What does it mean to be "Spiritual but not Religious"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2017, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2017 08:19 PM by pablo.)
There's a recent study done by Pew Research:
More Americans now say they’re spiritual but not religious

Quote:About a quarter of U.S. adults (27%) now say they think of themselves as spiritual but not religious, up 8 percentage points in five years, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted between April 25 and June 4 of this year. This growth has been broad-based: It has occurred among men and women; whites, blacks and Hispanics; people of many different ages and education levels; and among Republicans and Democrats.

Quote:Many in the “spiritual but not religious” category have low levels of religious observance, saying they seldom or never attend religious services (49%, compared with 33% of the general public) and that religion is “not too” or “not at all” important in their lives (44% vs. 25% of all U.S. adults). But others in this group appear to be quite observant, at least by traditional measures – 17% say they attend religious services weekly, and 27% say religion is very important to them. In both cases, those who think of themselves as spiritual but not religious are more observant than those who say they are neither religious nor spiritual.

I admit to being baffled by "spiritual" people, as it seems to have a thousand meanings and none at all.

Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post
18-09-2017, 12:50 PM
It's just some name for vague woo other than mainstream one, like god I think.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
18-09-2017, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2017 12:55 PM by jennybee.)
RE: What does it mean to be "Spiritual but not Religious"?
I consider myself spiritual but not religious. Wink For me, as a yoga practitioner, I do take part in some of the spiritual aspects of the practice but that's because I feel that it helps ground *me* and not due to some higher power. Additionally, I find connecting to myself is a spiritual journey through my yoga practice. When I use the term "spiritual" for me, I mean connecting to myself from within when all the bustle of the world is tuned out.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
18-09-2017, 12:54 PM
As opposed to rapaciously grasping and materialistic, but not religious Tongue As Jenny is a good example of, spiritual but not religious means you lay claim to bunny-hugger status but feel no need to invoke a deity. Big Grin

Bechased

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
18-09-2017, 12:54 PM
(18-09-2017 12:45 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  I admit to being baffled by "spiritual" people, as it seems to have a thousand meanings and none at all.

Thoughts?

To me, spiritualism is just a half-way house for recovering religious people.
[+] 5 users Like Thoreauvian's post
18-09-2017, 12:56 PM
Squat all Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
18-09-2017, 12:58 PM
I think it's a step in the right direction. From personal experience it seems to be people who have seen that the religious dogma doesn't really make sense and/or that the churches are laden with hypocrisy and don't want to be associated with it any more. They may still believe in a god but it gets ever more vague and irrelevant and that's a good thing.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
18-09-2017, 01:03 PM
So far there's never been any evidence of anything "spiritual". As far as I can tell it's just another word for "feelings" and the warm fuzzy emotions emanating from our brains when it interact with the world around us.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 6 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-09-2017, 01:08 PM
(18-09-2017 12:45 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Thoughts?

Being spiritual means exactly the same thing as being religious means: whatever the person in question says it means.

This is an issue both of people self-applying labels how they see fit, and also of said labels being super vague and poorly defined. Ask any random person what a religion or a god is. You're not going to get a meaningful consensus on either, because people largely adhere to a "I know it when I see it" philosophy on these matters.

A slightly shorter answer is "they're mostly the same, but you're seeing an increasing stigma against 'being religious'".
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
18-09-2017, 01:29 PM
(18-09-2017 12:45 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  I admit to being baffled by "spiritual" people, as it seems to have a thousand meanings and none at all.
Thoughts?

They probably think this position is more defensible (than religion) because its more vague. Facepalm

However (imho) this shows they still do not intend to have their belief questioned and it doesnt speak for much introspection on their side.

Its still intellectually lazy, and i dont respect lazy people. Drinking Beverage

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 4 users Like Deesse23's post