What does having faith mean to you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2017, 07:34 PM
RE: What does having faith mean to you?
(13-03-2017 07:20 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I tend not to use the word, faith. As far as I'm aware, it is an idea that can lead to trouble. I don't completely trust anything nor anyone. Not even myself.

I would agree on both points. Even though the common usage has diluted the meaning, the word faith always has a religious feel. There is no reason not to use trust as an alternative.

Completely trusting anything, be it a person, group, even an idea, is dangerous. Question everything and award such trust as is earned.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
13-03-2017, 07:35 PM
OP, I've used it the same way you have. It is such a pervasive word in our society, so it rolls right off the tongue. My intention is never the sheeple religious one.
13-03-2017, 08:26 PM
I don't like the word faith anymore. I associate it too much with the church and my ex-religion. Faith to them is to blindly follow, without question, to shelve your doubts, to shelve your desires, and hand yourself over to God in every possible way or else face eternal punishment.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
13-03-2017, 10:23 PM
What does having faith mean to you?
(13-03-2017 07:22 PM)RVAtheist90 Wrote:  I only use the word faith in these instances because i believe trust is a strong word. I only use trust with people I'm very close with. When i tell one of my employees i have faith in them it's more like i don't think you will completely fuck it up. But if i trust them then i know they can do anything without me checking up on them. Just as an example

The believer seems to feel it means that they are willing to believe anything so long as it reinforces their god concept and doesn't cause any unnecessary worry lines.

Seriously, though, in the context of religion, it means "strong belief in the absence of evidence." Believers take this as a virtue and I don't understand that at all. We should question everything and never take anything on faith. Blind belief without evidence is the way to madness. Dictators are so born.
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
13-03-2017, 10:36 PM
(13-03-2017 07:10 PM)RVAtheist90 Wrote:  I hope this is the right thread, but my question to everyone is "What does having faith mean to you?" Well for me i use it in a different way than most theists do. I have faith in people, things, animals even. Things that are real and can actually fulfill what you wanted in the first place. Like at work when i give someone a new task and i can tell they are nervous, i say "i have faith in you." Whether thats me unintentionally being ironic or not I'm not sure haha. But i know they can do it. Unlike the way theists use it. Saying they have faith in something that can't do anything. Like when someone thanks God or Jesus for something, i always think to myself, wasnt that you that did it? Not God. Have faith in yourself, not a story written by random people. That's like having faith in Harry Potter just because there are thousands of pages about how great he was!

The best definition I've heard is Dr. Peter Boghossian's: faith is pretending to know things you don't know.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
13-03-2017, 10:44 PM
(13-03-2017 07:33 PM)RVAtheist90 Wrote:  I never understood how people could blindly believe in something like theists do. Their main argument is "you just have to have faith." Which is just dumb. But thats besides the point haha. The worst part is when they try to push their "faith" on everyone else. I wont bother you if you dont bother me is my whole thing on that.

When someone says "you just have to have", I hear "you just have stop thinking". What's worse is when someone tells me that I do really have faith when I tell them I don't. Honestly, the arguments and tactics of apologists are the best evidence that there are no gods IMO. No self respecting God would allow the same bad arguments to be used over and over again.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
13-03-2017, 10:50 PM
To me to have faith means to go on perfection by following instructions.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
14-03-2017, 01:44 AM
For me having faith means being indoctrinated, it's deluding oneself into knowing what one or another space wizard want.

I don't find much use for this word, it's too tainted with religion.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
14-03-2017, 01:53 AM
(13-03-2017 10:50 PM)Alla Wrote:  To me to have faith means to go on perfection by following instructions.

From whom? You cannot act independently? Huh

Here's some instructions from the bible. Would you follow these, Alla?

Leviticus 20:9: If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death.

20:10: If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.

Does that not sound just a little harsh? Would you, Alla, really kill your own child were it to curse you?

Perhaps it's time to think for oneself?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
14-03-2017, 02:00 AM
Faith is moral certainty. Angel

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post