. Most of the time i just avoid the topic to not piss people off.
[+] 1 user Likes RVAtheist90's post
13-03-2017, 07:17 PM
(13-03-2017 07:10 PM)RVAtheist90 Wrote:  I hope this is the right thread, but my question to everyone is "What does having faith mean to you?" Well for me i use it in a different way than most theists do. I have faith in people, things, animals even. Things that are real and can actually fulfill what you wanted in the first place. Like at work when i give someone a new task and i can tell they are nervous, i say "i have faith in you." Whether thats me unintentionally being ironic or not I'm not sure haha. But i know they can do it. Unlike the way theists use it. Saying they have faith in something that can't do anything. Like when someone thanks God or Jesus for something, i always think to myself, wasnt that you that did it? Not God. Have faith in yourself, not a story written by random people. That's like having faith in Harry Potter just because there are thousands of pages about how great he was!

> In regard to religion, having faith means lacking the courage, intelligence or willingness to think for oneself.
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
Theists generally conflate two different and nearly opposite meanings of "faith".

You are using one of those definitions, faith as essentially a synonym for trust based on either experience, or hope.

Religious faith, on the other hand, is belief in an assertion without a requirement of substantiation. THAT is what religious folks generally mean when they speak of their faith -- some sort of "leap of faith". But they will pull a bait-and-switch quite often, and try to suggest that "everyone has faith"; that religious faith is no different than sitting in a chair without checking its structural integrity out first, because of your past experience with chairs.

In reality religious faith is the diametrically opposed opposite of trust that's deserved based on past experience.

Personally I do not use the word "faith" when I mean "trust". I use "trust". I never say "faith" unless I'm talking about religious faith, and then I usually use the whole phrase, "religious faith". That's because this conflation is so common. It's a deliberate gambit with many apologists, but it's also just sloppy general usage that makes it difficult to have a discussion without talking past people.
[+] 6 users Like mordant's post
Personally I have a funny take on both faith and belief.

Both of those words I say fuck them, I don't believe in anything. I don't take anything on faith. The problem with both is the connotation that I am more strongly attached to any idea than I ought to be. My thoughts and ideas are not my identity. It's totally ok to challenge both. And if you can demonstrate to me that I'm mistaken I will instantly correct any thought or idea in my head. That's not generally a belief or faith type position. What it is is simply a working hypothesis, until something better comes along.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
13-03-2017, 07:20 PM
I tend not to use the word, faith. As far as I'm aware, it is an idea that can lead to trouble. I don't completely trust anything nor anyone. Not even myself.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
13-03-2017, 07:22 PM
I only use the word faith in these instances because i believe trust is a strong word. I only use trust with people I'm very close with. When i tell one of my employees i have faith in them it's more like i don't think you will completely fuck it up. But if i trust them then i know they can do anything without me checking up on them. Just as an example
13-03-2017, 07:28 PM
There are multiple definitions of the word faith and not all are compatible with each other.

In regards to a person/object/animal/etc. faith can be synonymous with trust.

In regards to religion, faith not only means belief without evidence, but continued belief in spite of the evidence.

As far as what it means to me, I would say that religious faith is not a virtue and should not be considered as such.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
13-03-2017, 07:33 PM
I never understood how people could blindly believe in something like theists do. Their main argument is "you just have to have faith." Which is just dumb. But thats besides the point haha. The worst part is when they try to push their "faith" on everyone else. I wont bother you if you dont bother me is my whole thing on that.